What is Islam?
The submission of man to His Creator is the essence of Islam ( Islam is an Arabic word means Peace). The name “Islam” is chosen by God (Allah in Arabic) and not by human. It is the same unifying Message revealed to all the Prophets and Messengers by Allah and which they spread amongst their respective nations. In its Final form it was revealed to Muhammad (Peace & Mercy of Allah be upon him) as a complete Message to whole mankind. As Muslims believe Lord, Allah, is the True and Only Creator that deserves to be worshipped. No worship is worthy if being given to a stone, statue, Prophets, Messengers (Yes! Muslims do not worship Muhammad-peace be upon him but believe on him as a messenger)
ALLAH, is the Name of the One True God. His Name is not chosen by man and does not have a number or gender. It is known that Allah is the Name of God in Aramaic, the language of our beloved Prophet Jesus (Peace Be upon him) and a sister language of Arabic. The Name “Allah” has been used by all previous Prophets starting with Adam and by the last and final Prophet, Muhammad (Peace be upon them all).
What do Muslims Believe in?
Muslims believe in the following:
- One God Allah : He is free of any need for others. He is the sole Creator of all that which pleases Him (and that which doesn't).Allah has ordered His creation and forbidden them only in ways which are in their best interest.
- Angles created by him: Muslims believe that among Allah creation is angels. Created from light. A Muslim must believe in all angels including the ones that mentioned in Quran like Mika’il, Israfil and Malik.
- Believe in the revealed books: Six specific books mentioned in the Qur'an:
- As-Suhuf of Ibrahim (Ibraham, peace be upon him). and Musa (Moses) (peace be upon him). .
- Az-Zaboor (Zabur) given to Daud (David) (peace be upon him). .
- At-Taurat (Torah) revealed to Musa (Moses) (peace be upon him). .
- Al-Injeel (Bible) revealed to Isa (Jesus) (peace be upon him). .
Al-Qur'an - the final revelation revealed to Mohammed (peace be upon him).
- Believe in Prophets through whom his messages brought to mankind :Believe in the the process of prophet-hood. Allah in His wisdom did not neglect His creation, so prophets sent to guide us in this life and the next like Moses, Jesus, Noah. etc (peace be upon all of them)
- Judgment day when people held responsible for their actions during their life time (event of Qiyamah)
- Belief in the resurrection. Reconstruction of the body and return of the soul to it. People will come forth out of their grave rushing to Caller in judgment day (event of Qiyamah)
- Belief in the predestination by Allah of all things, both the (seemingly) good and the (seemingly) bad.
Pillars of Islam:
There are five of them,
- Declaration of faith: to believe in Allah as the creator, and no god but Allah.
- Obligatory Prayers (Salat) : Salat is the Arabic term for prayer. Its five times a day performed by standing, bowing and prostrating
- Zakat (compulsory giving), this is one of the most important principles of Islam. Spending money in charity is highly recommended but this is different. Muslims who own livestock, harvests, and large business have to give away certain amount of his/her wealth value to the poor annually. There is certain percentage for each kind and it’s a bit complex process.
- Fasting the month of Ramadan (Siam). Ramadan is a month in Islamic Lunar year where Muslims don’t eat, drink, have sex, or do sins. Its either 29th or 30 days long. Sick people, pregnant ladies, nursing mothers don’t have to do it but they have to make up the days later. If they are physically unable to make up the days they have to feed a needy person for everyday missed if they are financially able. Elderly don’t have to do it or make up the days.
- Haj (Pilgrimage to Makkah): Haj is the commemoration of prophet Ibrahim’s obedience to Allah. Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) build the Ka’ba (the first house in earth for Allah’s worshipping) with his son prophet Ishmael (peace be upon him)