- Sports and Recreation»
- Hiking & Camping
40 Things That You Would Need To Survive A Food Crisis
The Rising Food Prices Are Concerning
I'm sure you've probably seen it in the news recently, "food prices are rising" and every time I go to the store it only seems that much more obvious. Its concerning me because I wonder what measures are being taken to insure that we would be prepared for a national food shortage if it ever were to happen. I am not a pessimist and believe me, I try to see the good in every situation - I am also not someone that likes to talk about conspiracy theory. In fact, I find a lot of that talk annoying. But after hearing so much concern about where food is coming from and how its getting here, I decided to do some research on the potential facts that support these concerns. I have even seen very interesting videos on youtube that mentioned 40 things that you would need in order to survive a food crisis. I found the link in the description to be especially interesting because the video mentioned some very alarming facts.
When you think about it, there are some fairly strong facts that support these food crisis concerns. In fact, after doing some research I realized that the World Bank stated that 44 million people around the world have been forced into extreme poverty since last June due to rising food prices. Here are some other facts that I discovered, perhaps you have heard many of these facts yourself, but some of them may be new to you.
- Due to U.S. ethanol interests, a third of all of the corn grown in the United States is now being used as fuel. As you can see, this demand has inflated the price of corn by quite a bit. Whereas, corn has not been that expensive in the past.
- Due to a shortage in water, some of the countries in the middle east find themselves forced to almost entirely rely on the other nations for food. One example mentioned was the projection that stated that there will be no more wheat production in Saudi Arabia by the year 2012.
- The price of oil plays a huge role when it comes to getting food to families, in fact its a huge factor when it comes to rising food prices. But the fact is, we are so dependent on oil that we literally depend on oil to get food to the stores and to our doorstep.Diseases that kill crops are killing large segments of the world's food supply.
- The tsunami and recent earthquake that caused the nuclear crisis in Japan have left many of the agricultural areas in Japan polluted and therefore unusable.
- According to the United Nations, the global price of food reached a new all-time high in February.
- According to the World Bank, the global price of food has increased 36% over the past 12 months.
- The average price of soybeans is up about 50% since last june.
These could be just some of the warning signs, and I think its a good idea to discuss these things because perhaps this could be prevented through the way we live and not depending on oil so much when it comes to energy. I encourage you to watch the video on youtube that I posted a link to - when you get to that video, you will find a link in the description that will take you to the very interesting website that I was telling you about. The website has a video with lots of facts and realistic projections, very important stuff when it comes to being aware of potential challenges that we could face in the future. Not to mention, especially useful because it could help you prepare for harder times, if they ever should happen.
- Tips For Surviving A Food Crisis - YouTube
A very interesting Video about things that you need to survive a food crisis in order to provide for you and your family. I am a...