Top College Football Games For Week 11 (2011)
10 Key Matchups For Week 11
1) Oregon (8-1) at Stanford (9-0) - Last week it was LSU and Alabama clashing in the SEC that took center stage of the college football world. This week the center stage shifts to the Pac 12 where Oregon will travel to Stanford with national title implications and the Pac 12 North title as well. Oregon has won 8 straight after dropping it's season opener to LSU and if they really want to get back in the national title talk they will have to win this game. This will be Stanford second test of the season as they have breeze by their opponents by an average 47.25 to 13.5 with the exception of a triple overtime win over USC two weeks ago. The last time Oregon visited Stanford in 2009 they lost 51-42. Last season when these two teams face each other Stanford led at halftime 31-24 only to be shutout in the second half as Oregon went on to win 52-31.
2) Auburn (6-3) at Georgia (7-2) - The defending champs Auburn will have to play a spoiler role even though they are mathematically in the SEC West race with a 4-2 record in conference play. Georgia is on a seven game winning streak after dropping there first two games to Boise State and South Carolina. Georgia controls its on destiny now in the SEC East title race after South Carolina went down to Arkansas last week. This is the deep south oldest rivalry and both teams still have much to play for as well.
3) (Thurs.) Virginia Tech (8-1) at Georgia Tech (7-2) - The winner of this game will put itself in good position to win the ACC Coastal division title. Georgia Tech will need this game if they want to stay in the ACC Coastal division race with a 4-2 record in conference play. The Yellowjackets ended a two game losing streak two weeks ago when they upset Clemson in Atlanta 31-17. The Hokies are also coming off a bye week as well after they struggled to beat Duke two weeks ago in Durham 14-10. Last season Virginia Tech's David Wilson return a kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown with 1:48 remaining in the game to break a 21-21 tie as the Virginia Tech held off Georgia Tech when they intercepted a pass with seconds remaining to win 28-21.
4) Michigan State (7-2) at Iowa (6-3) - Iowa's upset over Michigan and Nebraska's lost to Northwestern last week has left the Big Ten Legends division wide open. But now Michigan State one game lead over Nebraska, Iowa and Michigan. But Iowa is at home again and primed for another victory as they game Michigan State there only regular season lost last season. The Hawkeyes blasted the Spartans last season in Iowa City 37-6.
5) Nebraska (7-2) at Penn State (8-1) - Nebraska took a step back last week as they lost to Northwestern in Lincoln 28-25. Now the Cornhuskers will have to win at Happy Valley to stay in the hunt for the Big Ten Legends title. Penn State on the other hand is sitting in first place in the Big Ten Leaders division with a 5-0 conference record. But now the Nittany Lions will have to deal with the allegations of sexual abuse by former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky. These next three games for Penn State will define there season in the Big Ten starting with this one this weekend as they host Nebraska, they will also have to face Ohio State and Wisconsin on the road back to back the next two weeks.
6) Wake Forest (5-4) at Clemson (8-1) - With a win Clemson can clinch the ACC Atlantic division and a spot in the ACC Title game. The Tigers are coming off a bye week where two weeks ago they lost there first game of the season to Georgia Tech in Atlanta 31-17. The Demon Deacons have lost 3 of its last four games after starting the season 4-1.
7) TCU (7-2) at Boise State (8-0) - Boise State switch from the WAC to the Mountain West this season but they haven't missed a beat yet with 3-0 record in conference play. TCU is also undefeated in conference play with a 4-0 record. So this game is most likely for the Mountain West title. This will be Boise State second test of the season, besides a eleven point win over Air Force and a season opening win over Georgia.
8) Alabama (8-1) at Miss. State (5-4) - Alabama will have to get over there overtime lost to LSU last week cause they are still in the hunt for a SEC West title and national title race. The Bulldogs have wheeled off two victories in a row for the first time this season but they were against Kentucky and Tennessee-Martin. Now they face Alabama who they haven't beaten since 2007, Saban's first year at Alabama.
9) Florida (5-4) at South Carolina (7-2) - The Gamecocks will need to win this game and hope Georgia loses one of its last two SEC games to win the SEC East. South Carolina is coming off a lost to Arkansas in Fayetteville last week. Last year South Carolina won the SEC in this game as they beat Florida in Gainesville 36-14. Florida finally won last week beating Vanderbilt 26-21 after dropping four games in a row.
10) Michigan (7-2) at Illinois (6-3) - The illini are coming off a bye week where before they had lost three games in a row after winning there first six games. Now they are basically out of the Big Ten Leaders division race with a 2-3 record in conference play. The Wolverines lost to Iowa last week in Iowa City as they were stopped on the goalline down 24-16. Last season these two teams went into three overtimes combining for 132 points as Michigan won 67-65.
Here are some other key matchups for week 11
11) Miami(Fl) (5-4) at Florida State (6-30
12) Washington (6-3) at USC (7-2)
13) Texas A&M (5-4) at Kansas State (7-2)
14) UCLA (5-4) at Utah (5-4)
15) West Virginia (6-3) at Cincinnati (7-1)
16) Pittsburgh (4-5) at Louisville (5-4)
17) Louisiana (8-2) at Arkansas State (7-2)
18) Hawaii (5-4) at Nevada (5-3)
19) (Tues.) Western Michigan (5-4) at Toledo (5-4)
20) (Wed.) Miami(OH) (4-5) at Temple (5-4)
21) Marshall (4-5) at Tulsa (6-3)