- Sports and Recreation»
- Team Sports
"Official Football Terminology For Green- Horns"
"Official Football Terminology For Green-horns"
"Official Football Terminology for Green-Horns"
I thought that I would share and enlighten some of the women and a few men that aren't familiar with pro- football jargon or football terminology. I'm not a pro at this but these are the words and definition I came up with on my own, I didn't have an official book of football terminology, but I have been involved with football since 1970; so I do know a little about the terminology. I must warn you there may be some words and definition's that I might not remember but I gave it my best try, the I had to come up my definition of what the definitions mean; and I think I did a pretty good job for a women.
1.Coin toss or flip: Let's us know which team will receive the football at the start of the game.
2.The Kick off: When the other team kicks the ball to the receiving team.
3. Out of Bounds: player catches ball, but run outside the playing field.
4.Interception: when the opposite team catches the football that was intended for the other team.
5.Fumble: when either team player drop the ball.
6.Lines of scrimmage: is where the ball started from.
7.Downs: that how many down the teams has before they have to give the ball up or make a 1st down.
8.Touch down: When either team gets the ball beyond the goal line in the end- zone.
9.Field goal: When the kicker of either team kick the football cross the goal post and score three points.
10. Personal foul: Some type of body contact against another player of the opposite team.
11. Ineligible receiver: means a receiver down field wasn't eligible to receive the ball that was thrown.
12. Encroachment: The defense is offside.
13. clipping: when a player hits below the knees.
14.Tackle: Is a action taken toward against opposite player, to stop a action.
15. Sacked: When the quarter back is brought down, before he can release the ball.
16. Off sides: When a player gets off the line before the ball is snapped.
17. Punt: Is when either team kicks the football to the receiving team.
18. Receiver: Is the player that the kicker kicks too, or the player the the quarter back throws too.
!9. Quarter Back: Is the player that always throws the football to the receiver.
20.Tackler: Is a player that attacks and tackle, the Quarter back or receivers from the opposing team.
21. Fair catch: Is when the ball is kicked to the receiver and he kneels down.
22. Penalty: when either player commits an injunction against another player causing a penalty.
23. Football: Is the oval shape ball, that the players play with and sometimes call a pigskin.
24. Yards Or yardages: Is the yards accumulated with each down, made by the team.
25. Football helmet: Is the hard head covering the players wears to keep from getting head injuries.
26.Time -Out: Is called by either team by holding their hands up in T-formation.
27.End -zone: Is behind the goal line for the touch down or touch back.
28. Score: Is the score made by a touch down, field goal or conversion.
29. Line backer: Is a fancy word for tackler.
30. Passing: When the quarter back throws the ball to the receiver.
31.Blitzing: when defensive team's players are quickly charging the opposite teams, quarter back or receiver.
32.Ejected: It's when a player is thrown out of the game.
33. Referee: are officials in black and white, that calls the penalties of the game.
34. Yellow -gold flag: Is the penalty flag that the referee throws when there's a penalty.
35. Red flag: Is the challenge flag thrown by either coaches of the football teams.
36. Onside kick: Is a desperate measure the team takes to try and get the football back from the other team.
37.A lost challenge: It's when the coach has thrown the red flag, and the officials stand on their first decision.. that means the team challenged the decision lost a time- out and doesn't have but two left of the three.
38.Recover: means the opposite team, the team gets the ball back that they dropped.39.
39. Possession: When the either team has the football.
40. Lost time-out: means the team that challenged the officials lose a time out, if the official ruling still stands.
41.Un-sportman Like Conduct :When a player causes unnecessary roughness to another player.
42. False start: When a player moves to soon, or before the ball is snapped.
43. The red zone: Inside the opposing teams twenty yard line.
45. Horse collar: When a player catches another player in the neck of his jersey from behind, this is cause for a penalty.
46. Face mask: When a player grabs the face mask of another player, this is also a penalty.
47. Roughing the kicker: when another player runs into the kicker of the football.
I hope you all enjoyed my terminology of the football jargon, but as I said I might have neglected some of the words or definition but I did my best, for those of you that want more information do a search and get the rest of your answers.
Benny Faye Douglass