A Beginner's Meditation Experience
Doubts... Doubts... Doubts...
Everyone in this world wants peace of mind, prosperity & happiness. I also one of those. But as we grow up we experience there are hell lot of tensions to face. In limited span of time we have to achieve many things. It becomes a bigger tension when we see our colleagues buying cars, homes. Everyday updates from friends on Facebook and Whatsapp adds to this tension. This then becomes a non ending story.
But there was one of my friend who was not this race. One day I decided to ask him "Doesn't he get tensed?". I asked him about his secret. He smiled at me and said "I will tell you the secret provided you need to commit and practice what I tell for few days". I told him "I will follow what you say". Even though I was doubtful I said Ok let me give a try.
I thought he will tell me some philosophy or might give me some magic trick. To big surprise He told me "he practices Yoga & meditation daily". That put me in a dilemma. I thought, my friend is MAD either or I went to a wrong person.
I asked him, Do I need to practice yoga and meditation? Generally old People practices like yoga and meditation. Are you serious about what you are asking me to practice? I can join some sports, gymnastic or aerobic classes Meditation is not for me.
I said in this age of science technology is so much advanced. All these practices are old. He smiled at me and showed me this video which created curiosity about meditation in me. Which I thought I must share with you all.
Meditation Then and Now
Why to Meditate?
I Asked my friend Why should I meditate? How do I meditate?
And he started telling me I have become more confident after doing this and all (I was smiling but can't show him).
- He told me meditation helps in quick stress relief.
- It is quick solution which can rejuvenate you in 10-15 minutes.
- Meditation improves concentration, improves memory power.
- It brings focus in work and all.
- Your quality of sleep improves after meditation.
- Meditation helped him in keeping him calm & healthy.
He kept telling me why to meditate & I kept listening.
Now the next question was HOW TO MEDITATE. Are there any tips for meditation? Is there any way to meditate? Do I need to learn it from someone or will you teach me? I asked him.
He Answered in this modern age of technology you can try "online guided meditation". It is the easiest way of learning meditation. It is free also. I said "I will give a try."
I decided "let's give a try to meditation"
My First Meditation Experience:
After listening to the benefits of meditation I decided to do the meditation.
I sat down and closed my eyes.
For the first time I was going to do something like this.
I started following instruction given by the instructor. It was different experience for me. I could here nice flute in background.
I had lot of thoughts in mind but I wanted to learn this new technique for calm mind called "Meditation"
I was listening to the instructions & taking deep breaths. Every instruction and music made me feel better.
After some time I realized there were less thoughts. My head was free from thoughts. I am becoming more and more calm & feeling lighter & better.
That's it.. Yes I was meditating... :)
After some time soft voice said, "you may open your eyes" & I opened my eyes. I was feeling like continuing this for some more time.
I observed there was a change. I was smiling :) Mind was quiet. No more questions. Yes something had changed but I didn't know what was that?
I could feel it. I thanked my friend for sharing this secret of meditation with me.
Meditation... It really Rocks :)
After first meditation life is more peaceful than before. It is a nice experience. Now I am practicing it for almost more than a year.
It is good to have calm mind and cool head among lot of noise around. Small problems hardly bother any more.
Attitude towards life gets changed from problem to challenge. I like to say Life is beautiful with more confidence
My Tips for Good Meditation Experience
My Tips for Awesome Meditation Experience
When you want to meditate keep few things in mind.
- Don't think about anything. If you have to finish some task finish it first. Give this 30 minutes for yourself.
- Don't worry about anything - Even if you worry about your problems it doesn't solve any problem. But meditation might give you a solution when you sit peacefully you might realize what is actual problem and what is solution to it.
- Just enjoy the peace of mind - When you sit for some time you will see all the disturbing thoughts are reduced, now don't think why is it happening to you. Nothing wrong. Always keep in mind you are peaceful by nature.
Thoughts come and go just be with those thoughts it might be good thoughts or sometimes even bad thoughts, Don't try to avoid any thought, if you do not try to avoid thought you will feel better once you finish your meditation.
- Stick to a schedule & fixed time for meditation
- Select a peaceful spot in your home where no one will be there to disturb you at least for half an hour.
- You can even play some soft music sometimes or try some guided meditation when you are not feeling good.
- Don't over do meditation because you start feeling better. Keep the balance.
- Don't get up suddenly after meditation take 4-5 minutes rest & then get up from your place.
- Enjoy your meditation with a big smile on your face.
Buy Meditation Music
Myths about Meditation
Recently I came across some myths about Mediation and thought let me share about it also.
Myths are like
1. Meditation is Concentration - In my experience meditation is definitely not concentration. When I sit for meditation I think about many things during meditation. But I think after meditation whatever work I do I am able to concentrate better now.
2. Meditation is sitting for hours folding legs- It is not necessary to sit cross legged I sit on my chair & do meditation and have same experience which I get when I sit cross legged.
3. Meditation is for senior citizens & it is not cup of youngsters - I think it is for everyone. There is no restriction of age to meditate.
4. Meditation is a way to keep away from problems in life - Meditation is not a magic which will give all the things ready made for you. It will give you strength to face any challenge in life with smile.
5. It is a religious activity - If stress is there for all religions, then I think meditation is also for all. It is a natural stress reliever we need not call it religious.
6. it is controlling thoughts - No need to control or suppress any thought it is just letting your mind wonder wherever it wants.
7. It is self control like hypnotism - I have never experienced this.
And initially I also thought it is true because of misconceptions I had as a beginner. I came across this article on myths about meditation which made most of my doubts clear.
Try this Guided Meditation
Scientific Research On Meditation
- Research on meditation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Harvard Study Unveils What Meditation Literally Does To The Brain | Collective-Evolution
Numerous studies have indicated the many physiological benefits of meditation, and the latest one comes from Harvard University. An eight week study conducted by Harvard researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) determined that meditation l
- Meditation Can Literally Keep Your Brain Young: Study
Preserving the brain's most important tissue -- the neuron-rich gray matter -- could be accomplished through meditation, according to a new study at the University of California at Los Angeles. As early as the mid-to-late 20s, the brain starts to ...
- Research on Transcendental Meditation
More than 350 peer-reviewed research studies on Transcendental Meditation have been published in over 160 scientific journals.
- Neuroscientists Talk Benefits of Meditation, Mindfulness At Symposium | eugeneweekly.com
In 1992, two neuroscientists, Richard Davidson and Clifford Saron, trekked into the hills around Dharamsala in north India to measure the brain waves of Tibetan Buddhist monks. Although the journey did not yield empirical data, it was a turning point
- 7 Ways Meditation Can Actually Change The Brain - Forbes
Science is showing that meditation is very deserving of its newfound fame.