Group Study: Purpose
1. You have been empowered to accomplish specific things that only you will accomplish, in a certain way that only you can.
- You are able to fulfill your purpose.
- You have a specific purpose to fill.
- Your purpose is specific because only you can fulfill it, they way only you can.
2. You have been placed around specific people whom only you can touch and connect with, in a certain way that only you can.
- The people God has placed around you are there on purpose.
- There are specific people you are purposed to connect with, to influence or minister to.
- There are specific people only you can reach the way only you can.
3. You have been appointed blessings and resources fit for your needs and specific mission.
- You will have what you will ever need to fulfill your mission.
- God will not provide then leave you hanging in the end. He will be sufficient to completion.
- Blessings and resources are not for self-consumption nor self-enjoyment alone.
- Blessings, resources, and privileges are not the end-purpose, they are always means to a divine end.
4. You possess an identity and character that is uniquely you, no duplicates. With that in mind, you are definitely valuable and irreplaceable in that position of life and ministry God has purposed you for.
- You're not meant to be just like everybody else.
- You are you for a reason.
- You are to let your character and identity be your very tools to fulfilling your life mission.
- You are meant to contribute to His church, His ministry.
Verses for Consideration
But indeed for this very reason I have allowed you to live, in order to show you My power and in order that My name may be proclaimed throughout all the earth— Exodus 9:16
Our life is to achieve two things:
- to realize and experience the greatness of God thru my circumstances, and,
- to glorify and testify to God's existence thru my circumstances.
For You formed my innermost parts;
You knit me [together] in my mother’s womb.
I will give thanks and praise to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well.— Psalm 139:13-14
- Life begins in the womb. Even before birth, the 'fetus' is already a human being, an individual that is entitled to life. There is equal value and identity whether a person is already born or still in the womb. This truth gives as value as a person.
- We are a respectable creation. This truth gives us confidence as a person
- We are a wonderful creation created by a magnificent God. This truth gives us security and satisfaction as a person.
Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to use them accordingly:— Romans 12:6
- We differ in abilities and roles. There should be no comparison nor envying or coveting.
- What we can do is a divine enablement and endowment.
- We are to exercise our giftings equivalent to enablement provided. This means not being lazy or inefficient in our service.
7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit [the spiritual illumination and the enabling of the Holy Spirit] for the common good.
11 All these things [the gifts, the achievements, the abilities, the empowering] are brought about by one and the same [Holy] Spirit, distributing to each one individually just as He chooses.— 2 Cor 12: 7,11
- The Holy Spirit grants spiritual gifts according to His will.
- The exercise of spiritual gifts is for the good of all, for the benefit of all. It's not self-serving, self-glorifying in anyway.
For we are His workmanship [His own master work, a work of art], created in Christ Jesus [reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, ready to be used] for good works, which God prepared [for us] beforehand [taking paths which He set], so that we would walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us]— Eph 2:10
- We are God's craftsmanship; this denotes quality, excellence.
- We are created for good.
- We are destined to live a life of good works, of goodness to others.
Just as each one of you has received a special gift [a spiritual talent, an ability graciously given by God], employ it in serving one another as [is appropriate for] good stewards of God’s multi-faceted grace [faithfully using the diverse, varied gifts and abilities granted to Christians by God’s unmerited favor].— 1 Peter 4:10
Whoever speaks [to the congregation], is to do so as one who speaks the oracles (utterances, the very words) of God. Whoever serves [the congregation] is to do so as one who serves by the strength which God [abundantly] supplies, so that in all things God may be glorified [honored and magnified] through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.— 1 Peter 4:11
- We exercise gifts to serve others.
- We exercise gifts in responsible stewardship.
- We are to make sure that we speak God's Words not our opinions and views.
- We serve thru God's strengthening. We do not rely on our own capability, we allow God to fuel us towards consistent ministry.
- We serve to bring God glory.