jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What is tthe problem with names that are gender specific?

1. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

What is tthe problem with names that are gender specific?

What useful purpose do 'new age, unisex names' serve?

2. rutley profile image73
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

Don't know Mick......the schools then have to figure it out before the kids arrive on their first day......Hmmmmm....they wonder.......is it a boy or a girl! And the poor kids that have the longest names to spell is even harder!

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Haven't we always had unisex names, Marion, Shelly, Shawn, Gail/Gale, Aaron/Erin?  The unisex names don't bother me as much as the really odd names; Apple, Colorado (saw that one this weekend), Stone, Brick and any other word that people see and just tag on to a human being.  (too many soap opera and romance novel readers)

I miss the old days of Michael, Thomas, Susan.  I'm old.

1. rutley profile image73
      rutleyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No your not.......some of the names are just plain old dumb!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image84
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget Evelyn

4. JKenny profile image94
    JKennyposted 5 years ago

Personally, unisex names seem like political correctness gone too far. Why don't we have unisex toilets as well! I agree with duffsmom, I appreciate old fashioned gender specific names to the silly names you see today.

5. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

the only thing that really bugs me is when people give kids names that are intentionally misspelled.  it sets a kid up for a lot of unnecessary aggravation.  I don't mean names that have different spellings due to different cultures/origins (like Michelle/Michele or Katherine/Catherine), I mean intentional misspellings like Shannen, Danial, etc.  I even encountered Shy-Ann (what should have been Cheyenne).

1. rutley profile image73
      rutleyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget...Chelsea, Chelsy and Chelsie!

working