- Religion and Philosophy
Group Study: Life Principles from Matthew 6
Matthew 6:1 “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven."
a. What does Jesus warn us NOT to do?
b. What is the consequence if we do it?
c. Why do you think "b."(above) will happen if we do "a."(letter 'a' above)?
d. Share another verse that talks about principles on doing good things.
Matthew 6: 7 "...your Father knows what you need before you ask him."
e. If God already knows what we need, what is the reason or purpose for praying? Share 1 to the group.
f. Share another verse about prayer.
Matthew 6:5 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward."
g. What does Jesus warn us NOT to do?
h. What is the consequence if we do that?
i. What do you think this consequence means?
Principles on Prayer
(Take some time individually to read and reflect.)
1. Pray in Secret. Matthew 6: 6 "But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
2. Pray sincerely. Matthew 6:7 “And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.
3. Acknowledge God's place in your life. Matthew 6:9 “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name."
4. Desire His Will in your very life. Matthew 6:10 "Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
5. Submit your needs. Matthew 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread."
6. Recognize and Settle your faults. Matthew 6:12 "and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
7. Realize you weaknesses and seek protection. Matthew 6:13 "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil."
8. Be authentic and "principled". Don't be self-centered. Live the life that you expect other Christians ought to live. Do to them, what you want to be done for you. Act in a way that you would want others to act towards you. Matthew 6:14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, 15 but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
j. Share 1 aspect above that you need to work on more.
Matthew 6 19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust[e] destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
k. What does it mean to lay treasures on heaven? What are you to do?
l. Share your thoughts on Matthew 6: 21
m. It is easy to see how you are spending your life right now. Are you making worthwhile choices?
Here are some assessment questions to think about:. Take time to write in your personal journal.
1. What are my top 3 priorities right now?
2. What do I want to "get most' at this stage?
3. What do I want to "accomplish" at this stage and why?
4. What is important to me that people "see", notice, or realize about me?
(this may or may not be shared)
State of Mind and Heart
(Take time to individually read and reflect)
Matthew 6: 22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, 23 but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!
It is important to keep checking yourself for rightness. Many times we confuse and misunderstand life and ourselves and we mislead ourselves or get mislead. How can we stay on the right thoughts, understanding, and pursuits?
1. Keep Learning God's Word. The Bible gives clear guidelines. Keep going back to our manual.
2. Be with the better crowd. Be influenced by the right people for the right habits and goals.
3. Be humble. Know your limits and seek help and enlightenment regularly.
4. Be bold. Know the things you must take a stand on and don't be afraid to make a difference for the right things.
5. Be sensitive. Always listen, in search for the right things to learn. Filter the wrong things out of your mind and heart.
n. Share 1 above which you need to work on more.
Matthew 6: 24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.Think: We live for someone or something. Who or what is driving your life?. Why do you do the things that you do? Who do you want to please? The things that we do and the way we act; these are all DECISION points.
We either live for God or others.
We either live for God or for ourselves.
We either act to impress God or others.
We either act to please God or others.
We do things to satisfy God or ourselves.
o. Sometimes, we can do all- please God, others, and ourselves, at the same time. And this is the aim. Share 1 way this can happen more.