Homemade Insect Repellent Spray Recipe Using Essential Oils
Bug Spray for the Whole Family
Nobody likes wreaking of chemicals. They are unsafe for you and your children, not to mention costly. And how many times have you bought bug spray just to use and lose it in one camping trip?
Here, I would like to tell you how to make good smelling bug spray at home using natural ingredients. You can adjust the batch to suit your needs and the mixture lasts up to six months.
Ticks, chiggers, and deer flies:
- Tea tree oil
Mosquitoes and black flies:
We all know that citronella keeps those pesky bugs away, but did you know it is an essential oil? Generally speaking, oils in the citrus and mint family effectively repel bugs, but you can add other oils within the same family to customize the scent to your liking.
Not to freak ya out but uh.....
This is an uplifting scent to keep you alert
- 8 oz. spray bottle Carrier oil, jojoba, olive, almond or coconut oil
- 12 drops lemon or lemongrass
- 6 drops eucalyptus
- 2 drops citronella
This combo helps with headaches and nausea as well
- 8 oz. spray bottle and same carrier oils
- 15 drops tea tree
- 10 drops peppermint
Here's what you do:
- Be sure to use a carrier oil, as essential oils can irritate skin and eyes. Keep away from eyes, mouth, and nose. (Ok - just a whiff!) Do not use on pets - tea tree oil can be severely poisonous to furbabies
- Carefully pour the carrier oil and drops of essential oils into spray bottle. It helps to use a small kitchen funnel for the carrier oil. Be sure to store at room temp away from kids and critters.
Get a handful of your favorites and keep then around the house for other uses.
Give it a try!
Experiment with your favorite smells and see what you like. I tend to use certain scents for certain reasons. I suffer from migraines and peppermint oil is great to have in large amounts around my house because it helps so many ailments.
The cooling effects of peppermint help to ease the sting of bug bites if you happen to get one - or a dozen.
Best Essential Oils
Like This Hub?
As always, please feel free to comment with any ideas you have. More importantly, I encourage you to share my hub and the love. We are all in this together!
I love feedback and your vote is important to me. Please take a second to click that little thumb icon just below here and let me know how I am doing!