The ways people pray
Have you ever wondered what this prayer thing is all about. Have you come to the conclusion that this prayer thing is all in the mind and what ever happens in your life is just coincidence and have no relationship to answered prayers.I have come across a few individuals like that. I find them more in the class of the educated.
The bigger the degree is the more they believe that this prayer thing is a fallacy geared to keep people docile and submissive. Geared to keep the peace between mankind. That without this there would be much more murders committed when some individuals look at the injustice meet out to the poor, as they suffer in hunger and squalor. On the other hand some feed their dogs in style and have enough to throw away.
A lot of individuals will tell you that maybe you are not doing it correctly.and maybe they could just be right.
I sat in my bed last Sunday morning and a preacher was talking about the keys to effective prayer. He actually said that they are twelve keys to answered prayers as found in Rodrick Merdith’s Book 12 Keys to Answered Prayers. Which he was giving away freely if you called Tomorrows World at 876:9696673
He actually mentioned three of twelve keys to answered prayers and expanded a little on each .They were
1. Pray about every thing: Make God your friend and talk to him about everything in your life , you hope your joys your fears your ambition just about everything
2. Pray with thanks giving: Always remember that God has some of the qualities of man and as man we like people to show gratitude if you do something for someone who is gracious you will want to do something for him again .Believe or not God feels the same way.
3. Pray with the authority of Jesus’ Name: Jesus says if you ask God anything in my name God is there to supply
He later mentioned a few pointers and said they were integral to effective prayer but did not elaborate on them
1. Approach the kingdom of Heaven Boldly: Jesus says what every you need ask Approach the throne of God boldly do not ask with doubt
2. Claim God’s promises: When you ask believe that you receiving always thank God for hearing and answering your prayer eve before your prayers are answered.
3. God often hears the unconverted: You must not be afraid to ask favours of God because you are unconverted .God Hears the prayers of sinners just remember to ask for forgiveness of sin when you are about to ask God favours
4. Ask for forgiveness. Do not forget to ask for forgiveness of sins before asking God any favour
5. Forgive others: Un-forgiveness of others have stood in the way of many unanswered prayers
6. Give God the praise :When you have gotten your wish tell others about it they too may know of the Goodness of God
He went on to explain that when you are about to pray you should use the Bible as a guide for it tells us how to pray.
The first direction Jesus gave is Go into your room secretly and make you request of God and he will publicly answer. Do not say vain meaningless ,repetitious words to show how well you can pray because God already know what you need before you even ask.He gave a sample prayer In Math6:9-13
It is also important for us to forgive others. In order for us to have answered prayers we must first forgiveness of sins committed However Jesus says if we cannot forgive the wrongs others have done us he cannot for give us.
Follow the example of David by looking at how he prayed in Psalm:51 when he realized he had committed the terrible sin of Killing a man ‘sin order that he could get the man’s wife. With all the terrible sins David committed the Bible said he was a man of God own heart.,isn’t that something to ponder. What made David so special to God. It was that David showed a contrite and repentant heart when he sinned and asked forgiveness and turned from that sin.