God Requires No Social Distancing
The expression "social distancing" has been in the news over the past months in reference to the coronavirus, also known as COVID-19. Social distancing is an expression that most people know about and use in large crowds.
Since March of 2020, people were advised to maintain social distancing because of COVID-19. In order to lower the risks of contracting the coronavirus, people were warned not to be in the path of people's coughing, sneezing, talking, singing, or any activity that could emit respiratory droplets from their mouth, nose, and eyes.
Social Distancing: Definition
The phrase became popular after the World Health Organization (WHO) classified the coronavirus as a pandemic. Health officials told the public to use the social distancing method to reduce the spread of the disease. So, what exactly is "social distancing" that is also known as SD?
Social distancing is a deliberate effort to limit close contact among people. Even though social distancing is not the only way to safeguard against contracting a disease, it is an effective way to become affected by someone else. Therefore, in order to avoid the risk of being infected with any virus, people should maintain a distance of six feet away from others.
That also means avoiding other social activities such as shaking hands, hugging, and kissing especially with those who are already sick.
God Requires No Social Distancing
It is so amazing that there are rules according to the WORLD. Then, there are rules according to the WORD. There is a contrast between what the world says and what the word of God says. For instance, the world requires social distancing while God wants people to be close to Him. In other words, God says "draw near to me, and I will draw near to you" (James 4:8).
God Wants People to Come Close to Him
God did not coin the phrase "social distancing." Those who know things about God know that He can use anything so that He can get the glory. Therefore, God never tells anyone to distant themself from Him. It is quite the opposite. He allows social distancing among people so there will be less social distancing with Him.
In the Bible, you will read that God says, "come closer," "draw near to me," and similar expressions. You will never read that God advises us to "keep our distance" from Him.
God's "Come to Me" Scriptures
God wants you to come close to Him, and He wants to be close to you. Don't take my word for it. Read the scriptures below that prove God wants a reciprocal relationship of closeness.
- “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” – Matthew 11:27
- “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.” – James 4:8
- “The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth.” – Psalm 145:18
- "But for me, it is good to be near God." – Psalm 73:28
- "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." – John 14:18
- "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted." – Psalm 34:18
- "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” – Matthew 18:20
- "You are near, O LORD, And all your commandments are truth." – Psalm 119:151
Getting Close to God
It should be the desire and goal of every Christian to be close to God. You can get close to God by participating in the following spiritual disciplines consistently.
- Read God's word on a regular basis to know what is on God's mind and what is in His heart.
- Pray to God and tell Him what is on your mind and what is in your heart.
- Praise God even when you don't feel like it. God inhabits the praises of His people.
- Worship God in spirit and in truth. You do not have to be in a church among others to worship God. You can worship God any time even when you are alone.
- Meditate on God and things relating to God.
- Sing to God and make a joyful noise in your hearts to the Lord.
- Have faith and believe that it pleases God when you are near to Him.