- Religion and Philosophy»
- Paranormal Beliefs & Experiences
Superstitions: Are You Scared Yet?
Some Are Good And Some Are Bad!
Have you ever held your breath as a black cat crossed your path or avoided stepping on a crack even if it meant you had to skip in public? How about walking under a ladder. Could you do it and do you know why it's supposed to be so bad?
Some superstitions still live in this modern world. Most of us think they are all bad, but some omens are actually considered good. For instance, in some parts of the world, having a black cat cross your path means good fortune. You even get to make a wish!
Superstitions are alive and well and here are a few that I found very interesting.
A Frog, a Caterpillar, and a Baby Walk Into A Bar...
- Never give this green stone on a Monday. It's considered bad luck.
- When an emerald is given any other day of the week, good luck will prevail.
- Placing an emerald under one's tongue will allow them to conjure evil spirits.
- The pain of childbirth is supposed to be lessened when an emerald ring is worn during delivery.
- It is bad luck to have an apron fall off while wearing it.
- The same action can also mean that the person wearing it will have a child within 12 months.
- Seeing a woman wearing a white apron, while on their way to a boat, is a bad omen for fisherman.
- If a person's ears are small, they are considered to be mean.
- If the ears are large, this person should be generous.
- Persons wise beyond their years are believed to have long ears.
- If your right ear tingles, someone is speaking good of you.
- If your left ear tingles, harmful rumors are being spread about you.
- If one buttons up clothing incorrectly while dressing, it is considered bad luck unless the wearer takes off the item and then puts it back on.
- Giving buttons as a gift brings good luck.
- Finding a button in the street means new friendships will be made.
- When contemplating between right or wrong, a person can let their buttons decide. If they count an even number they are right. An odd number of buttons suggest that they are wrong.
Daddy Long Legs a.k.a. Harvestmen:
- Protecting these arachnids during harvest will ensure good crops and bring good luck to the reapers.
- If one has a missing cow, ask a daddy long legs where it went. Upon asking the question, it is believed one leg will raise and point out the direction of the missing cow.
- A baby born with teeth is believed to be selfish later in life. This is also supposed to indicate an early death or that they will be a murderer.
- A baby nursing for the first time, should be fed from the right breast first. If not, they will be left-handed. (Is that a bad thing?)
- To protect a baby against colic, they should be carried through the house three times after it is brought home for the first time.
- Kissing a newborn is good luck for the baby and the kisser. It is also believed that the first person to kiss the newborn after the mother will give their temperament to the baby. That could be a good or bad thing!
- Short, fat fingers means a person is dim-witted, while long skinny fingers is believed to signify intelligence. (I take issue with this one!)
- The forefinger on the right hand is also known as the 'poison finger' and should never be used to rub any kind of ointment into a wound.
- A crooked finger may indicate that the person will die rich.
- Good luck comes to those born with extra fingers.
- Hanging a calendar before the new year has come, is considered bad luck.
- Unlucky days by month:
January - 1, 2, 4, 5, 10, 15, 17, 29.
February - 8, 10, 17, 26, 27, 28.
March - 16, 17, 20.
April - 7, 8, 10, 16, 20, 21.
May - 3, 6, 7, 15, 20.
June - 4, 8, 10, 22.
July - 15, 21.
August - 1, 19, 20, 29, 30.
September - 3, 4, 6, 7, 21, 23.
October - 4, 6, 16, 24.
November - 5, 6, 15, 20, 29, 30.
December - 6, 7, 9, 15, 22, 28.
- The sudden appearance of a frog in the house is bad luck.
- Finding a frog outside is considered lucky.
- Some think that frogs are the reincarnated spirits of dead children so it's unlucky to kill one.
- To make someone reveal their secrets, place the tongue of a live frog on them as they sleep.
- The caterpillar is the work of the devil, according to some.
- Tossing a hairy caterpillar over one's left shoulder will bring good luck.
- To cure whopping cough, a caterpillar was placed in a bag and worn around the neck. As the caterpillar died, the cough lessened and the patient was cured.
- A young girl can find out how old she'll be when she meets her true love by counting the times a ball bounces after she throws it at a wall.
- To catch a ball an odd amount of times means a young girl will be an old maid.
- It is unlucky to carry new golf balls still in packaging onto the course.
- If a chair falls over when someone is standing to leave, this signifies that person has been telling lies.
- When a chair is passed over the table an argument is about to happen.
- A woman's wedding is delayed by as much as a year if she knocks over a chair accidentally.
- Gamblers believe that they can change their luck by turning a chair around three times or walking around it three times.
- Babies that are born feet first are believed to have special healing powers.
- A man that has a second toe longer than the first is thought to be a mean husband.
- A woman that has a second toe longer than the first is believed to be a bully to her husband.
- Bad luck will fall upon the person that tries to put their left foot into their right shoe.