- Sports and Recreation»
- Team Sports»
- American Football
Football is Sexy
After spending more than a decade as a football widow, I finally got into the game and started watching them regardless of who was playing -- even on days when I was the only one home. Something that caught my attention early on was how many terms used to describe various aspects of the sport could be mistaken for innuendo! Here are some of my favorite questionable terms from American football:
- If he shoots from an angle, he'll have to really work to squeeze through the tighter space. I promise, the commentator was describing what the field goal kicker would have to do for a successful kick.
- He penetrated the hole and got his opponent's feet in the air. What they mean is, someone on the defensive line broke through a weak spot in the offensive players, and then tackled the quarterback.
- Backside block. If you hear this term, it probably means that the wide receiver has to get severe inside leverage to keep the defensive back from catching the ball.
- Pump fake. This one makes me giggle like a schoolgirl each time I hear it. What it means is that the quarterback moved his arm as if he was throwing the ball in one direction, while actually throwing it in another direction entirely, in attempt to mislead the whole defensive line.
- It's a game of inches. Whether in football or in sex, this term means there's a minuscule margin for error in the next play.
- Penetration in the red zone. I know, I know, it sounds really dirty. Doesn't it? No worries! All this means is that an offensive player likely caught the football within twenty yards of the end zone.
- Tight end. I love joking with my football buddies that despite the fact that Peyton Manning is a quarterback, this is my favorite (football) position. In all seriousness, whoever plays the tight end acts a kind of hybrid for his team, playing as part offensive lineman and part wide receiver.
These are only a few among the entire glossary of American football terms. If you didn't watch football before reading this article, now you know what some of the terms mean if you hear others talking about the popular sport! And if you are a fan, feel free to throw in your own amusing football terms in the comments section below.
Thanks for reading, and good luck to your favorite American football teams!