The Abandoned Olympic Sites
I'm watching the 2012 London Olympics (and enjoying the opening ceremonies very much) but, I can't help think about the past Olympic sites. So much money, construction and real estate poured into a one time event... and then? Some of them are repurposed, given new life as something else. But, not all of them.
As the Olympics grow with more events added and more countries joining, each Olympic Games needs to host more athletes, build more sporting facilities, and provide more security. Then there is the temporary deluge on city services like public transit and city maintenance workers. The expense is huge. Of course the Olympics bring in money but how do the books balance out when all is said and done and the medals have long been handed out?
How long will the countries (cities) of the world be able to continue supporting the Olympic Games as they are? It seems something will have to give. Nothing can just keep growing and expanding forever.
- Counter Olympics Network
Links people and organisations critical of some or many aspects of the 2012 Games. We also want to hold the organisers of the Olympic Games to account, to ensure the promises made to the local people impacted on by the Games are kept.
What Happens to the Olympics After the Olympics?
- BBC NEWS | In Pictures: Wembley through the years
- London Olympics (past) 1908: White City 1948: Wembley
- Invisible Paris: The 1924 Paris Olympics (Part One)
- Invisible Paris: The 1924 Paris Olympics (Part Two)
- Beijing olympic ruins News, Video and Gossip - Deadspin
- Flickr: Olympic Venues (Past Sites)
- The afterlife of Olympic villages - MSN Real Estate
- 8 Pivotal Olympic Villages And Venues Then And Now: From Moscow to London and Beyond | WebUrbanist
- After The Party: What happens when the Olympics leave town - The Independent
Abandoned Olympic Sites
- Abandoned Berlin: Olympic effort for an abandoned village
- Forbidden places: 1936 Berlin Olympic Village - Telegraph
- Nazi Olympic Village Remains Abandoned 76 Years Later
- Beijing's Olympic Ruins - China Watch - China Forum
- Beijing's Deserted Olympic Sites - The Globe and Mail
- From Ancient to Modern: Greece's Disused Olympic Arenas | Urban Ghosts |
- 12 examples of decayed Olympic sites
- Athens 2004 Abandoned Olympic Glory