- Religion and Philosophy
THE HOLY SPIRIT: OLD TESTAMENT
The Holy Spirit is God's manifestation of supreme power over the whole world. He is also the Spirit of Jesus Christ! God uses the supernatural power in the Old Testament to accomplish three main functions, namely (1) To Create, (2) To empower Man to do various works of deeds, and (3) To Instruct, Warn and Prophesy through the Prophets.
FUNCTION (1) CREATION
The main function of the Holy Spirit is to create heaven and earth first from a void of darkness to light. The waters were gathered together unto one place and the dry land appeared. God called the dry land Earth, and the waters He called Seas. Then God created different things in six days and rested on the seventh day.
CREATION IN SIX DAYS
First day: (Genesis 1:3)
- Light was first created. The light was divided from the darkness, and "day" and "night" were named.
Second day: (Genesis 1:6-7)
- God created a firmament to divide the waters above from the waters below. The firmament was named "heaven".
Third day: (Genesis 1:9-10)
- God commanded the waters below to be gathered together in one place, and dry land to appear. "Earth" and "Sea" were named. God commanded the earth to bring forth grass, plants, and fruit-bearing trees.
Fourth day: (Genesis 1:14-15)
- God created lights in the firmament to separate light from darkness and to mark days, seasons and years. Two great lights were made, the Sun and Moon, and the stars.
Fifth day: (Genesis 1:20-21)
- God commanded the sea to multiply with living creatures, and birds to fly across the heavens and commanded them to be fruitful and multiply.
Sixth day: (Genesis 1:24-28)
- God commanded the land to bring forth living creatures. He made wild beasts, livestock and reptiles. God saw that it was good.
- He then created human beings in His own image and likeness. They were told to "be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it.
God, having completed the heavens and the earth, rested from His work, and blessed and sanctified the seventh day.
- In the book of Genesis 1:2, the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the earth.
- Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.
- These are the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.
- Thou sendest forth thy spirit, and they are created:and thou renewest the face of the earth.
- By his spirit he hath garnished the heavens.
- The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life
FUNCTION (2) GIVING MAN THE POWER
Different men were given different gifts of the Holy Spirit to empower them to work for the Lord, namely, Joseph, Joshua, the seventy elders, Bezaleel, Samson and Daniel.
Joseph was given the ability to rule
- And Pharaoh said unto his servants, Can we find such one as this is, a
man in whom the Spirit of God is? (38)
- Thou shalt be over my house, and according unto thy word shall all my people be ruled: (40)
- Joshua was granted the ability of leadership (Num.27:18-20; Deu.34:9).
- And before all the congregation, and give him a charge in their sight.
- God enabled the seventy elders to rule over Israel.
Exodus 31:2-6; 35:30-31
- Crafts and cunning workmanship was given to Bezaleel and others.
Judges 14:6,19; 15:14; 16:28-30
- Samson was given tremendous strength.
Daniel 1:17-20; 4:8,9,18; 5:14
- Daniel had the ability to interpret dreams.
FUNCTION (3) USE OF THE PROPHET TO INSTRUCT, WARN AND PROPHESY
David was made to speak on behalf of the Lord.
1 Samuel 16:13
- The Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward.
2 Samuel 23:2
- The Spirit of the Lord spake by me, and his word was in my tongue.
1 Chronicles 28:11,12
- And the pattern of all that he had by the spirit,...
2 Chronicles 15:1-7
- Azariah exhorted king Asa who when he heard the prophecy of Oded the prophet took courage and put away the abominable idols out of the land of Judah.
2 Chronicles 20:14-17
- God made Jahaziel foretell the victory of Judah to king Jehoshaphat of Judah.
- Ye shall not send to fight in the battle; set yourselves, stand ye still, and see the salvation of the Lord with you, O Judah and Jerusalem: fear not, nor be dismayed; tomorrow go out against them: for the Lord will be with you.
1 King 22:13-25
- Micaiah, the prophet predicted that king Ahab would die in the battlefield.
- Ezekiel was brought by the Spirit of God to speak all things to the Israelites who were in captivity in Chaldea.
- Micah, full of power by the Spirit of God declared to Israel of the transgression and sin of the people.
THE HOLY SPIRIT ACCOMPLISHED ALL THINGS
By the power of the Holy Spirit, God was able to accomplish all the things that He wanted to be done on earth in six days. Then God blessed the seventh day, sanctified and rested. Everything that God wanted was accomplished, darkness was made into light, the separation of land and sea, heaven and earth, the creation of land and sea creatures, all living plants and finally the creation of man. Thank the Lord God for His Holy Spirit who made creation of the earth possible teeming with life.
► 3:47► 3:47www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIzHb9YNEOYNov 18, 2009 - Uploaded by LifeChurchtvThis video is unavailable. You need Adobe Flash Player to watch this video. ... Father thank you for the ...
GOD'S MANIFESTATIONS: THE HOLY SPIRIT AND JESUS CHRIST http://hubpages.com/hub/godsmanifestationsholyspiritjesuschrist
THE HOLY SPIRIT EMPOWERS 4 WOMEN in EXORCISM http://hubpages.com/hub/holyspiritempowers4womenexorcism
GOD'S MANIFESTATION: HOLY SPIRIT (SYMBOLISM)(1) WATER http://hubpages.com/hub/holyspiritsymbolismwater
GOD'S MANIFESTATION: HOLY SPIRIT (SYMBOLISM)(2) FIRE http://hubpages.com/hub/godsmanifestationholyspiritsymbolismfire
GOD'S HOLY SPIRIT is JESUS' HOLY SPIRIT http://hubpages.com/hub/godholyspiritisjesusholyspirit
7 SPECIAL GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT http://einron.hubpages.com/hub/7specialgiftsoftheholyspirit
THE HOLY SPIRIT: NEW TESTAMENT http://hubpages.com/hub/theholyspiritnewtestament
The Holy Spirit: Old Testament
Do you agree what the Holy Spirit did in the Old Testament is correct?
- The Holy Spirit
I must go but I will send you the Holy Spirit. I want to start with this Kingdom truth, that Jesus Christ was sent (apostolic)by the Father, to show us the character of the Heavenly Father, He was the...
- God's Gift to Me: The Holy Spirit at Work; Christian...
As He does with everyone, God has blessed me with certain gifts. Perhaps because He knew that my life would not be easy or perhaps because as a small child, even before I had a chance to really know God, I...
- The Holy Spirit Is Like The Wind
I asked the Holy Spirit to move on me as I write these words. i have more clarity today as to my direction for the Lord's work. I felt a change coming on me around 27 months ago. I knew God was leading me to a...
- Fruits of the Holy Spirit : Nine Virtues of CHRIST
FRUITS OF THR HOLY SPIRIT : NINE GREAT VIRTUES OF CHRIST But the fruit of the Holy Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there...
© 2010 einron