JESUS CHRIST AND QIN SHI HUANG
The current exhibit at the Royal Ontario Museum of the Terracotta Army of Emperor Qin Shi Huang (June 26, 2010 - January 2, 2011) triggered my interest in writing this article. Jesus Christ and Emperor Qin Shi Huang both lived more than 2000 years ago, and are world figures. Jesus lived about 2000 years ago, and Emperor Qin about 220 years before Christ. Jesus Christ is still the current head of all Christians throughout the world, but Emperor Qin was the first Chinese emperor to rule over China over 2000 years ago. Both are historical figures. Jesus Christ is the current head of all Christians in the world, but Emperor Qin Shi Huang represents about one fifth of all the population of the world.
BIRTH OF JESUS CHRIST
SON OF GOD
The birth of Jesus Christ was foretold by the angel of the Lord to Mary in Matthew 1:23, saying, "Behold a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us."
Is 9:6; Mt. 1:21
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Jesus was born 4 or 5 B.C. and fled to Egypt with his parents when King Herod made a decree to kill all babies under the age of two years. His father Joseph (on earth) was a carpenter.
When Jesus was 12 years old, he went up to Jerusalem together with his parents for the feast. When they had fulfilled the days, they returned, but Jesus stayed behind and after three days, the parents found him sitting in the temple in the midst of the doctors, listening and questioning them. All were astonished at his understanding and answers. He was mature for his age and they marvelled at his capability beyond his years.
BIRTH OF EMPEROR QIN SHI HUANG
BIRTH OF EMPEROR QIN SHI HUANG
SON OF A KING
Qin Shi Huang (259 BC – 210 BC), personal name Ying Zheng, was born the son of a king of the Chinese State of Qin from 246 BC to 221 BC during the Warring States Period. He became the first emperor of a unified China in 221 BC and ruled until his death in 210 BC at the age of 49.
At the age of 13, Qin Shi Huang (Emperor Chin) came to the throne. There was not much written about him at this age and his character was not known at this time of his life. There was a parallel between Jesus and Emperor Qin for Jesus was discovered to be very knowledge at the age of 12 while the emperor started to rule China at the age of 13 years.
JESUS: INFLUENCE ON THE WORLD
Jesus Christ brought salvation to the whole world and His dominion is still growing day by day after 2010 years of history. The Lord Jesus has united all the countries of the world, from east to west and from north to south. His love for the people and the miracles He performed had and have no equal. He touched the rich as well as the poor and people of high class as well as the low. After His death, Jesus sent His Holy Spirit to dwell in the hearts of men to lead and guide them to the truth.
Salvation is life everlasting without end and gives hope to the needy and rich alike. Eternity is the most precious gift any person in the whole universe can have, and Jesus is the life giver.
Not much was written about Jesus' early years except the incident at the temple when he was 12 years old. No recording was made of Him until He started to preach when he was around thirty years old. Jesus Christ preached only about three and a half years on earth. He redeemed us from sin and sacrificed His life for us so our sins are forgiven and we can again have direct contact with the Lord God.
THE MIRACLES OF JESUS
Miracles of Jesus: The List
- Turning water into wine (John 2:1-11)
- Healing of a nobleman's son (John 4:46-54)
- Delivering a man in the synagogue from demonic spirits (Mark 1:21-28; Luke 4:31-37)
- Healing Peter's mother-in-law (Mark 1:29-31; Luke 4:38-39; Matthew 8:14-15)
- The first of two nets of fish and the calling of His first disciples (Luke 5:1-11)
- Cleansing a leper (Mark 1:40-45; Matthew 8:1-4)
- Healing a paralytic (Mark 2:1-12; Matthew 9:2-8; Luke 5:17-26)
- Healing of the man at Bethesda (John 5:1-15)
- Healing a man with a withered hand (Luke 6:6-11; Matthew 12:9-13; Mark 3:1-5)
- Healing the Centurion's servant (Luke 7: 1-10; Matthew 8:5-13)
- Raising the widow's son (Luke 7:11-16)
- Casting out a dumb and blind spirit (Luke 11:14-26; Matthew 12:22-32; Mark 3:22-30)
- Calming a storm (Mark 4:35-41; Matthew 8:18-27; Luke 8:22-25)
- Healing a man possessed by demons at Gadara (Mark 5:1-20; Matthew 8:28; Luke 8:26)
- Healing a woman with an issue of blood (Mark 5:25-34; Matthew 9:18-26; Luke 8:40-56)
- Raising Jairus' daughter (Mark 5:21-43)
- Healing of two blind men (Matthew 9:27-31
- Casting out a spirit (Matthew 9:32-34)
- Feeding 5,000 with five loaves and two fish (John 6:1-14; Matthew 14:13-21; Mark 6:32-44; Luke 9:10-17)
- Walking on water (Matthew 14:22-33; John 6:15-21; Mark 6:45-52)
- Delivering the Syrophoenician's daughter (Matthew 15:21-28)
- Healing a deaf and dumb man (Mark 7:31-37)
- Feeding another 4,000-plus (Mark 8:1-10; Matthew 15:32)
- Healing the blind man of Bethsaida (Mark 8:22-26)
- Casting demons out of a lunatic boy (Mark 9:14-29; Matthew 17:14-21; Luke 9:37-42)
- Pulling a coin from the mouth of a fish (Matthew 17:24-27)
- Healing a man born blind (John 9:1-41)
- Healing a woman with an 18-year infirmity (Luke 13:10-17)
- Healing a man with dropsy (or edema) (Luke 14:1-6)
- Raising Lazarus (John 11:1-46)
- Cleansing of ten lepers (Luke 17:11-19)
- Healing blind Bartimeaus (Mark 10:46-52)
- Cursing the fig tree (Mark 11:12-26)
- Healing of Malchus' ear (Luke 22:49-51)
- A second net of fish (John 21:1-12)
THE GREAT WALL OF CHINA
QIN SHI HUANG: INFLUENCE ON CHINA
A GREAT REFORMER
Though Qin Shi Huang expected his empire to last forever, Qin Dynasty survived 15 years with two reigns only. Qin Shi Huang had the greatest and longest-lasting influence among all rulers in Chinese history.
