jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does it really matter if the dress is White?

1. milleramanda53 profile image81
    milleramanda53posted 5 years ago

Does it really matter if the dress is White?

2. cactusbythesea profile image88
    cactusbytheseaposted 5 years ago

No, I think it's great to see people embracing other dress colors for their weddings.  Weddings should be about the people getting married, and wearing a favorite color is another way to show your personality.

3. nochance profile image92
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

White is a symbol for innocence, purity, and virginity. It is a left over tradition from when daughters were the property of their father, to be given away, often with the bribe of a dowry. A daughter was no good if she was tainted or "ruined." A white dress showed she was pure enough to be married.

Many women still choose to go with the tradition but now that our society is changing it is becoming more socially acceptable to wear wedding dresses that are different colors.

I used to watch "Say Yes to the Dress" a lot and learned that in one culture it is traditional to wear a red wedding dress for excitement and passion. White was worn for funerals so the woman was really upset that she had a hard time finding the dress style she wanted in red fabric.

4. bridalletter profile image81
    bridalletterposted 5 years ago

Warming your family up to the idea of color maybe the difficult part. There are so many more color options now. I would pick a dress with a little color. Some just have a sash or bow that stands out. Pick what appeals to you.

working