Interesting Facts About The Bible For Everyone.
Do You Read The Bible Regularly?
How much do you know about the Bible?
The following is information about the Bible you may not know. I found some of these facts new and interesting. I present it as a courtesy to those who are also interested. Did you know the following?
- The bible is written from actual human history. The authors were touched by the Holy Spirit to write the words (2 Peter 1: 20-21).
- It claims to be the Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16).
- The Bible was penned by over 40 authors from three different continents including Asia, Africa, and Europe. It was written in different locations including prisons, islands, and while traveling many locations. It covers approximately 1500 years. It was penned by fishermen, shepherds, tradesman, tent makers, kings, and others and is in perfect harmony with each other when understood. The scriptures were written as they the author’s were given inspiration by God.
- The Bible is the largest seller of all books ever published.
- Approximately 50 Bibles are sold in the United States every minute.
- The Bible (sorry to say - emphasis mine) is the most shoplifted book in the world.
- The Old Testament was written in Hebrew. The New Testament was written in Greek. Around the world the Bible has been written in 6000 different languages. (I did not know there was 6000 languages)
- The first translation of the English Bible was initiated by John Wycliffe and completed by John Purvey in 1388.
- The Bible was divided in to chapters by Stephen Langton in 1228. The Old Testament was divided in to verses by R. Nathan in 1488, and the New Testament by Robert Stephanus in 1551.
- The entire Bible divided into chapters and versus first appeared in the Geneva Bible of 1560.
- The word “Christian” only appears three times (depending on translation) in the Bible.
- The words “trinity,” “rapture,” and “immortal soul” are not mentioned in the Bible. The Bible is clear that the power of God is through the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (emphasis mine).
- The bible is actually made up of 773,692 words, and takes an average of 70 hours to read!
- The longest chapter in the Bible is Psalm 119, with 176 verses. The shortest chapter is Psalm 117, with only two verses.
- The longest book of the Bible is Psalms, with 150 chapters. It contains 43,743 words. The shortest book of the Bible is 3 John, with only one chapter, containing 299 words.
- The longest verse in the Bible is Esther 8:9 with 90 words. The shortest verse is John 11:35 with only two words, “Jesus wept.”
- There are more than 3,200 verses of fulfilled prophecy in the Bible. But there are still more than 3,100 verses with prophecies yet to be fulfilled.
I hope you enjoyed the above information. The above information was provided as a courtesy by the Church of God International News, Volume 33, Number 4.