Muhammad Ali Greatest in Heavyweight Boxing History
Quick Facts About Muhammad Ali
The Greatest The People's Champion & The Louisville Lip
6 ft 3 in (191 cm)
78 in (198 cm)
Birt Place and Year
January 17, 1942 (age 72 now) Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.A
Wins by Knock Outs
I wrote the hub when Ali was alive
Anyways he is still alive in our hearts
Why is Muhammad Ali so special?
Why? Lets find answers. The reasons for which i have dedicated to Hub about Muhammad Ali arethat:
- Ali is special and undoubtedly carried a strong personal magnetism and an exuberant style. I just love him for his unique reactions and the way he tackled his life and his boxing bouts.
- Stylish, eloquent, Athletic, Muscular, Graceful and above all Respected
- He is one of the most celebrated and applauded sportsman of the past 100 years, crowned "Sportsman of the Century" by Sports Illustrated and "Sports Personality of the Century" by the BBC. 37 Knock out wins is a proof to that.
- Muhammad Ali became a part of boxing fraternity no because that he won so many titles but also for the way he treated his opponent in the boxing ring. After taking guard, Ali's greatest skill was to tire out his opponent and then apply a defensive stance against opponent's punches. He used to calculate the direction of incoming hands and always rtied that maximum o the opponents punches go in the air. Thus he would minimize the energy level of his opponent in very few seconds right there in the arena. His lightening fast moves were so attractive and befitting to watch.
- The way he used to encircle and his to and fro quicker steps, Not a single man in history could even match to that electric speed. It was unique about Muhammad Ali that made him supreme force as he was blessed with untiring stamina and giganticly powerful punches.
Life Changer for Ali the BOY
CHAMPION Right from START and BEING ALI
Ali was born as Cassius Clay, at the age of only 22 he won the world heavyweight championship in 1964 with a thrilling upset of that time from Sonny Liston. His video of beating Liston has been at long, watched and followed on Youtube. He has the unique honour He after that bout described his opponent Liston as :
“I will whoop Liston like his daddy did. He is too slow to be a champion.”
Liston after the match stated that he left the arena in the final because of an injured shoulder. A champion Clay while turning his words towards press and media reporters shouted:
"Eat your words!"
His earlier interview had an exciting excerpt as below:
"I shook up the world,I talk to God every day. I must be the greatest!"
Shortly after that boxing bout, Clay turned Muslim and changed his name to Muhammad Ali. He was destined for greatness indeed as he had stated.
Later in his long career Ali defeated heavyweight kings like:
Sonny Liston twice, Floyd Patterson twice, Ernie Terrell, Jimmy Ellis, Ken Norton twice, Joe Frazier twice, George Foreman, and Leon Spinks once each..
Beaten light Heavyweight champions like:
Bob Foster and the legendary Archie Moore.
He defeated Heavyweight Champions in Europe, Karl Mildenberger, Jean-Pierre Coopman and Alfredo Evangelista.
He went to Europe and surpassed British Heavyweight Champions Henry Cooper, Joe Bugner, Richard Dunn and Brian London. It was an era that was labelled the Golden Age of Championship for Heavyweight boxing of all time. All of Ali's losses were to heavyweight champions: lost to Joe Frazier on his come back after four years forced lay-off from boxing, lost to Ken Norton, lost to Leon Spinks, lost to Larry Holmes and lost to the Canadian Trevor Berbick.
Muhammad Ali has also beaten un-conquered and undefeated fighters Sonny Banks, Billy Daniels, Rudi Lubbers and the mighty George Foreman in the famous Rumble in the Jungle fight with his Rope-a-Dope ring magic, worth watching for all fans of boxing. Many of his bouts on internet are still, one of the most followed for a boxer of or a sportsman. His dialogue of "Impossible is Nothing" has become a trademark for Muhammad Ali and that poster was one of the most emblematic of his success worldwide.
Have you watched any of MUHAMMAD ALI's championship bouts ?
THE PEOPLES CHAMPION
Best trait of Muhammad Ali was that he knew what his capabilities were and how to conquer his opponent. His arrogance and sizzling nature was like a hurricane of punches. Born with supreme confidence, added with supreme power and stamina, a sportsmen like him are remembered for eternity. His sheer determination in the way he was in and out of the boxing ring clinched him the nicks as ‘The Louisville Lip’ and ‘The People’s Champion’.
Perhaps videos of Muhammad Ali on Youtube are still loved and watched. He was an icon in his time and still loved perhaps recpected/
ARREST and STRIPPED OFF CHAMPION TITLES
Ali refused to join US Army in 1967 when the Vietnam War was ta its peak, Reasoning that his religious beliefs and his mentor did not permit him to fight.
The government of United States lashed out at Muhammad Ali and increased pressure on Ali, however, Ali was persistent in his agenda of religion. Evasion charges were forwarded on Ali and his championship titles were stripped off him in a huge set back.
He did not fight any bout from March 1967 to October 1970 as Ali progressed in from ages 25 to almost 29 thus Ali had to wait for almost 4 years thus he lost time when he was at the peak of his career. If he had been given these years also, We could imagine more laurels from this great man.
COME BACK TO BOXING - AWAKENING OF FEROCIOUSNESS
The Supreme Court of U.S.A overturned previous court order of Ali's prohibition by a unanimous decision, allowing Muhammad Ali to professional boxing again but without any previous titles to his name in effect. But of course, Ali was more hungrier and ferocious this time after being allowed in international arena after almost 4 years.
Part II of this hub will cover Ali's journey afetr comeback, his spiritual voyages, family life, public image and life after boxing.
Just Check out and Enjoy this great video of the Greatest Boxer
© 2014 SAQIB