The ALMIGHTY GOD
The ALMIGHTY GOD, El Shadday
Who IS THE ALMIGHTY GOD? The title ‘Almighty God’ is used 432 times in the entirety of the Bible. The Hebrew word for ‘Almighty’ is Shadday. El Shadday is The Almighty God.
- In Exodus 6:3 we read, “and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name, YHWH, I did not make Myself known to them.”
Has He made Himself known to you? Though various doctrines that claim to follow the same God agree God is The ALMIGHTY, to make Jesus out to be THE ALMIGHTY GOD is something many would struggle with, for to admit this as the Truth is to say He is the same God as God the Father; in fact, we would have to conclude He IS the One, True GOD. Otherwise, we have two ALMIGHTY GODs, each not being the other in Person and authority. Even if we were to say The Almighty God GAVE the title of ‘Almighty God’ to the Son and GAVE all authority to the Son, we still have to agree that the One who gives the title and authority to another is greater than the One receiving it. Thus, I pose the quesiton, "Is Jesus The Almighty God"?
The Alpha and Omega, First and Last, Beginning and End
Let’s see what the Bible has to say about the matter, mainly from God Himself, His righteous servant Job, His Prophet Isaiah, Jesus Christ Himself, His Apostle John and His Apostle Paul.
We will start out with the words of Jesus found in Revelation 22:13:
“I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."
Next, we’re going to look up each title and compare other scriptures in the Bible where these titles are used. “The Beginning and the End” is intertwined in the following scriptures so there is no need for repetition.
The ALPHA and The OMEGA
Rev 1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."
- John 14:3 “If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.”
Rev 21:6 “And He also said, "It is finished! I am the Alpha and the Omega--the Beginning and the End. To all who are thirsty I will give freely from the springs of the water of life.”
- John 19:30 “Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.”
- John 4:14 “but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life."
The FIRST and The LAST
Isaiah 41:4 “Who has done such mighty deeds, summoning each new generation from the beginning of time? It is I, the LORD, the First and the Last. I alone [ani – Myself] am He."
*For the Greek: http://biblos.com/isaiah/41-4.htm
Isaiah 44:6 “This is what the LORD says--Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the First and I am the Last; apart from Me there is no God.”
Rev 1:17 “When I saw Him, I fell at His feet as if I were dead. But He laid His right hand on me and said, "Don't be afraid! I am the First and the Last.”
Rev 2:8 “And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: The First and the Last, who was dead, and has come to life, says this:”
It’s quite startling to read these passages and not have some questions. The MATH speaks for itself. If the First and the Last is the LORD Almighty and apart from Him there is no God, and that same First and Last was dead and has come to life again, the Almighty God is none other than Jesus Christ Himself (Yahshua means YHWH Saves)!
Alone, by Myself, saith the LORD
You may have noted in Isaiah 41:4 the word ‘ani’, in that the LORD, the First and the Last, alone, by Himself, is He.
There are other passages in the Bible I would like to share with you, to ponder, as they are not often, if ever, preached from the pulpits.
Isaiah 44:24 “Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, and the one who formed you from the womb, "I, the LORD, am the maker of all things, Stretching out the heavens by Myself And spreading out the earth all alone.”
- John 1:3 (KJV) “All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made.”
- Job 33:4 "The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life."
Job 9:8 “He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea.”
- John 6:19-20 “Then, when they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and drawing near to the boat; and they were frightened. But He said to them, "It is I; do not be afraid."
Now, does the Greek say, “It is I”? Blessedly, it does not. What it DOES say is “But He said to them, “I AM [Ego Eimi]”. Do not be afraid.” See for yourself: http://biblos.com/john/6-20.htm
What’s significant about this is the FACT that the LORD God told Moses His NAME in
- Exodus 3:14: “God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.'"
Then, we see again Jesus’ offensive words to the Jewish leaders, provoking them to pick up stones to kill Him for blasphemy (claiming to be God Himself) in
- John 8:58 “Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM [Ego Eimi]."
LORD in the Old and New Testaments
You know, we lose so much by the change of language between the Old and New Testaments, when it comes to the use of the name or title “LORD” or “Lord”. The Old Testament uses LORD in all capital letters, in the place of the Tetragrammaton, the written, holy name of God, YHWH. The New Testament never writes the word ‘Lord’ in all capital letters, and when you look at the Greek and compare it to the Hebrew, you won’t see YeHoWaH or YaHWeH; you will see ‘Kyrios’ or ‘Kurios’. Likewise, for the word ‘God’. In Hebrew you will see ‘Yah’ or ‘El’ or ‘YHWH Elohim’; in the Greek you will see ‘Theos’. If you were to replace Kyrios with YeHoWaH and Kyrios Theos with YaHWeH Elohim, the New Testament would become so much clearer!
Let’s do this in the following passages:
- 1 Cor 12:3 “Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus is accursed"; and no one can say, "Jesus is YHWH," except by the Holy Spirit.”
- 2 Cor 3:17 “Now YHWH is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of YHWH is, there is liberty.”
Who Do You Say That I AM?
"Be Still and Know that I AM God"
Finally, I will conclude with a very sure statement, made by our LORD (YHWH), Jesus Christ as found in John 8:24 (I will write it as the Greek states it):
- "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I AM, you will die in your sins."
If you had no other scriptures than what you’ve read here, what would you conclude? Since we have an entire Bible that is used by all the various doctrines to ‘prove what they believe’ regarding the Deity of Christ, we know all of the interpretations cannot be right. You’ll do one of three things: Accept what is written, literally; Ignore what is written, literally; or Force these passages to say what they don’t say to fit in with your doctrine. Truly, it is the LORD who reveals Himself to those who love Him.
- John 16:24 “Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.”