- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
Online Bible Verses - Galatians Chapter 5: Walk by the Spirit
Are there things you do that you wish you did not?
My answer is yes. I wish I was not addicted to chewing tobacco. I wish that I would never again lose my temper.
In time, one way or another, these areas of perceived weakness will be addressed.
Paul covers a like dilemma in Romans Chapter 7:
14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do."
Scripture, in addition to my own personal experience, tells me the following:
1. My nature has within in it a flawed aspect.
2. On my own and of my own effort, addressing that aspect is an exercise in futility.
3. God understands my predicament. He offers grace and forgiveness for my chronic failure.
4. He also offers me assistance in tackling my issue. He promises, according to His own schedule, to shape and mold me into the man He wants me to be.
Galatians Chapter 5 above tells us to walk in the Spirit. That is, walk in constant awareness of who God is and incorporate Him into your life. For me that includes study of His word, like we are doing now. He will be there to equip us in dealing with what we could never hope to on our own.