jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think an elaborate plan makes for a perfect proposal?

1. Stephanie Chavez profile image47
    Stephanie Chavezposted 19 months ago

Do you think an elaborate plan makes for a perfect proposal?

If not, what elements do you believe make for a great one?

2. Cynthia Hoover profile image95
    Cynthia Hooverposted 19 months ago

No I do not think an elaborate plan makes a perfect proposal. Though perhaps that is just because my proposal was nothing elaborate, yet remains a wonderful and humorous story to tell our friends and children (likely the Grandkids will love it one day too). Long story short, mine was unexpected, I had just got done doing the dishes and teasing my then boyfriend about not giving him a kiss because he did not help. He replied 'I love you but you are going to feel stupid in a minute'. I had no clue what he was talking about so I said 'not a chance'. Then came the proposal, and I was standing at the time. So out of a little bit of shock and jitters I sat down, and immediately the kitchen chair broke. So there I was tears of joy, and a sore butt. Here we are 4 years later still going strong.

I think a simple proposal is perfect. An elaborate proposal is great, but I think the simple things are more memorable than having your ring baked into a cake, or delivered in a wine glass to a table at a fancy restaurant. There is something to be said about the spontaneity of a proposal that comes when it is unexpected and comes when the feeling moves the person doing the proposing!

1. Stephanie Chavez profile image47
      Stephanie Chavezposted 19 months agoin reply to this

What a great story! I actually laughed out loud reading about the chair! That is a wonderful memory to share with your kids and grandkids! Congratulations to the two of you and thank you so much for sharing!

3. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 18 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13216416_f260.jpg

Intimacy and privacy are more important than an elaborate plan.
    If a couple has a place that is "special" to them a proposal there is fine. Otherwise it could as simple as serving breakfast in bed with a note. "Lets have breakfast (together) for the rest of our lives...."
    These days most couples enjoy shopping for an engagement ring together. Oftentimes the more elaborate the proposal is the more in doubt the future (would be groom) is that she will say "yes".

working