- Religion and Philosophy»
- Astrology & Metaphysics
When will peace come?
The Top Ten Reasons to Avoid Those Progressive, Free Thinking Spiritual Paths Like New Thought
To the Spiritual Seeker:
There is an energy out there just waiting for you to bite. It has a set of tricks that look so good. They’re meant to lead you out of your old belief systems. You must watch this energy closely. It can be very easy to give into its wiles. You may not ever be able to return to your old ways of thinking if you capitulate, or even just investigate. Be careful. You just may like what you find.
Ten Reasons to Avoid Progressive Spirituality:
1. They do not believe in literal devils or demons. They teach that you are responsible for your choices. Now, how can you have religion without devils? Well, you just decide to let go of that belief and recognize that there is only One Power. Nothing is fighting for your soul. Hmmmm… No devils? Don’t know if I can live without devils.
2. They accept everyone—male, female, black, brown, yellow, white, gay, straight, old, young, smart, not so smart—everyone! How can you have a good church with all that diversity? I mean, you have to draw the line somewhere, right? Wasn’t America founded on religious divisions?
3. They say that compassion is the way you live out your spirituality. What does that mean, exactly? Simple. Do the least harm and the most good. That’s how you practice God’s love in the world. (Are they serious? Not everyone is loveable. You have to judge some of them, right?)
4. They bless all the religions of the world and your right to participate in them, as long as—and here’s the Catch 22—those religions practice love. I mean, one of them has to be Ultimate Truth, right? They can’t ALL have merit.
5. They don’t believe in eternal damnation. Well, that’s just silly. There are some people who need to be punished forever. And I don’t just mean the Hitlers and Saddam Husseins of the world. I also mean anyone who doesn’t believe like I do. After all, MY religion is the RIGHT religion. So there! (I hope…)
6. They teach that all life is sacred, that we need to be good stewards and take care of the planet. Yeah, right! The world is going to end soon. Why should I be concerned about ozone layers and global warming and polar bears going extinct? I’m going to heaven. No such nonsense there, by golly!
7. They say that giving and receiving is one principle, that what you put forth returns to you. Perhaps, but it has to be 10% or it won’t work. And it has to be to the right church. (Mine, of course.)
8. They believe that we are all interconnected, not only with each other, but with everything in the universe. Poppycock! All you have to do is look at another object to see how separate everything is. The very idea that everything is connected borders on insanity as far as I’m concerned. Right? (Now, what are atoms again?)
9. They teach that you can create your own reality, that miracles are all around you, that you can attract into your life what you really want. Not so. Only God gives out the goodies. And you have to be really good and believe the right way in order to get any of those goodies. The Devil always blocks your attempts, too. Your bad luck is his fault. (Sounds interesting, though…)
10. Finally, these progressive paths like New Thought teach that Love is the only Reality. What the heck does that mean? They say it means that nothing is outside or apart from the Creative Source. Nothing is lost. No one goes to hell. That God lives within us, around us, everywhere. Naw. God is separate, distinct, and lives way out there, far away from this sinful, depraved world. Even though he created it to be just as it is. (I think.)
There you have it. Now, I’m not saying that any of this makes any sense, but I do know that if you want to learn more about this way of life called New Thought, connect with your local Center for Spiritual Living (Religious Science) or your closest Unity Church. Also, there are a bunch of independent centers and churches as well. Start asking around. You’ll find one that suits your interests.
Y’know, after researching and writing this little treatise, the progressive path doesn’t sound so bad. Maybe I’ll check out one of the centers this Sunday. I’ll keep you posted.
But believe as you will. It’s always your call.
For the seeker, the free thinker, the open minded...
- New Thought Blog--Spirit Feast - Richard Kent Matthews\' Executive High Watch
A new journey begins here! Articles, interesting news releases, opinions, meditation, events, and high powered links. Not for the fearful or the closed. This site is only for those who want to grow, to move forward, to awaken. Kinda fun, too!