1. The Chinese script was unified and standardized. This newly unified script was then made official throughout all the conquered regions, thus doing away with all the regional scripts to form one language, and one communication system for all of China
2. He ordered the unification of Chinese currency, weights and measures. This benefited the economic development and cultural exchanges which made a strong and long-lasting influence on China.
3. He was the pioneer in incorporating the legal system in Chinese history.
4. The emperor also developed an extensive network of roads and canals connecting the provinces to improve trade between them. He instructed the construction of road system which eventually played an extremely important role in ancient transportation and economic exchanges.
5. He authorized the building and restoration of the Great Wall of China. The Emperor Qin fought nomadic tribes to the north and northwest. The Xiongnu tribes were not defeated and subdued. To prevent the Xiongnu from encroaching on the northern frontier any longer, the emperor ordered the construction of an immense defensive wall. It connected numerous state walls which had been built during the previous four centuries, a network of small walls linking river defenses to impassable cliffs.
1. Extremely severe penal codes. If one person was guilty, he would be killed along with his family, his extended families as well as his fellow classmates, friends, teachers, villages and acquaintances.
2. Burnt almost all classical books, excluding those of agriculture, divination and medicine.
3. The people were greatly burdened with endless demands in wars, building of the Great Wall, his Mausoleum, Terra Cotta Army, palaces and roads. There seemed to be no end of spending money.
4. Confiscated all weapons from the general public so the people are not able to revolt.
5. Ordered to bury 460 scholars alive.
6. Forced rich people to migrate to the newly built capital Xianyang, next to Xian, the capital.
Elixir of Life
Elixir of life
Later in his life, Qin Shi Huang feared death and desperately sought the fabled elixir of life. which would supposedly allow him to live forever. He was obsessed with acquiring immortality and fell prey to many who offered him supposed elixirs.45 He visited Zhifu Island three times in order to achieve immortality. In one case he sent Xu Fu, a Zhifu islander, with ships carrying hundreds of young men and women in search of the mystical Penglai mountain. They were sent to find Anqi Sheng, a 1,000-year-old magician whom Qin Shi Huang had supposedly met in his travels and who had invited him to seek him there. These people never returned, because they knew that if they returned without the promised elixir, they would surely be executed. Legends claim that they reached Japan and colonized it.
Influence of Jesus and Emperor Qin
The influence of Jesus Christ has not diminished after 2000 years but has grown in leaps and bounds throughout the world of today. It has touched the lives of millions of people and the popularity of Christianity is increasing from day to day whereas that of Emperor Qin Shi Huang's influence is limited only to a fifth of the world population. His influence is felt only by the Chinese and has no or little impact on the world at large.
Human beings long to live forever and Jesus Christ has the power to deliver them from death when they have faith in Christ. Many have sacrificed their lives for Christ and would be rewarded by God. Emperor Qin Shi Huang could not live for ever and in fact lost his life by taking mercury poisoning pills supplied by his physicians in error, and he died at the age of 49. On the other hand, Jesus Christ died on the cross when he was about 33 years sacrificing His sinless self to redeem the sins of the world. Emperor Qin left the legacy of the Wall of China and the Terracotta Army, which is exhibited from time to time around the world.
Jesus was born to be a powerful beacon of light to lead millions of condemned souls to salvation since 2000 years ago. No man can surpass His record of salvation and no man ever will. Every day, thousands around the world are turning to Jesus, the hope of the chaotic world from self destruction and murder into everlasting eternity of life..
God blesses Jesus Christ for the sacrifice of His sinless body to redeem the world from sin and death, and brought victory over death. Death has no more power over us. All glory to God.
© 2010 einron