- Sports and Recreation
Basketball vs Soccer
While basketball is one of the most popular sport in the US, soccer/football is the fastest growing and most popular sport in the world.In most countries soccer is called football, which makes sense, because unlike American football, soccer is played with foot,( though there are throw-in´s, where the player uses hands to throw the ball back to the game, and the other exception is the goalkeeper) the other played mainly using hands not foot.
Too often are basketball and soccer/football considered as opposites.Both of them are very interesting to watch for the fans, but these two games have many differences.
- Soccer is played by two teams of eleven trying to guide a soccer ball into goal cages at the opposite ends of the field, the players are allowed to use different parts of their body, in normal situation using had is not allowed.
- Basketball is played by two teams of five throwing a ball through the top of a basketball hoop while following the rules of the game.
- Soccer ball's standard circumference is 27-28 inches.The soccer ball's circumference is 27-28 inches.Unlike basketball,young soccer players can and often do use a smaller ball.For kids 8 years old or younger, a ball of 23 to 24 inches in circumference is recommended. For kids 9 to 12, a ball of 25 to 26 inches is often used.A standard soccer ball is made of leather
- Basketball ball´s standard circumference in the NBA is 29.5 inches.Basketballs typically range in size from very small promotional items possibly only a few inches in diameter to extra large balls nearly a foot in diameter used in training exercises to increase the skill of players.A standard basketball is made of leather
- Soccer games are 90 minutes long.They are divided up into two 45-minute halves, between the two halves players have a 15-minute break. A tie is recorded as such unless it is a championship game, in which case they will play a 30-minute overtime period.
- Basketball is divided into four quarters.The teams can take breaks at any moment of the game.Additional time (overtime) may be issued when the game ends with a tie.
- Soccer is mainly played outdoors, however soccer can be played indoors as well.
- Basketball is usually played indoors, but with a good weather playing basketball outdoors is a very cool and refreshing experience.
- Soccer came into the Olympic games in 1908, 5 teams(Great Britain, Denmark, Netherlands, France and Sweden) competed, Great Britain wont the gold medal.Since 1952 Hungary has won the most gold medals(3 gold medals to be exact) in the Olympics, in soccer.
- Basketball became an official Olympic event in Berlin, Germany in 1936, 23 teams competed, USA won the gold medal.As of the 2008 games USA has won the most gold medals(12 gold medals to be accurate) in the Olympics in basketball.
- Pele is considered to be the best soccer player of all times.Pele has scored 1,281 goals.He has participated in 4 world cups.
- Michael Jordan is considered to be the most successful basketball player.Michael Jordan, has scored more points (5,987) in the playoffs than any other player in basketball history.
- Soccer can be played everywhere.You only need a ball to play soccer.As a kid, I often played soccer with my friends, we didn´t have goal cages, so the goal was between two trees or between two school bags.
- Basketball has some limitations.To play basketball you need a ball, a basketball hoop and a solid place to bounce your ball.Though everyone can play " basketball " at their desk, throwing crinkled paper balls to trash can, there´s even a game about it on iPhone - it´s called paper toss.
While there are many differences between two games, both are cool to play and watch.If you think I left something out, then please feel free to post a comment.
Thank you for reading&don´t forget to rate up if you liked it:)