- Gender and Relationships
Sex and the chakras
Understanding our energy system can make sex more fulfulling
During sex our chakras can be activated and, depending on the level of intimacy between the couple and their level of awareness, create a flow of energy between them that is both bonding and rejuvenating. Our chakras are the energy centres within our auric body, the field of energy that surrounds and contains us and that so many of us remain largely unaware of. In fact it could be said that the chakras are the source of our auric body, each vibrating at a slightly different frequency to create the layered matrix that supports our physical, emotional and psychological wellbeing.
How the chakras work
People who are able to see at an energetic level tell us the aura is a field of light made up of various colours. These colours are generated by the chakras themselves, which look a bit like spinning disks. These disks are not located in the physical body, but within the energy matrix that surrounds us. There are seven major chakra centres within the auric body and each relates to a particular field of experience, as follows:
* The first, or base chakra, is located between the anus and the genitals and relates to our survival instinct. If it has been damaged or blocked we may feel fearful that our basic needs will not be met, or overly concerned with material possessions and money.
* The second, or sacral chakra, is located below our navel and relates to our ability to experience sensual pleasure and to create, including the creation of meaningful bonds with others. If it is not functioning correctly we may have trouble enjoying life or struggle with intimacy and trust.
* The third, or solar plexus chakra, is located above the navel and is the seat of our personal power. If this chakra is out of balance we may feel either inferior or superior to others, leading to our being controlling or controlled within their relationships.
* The fourth, or heart chakra, is located in the centre of the chest beneath the sternum. This chakra allows us to experience unconditional love and compassion for others. When it is blocked we may have difficulty experiencing empathy, or give all our love to others leaving nothing for ourselves.
* The fifth, or throat chakra, is related to communication and self-expression. When this chakra is not fully functional we may have trouble being assertive or speaking up for ourselves.
* The sixth, or third eye chakra, is located behind the brow and allows us to visualise, imagine new possibilities and perceive things outside of the realms of the physical. If it is blocked or under-active we may be overly intellectual and rational.
* The seventh, or crown chakra, is located at the top of the head and is our connection to the greater matrix of energy that surrounds us and of which we are also a part. When this chakra is blocked we may feel isolated and cut off from the world around us.
So what do the chakras have to do with sex?
When a couple has sex there is the potential for their chakras to connect and create a current or flow of energy between them, as in the illustration. However this can only occur when both partners have worked to open their own chakras and there is a high level of connection and trust between them. Usually only some of the chakras will be open so that the sex has the quality or feel of the highest chakra the couple has activated. As they grow together the sex will evolve as follows:
* At the level of the base chakra sex is animalistic and primal. This is the sex of the one night stand or fuck. Though it may be pleasurable sex at this level is purely physical and there may be no emotional or psychological connection between the couple at all.
* At the level of the sacral chakra sex becomes about sensuality. Touch, taste and smell become paramount and the couple enjoy experimenting with such things as lighting, essential oils, music and massage.
* At the level of the solar plexus chakra a couple begin to explore their power dynamic through sex. Dominance and submission play becomes incredibly sexy and the couple may explore bondage, blindfolding and other ways of pushing each other’s boundaries.
* At the level of the heart chakra the couple open up to one another in trust and are able to express their vulnerability. This leads to a very great increase in the flow of energy between them. This is where they begin to experience love and bonding though sex.
* At the level of the throat chakra sex becomes a form of communication. Not only are the couple able to verbalise their needs and emotions to one another, but they may find themselves understanding these needs and responding to them without anything actually being said.
* At the level of the third eye chakra the energetic connection between the couple can be perceived directly either through a feeling of merging or visually within the mind with eyes closed. The couple’s experience becomes shared and telepathic exchanges are not uncommon.
* At the level of the crown chakra sex is no longer merely an energy exchange between two people. Instead it becomes an experience of merging into oneness with all that is. Boundaries dissolve completely and there is a strong feeling of union and connectedness.
Of course sex at any of these levels can be an amazing experience. But where a couple consciously opens the energy pathways through meditation, trust, communication and self-inquiry sex can be much more than just pleasure and procreation. Instead it can become a powerful tool for personal wellbeing and spiritual awakening.
Books that may give greater insight
A best-seller this book is known for its no nonsense approach to contemporary tantra
A great introduction to using sex for spiritual growth and development
Simple and easy to read with a focus on the relationship between the couple rather than personal spiritual growth