How to Make a Witches Bottle
Making a Witches Bottle
Witches Bottles are traditionally used to protect oneself from harm and negative energies. The premise is that you make the bottle and then bury it on your property to empower that area with the spell contained therein.
The simplest form of a Witches Bottle would of course be a sealed glass container with some relevant ritual or charged items enclosed. For example: a Protection from Gossip Bottle could contain sharp items such as pins or nails, along with some hot pepper. The implication of intent being that should someone gossip about you, their own sharp tongue would burn.
Not all bottles were for protection, any spell or 'intent' can be made in a witches bottle. They are easy to make and when decorated, can make an attractive gift to someone.
The Navenby Witch Bottle circa 1830
Love Attraction Bottle
Let's make a Love Attraction Bottle. You will need items relevant to passion and love, such as rose petals, cinnamon, amber and of course a dash of hot pepper to make things spicy. First prepare some Moonwater. This is done on the night of a Full Moon, using filtered water in a clear glass bottle. I use old olive oil bottles as they are a good size and can often be corked. Fill the bottle with the water and place it outside where the Moon can shine upon it all night. For a more potent Water, you can leave it out three days before the Full Moon and three days after.
- Prepare an empty glass container by cleaning it and allowing to air dry. Make sure it can be sealed either with a cork or a lid.
- Prepare your Moonwater and set it aside until you are ready to add it to your bottle.
- Gather your items and have them ready to be added one by one to the bottle. We are using rose petals, cinnamon, rose quartz, crushed red pepper and some lavender oil.
- Prepare your 'spell' or message of intent. Write it on a piece of paper small enough to roll up and put in the bottle. This may or may not be in the form of a rhyme. You will repeat this as a chant as you add items into the jar. For example: Goddess bring me love and joy.
- Repeat your chant as you add each item. Add rose petals to the bottle. Chant. Add a couple of drops of lavender oil. Chant. Roll up your intent and insert it into the bottle. Chant. Add your rose quartz. Chant. Add some cinnamon. Chant. Place the cork and shake gently. Uncork and add in two more drops of lavender oil and a small pinch of red pepper. Chant. Fill the bottle with the Moonwater seal it and chant for the final time.
- Bury the bottle near an entrance to your home. If you have no garden, a container of soil with a plant in it will do. Even better if that plant is a rose.
Intent of Witches Bottles
You can use a Witch Bottle in pretty much any way that you choose, similar to a poppet or voodoo doll. I always suggest that you consider your actions carefully and that influencing another person's right to choice can be risky. When seeking a partner in life remember that love spells cast upon yourself are always a good thing. Who can resist a loveable person?
Most of all, have fun, be kind to each other and use your bottles wisely!