Sherwood Wisdom 3 Review
Sherwood Wisdom 3
The Sherwood Wisdom 3 is a Personal Dive Computer used for scuba diving.
The Wisdom 3 continues the great tradition of the Sherwood scuba brand with many new features that the previous Wisdoms didn't have. The Wisdom 3 that I have is white in color but it also comes in black. I also have the one with the quick disconnect hose but for a little cheaper you can get it without, if your really pressed for cash.
After two seasons of diving with it and over 80 dives on it I have found all the things I like about it and all those that I don't like about it. I will give you all the features and then I will get into all the Pro's and Con's about this dive computer.
Wisdom 3 Features
- User replaceable battery: Extended life battery and low battery indicator.
- Air, Nitrox or Gauge operating modes.
- Metric or Imperial units.
- Intuitive 2-button operation.
- DECO warnings and calculations.
- Dive log: Stores profiles for later recall and viewing.
- Deco calculation: Calculates decompression stops to 60 feet.
- Audible and visual alarms.
- Expanded memory for dive profiles - access to up to 110 dives.
- Air integrated feature – Display air supply remaining (PSI).
- Audible and visual alarms – diver selectable.
- PC downloadable.
- Dive simulator: Walk yourself through any dive beforehand, and see your limits without getting wet.
- Dive Time Remaining feature – calculates and displays dive time remaining based on current consumption rate or available no deco time remaining.
- Repetitive dive planning: Use information from previous dives to see limitations of your next dive.
- Deep stop reminder – conforms to latest theories recommending deep stops for dives that exceed 80 feet.
What do you think of the Sherwood Wisdom 3?
Have you used the Sherwood Wisdom 3?
Wisdom 3 Pros
For me I have a few Pros about the computer though it is my first and only computer so I really can't compare it to anything else.
- The quick disconnect feature it great. It keeps it away from all your other gear till you need it. I can take it to my computer to download my dives without having to bring the whole regs setup.
- The easy to read face has pretty sizable numbers so no trying to figure out what it says. Those with questionable eye sight shouldn't have an issue.
- Has visual and audible alarms that you can choose if you want either or both. I'm not always looking at the computer but I can usually hear it.
- User changeable battery, no need to take it in and have it changed you can change the battery yourself.
Sherwood Wisdom 3 Cons
There are many things that I like about the Wisdom 3, but there are a few things that I don't like about it.
- The price is a bit steep at about $800, but you are getting the computer and the compass.
- The cable to be able to download your dive log is an extra charge at about $90. You would think at a price of $800 it might come with this cable.
- So many features it's a bit over whelming at first to learn how to use it.
- The side button is a little difficult to press you really have to press it hard to get it to work.
Happy with the Wisdom 3
Though I have about the same amount of Pros and Cons I have to say, over all I am happy with my purchase. After 82 dives most of which are over 40 minutes long the original battery is still working and I was surprised about that.
Once you know all the features and how to use them it is easy to use, it's that initial learning period that is a bit confusing. Don't let that scare you off though, as a first computer and a new diver I was able to learn it all in a very short time.
The quick disconnect for me is well worth the little extra that you have to pay for it. I think it was like an extra $50 but the convenience of being able to disconnect it was well worth it.
The compass although nice that it is right there I often find it a pain to use. It never seems to point me in the right direction. It has pretty much become a back up to my wrist compass now.