- Sports and Recreation»
- Youth Organizations
Our favorite dessert on a cub scout campout
Desert is a great time when you are camping out. Normally, it involves something you make over a fire like Smores or roasting marshmallows. While camping with the cub scouts, some of the parents make a dessert that is called Dutch Oven Cobbler. Dump Cake, or like we like to call it, Campfire Cobbler.
Ingredients for Cooking Cobbler
One 12 ounce Can of Pie Filling (Pick your Favorite flavor - Apple, Cherry, Blueberry, Rubarb, Lemon)
One Box of Yellow Cake Mix (Not the Pudding Type)
One Stick (1/4 cup) of Butter
Other Ingredients are added for different combinations of cobbler (Walnuts, Chocolate Sauce, Can of Pineapple)
Try these combinations:
Cherry Pie Filling, a Can of Crushed Pineapple, and Walnuts
Cherry Pie Filling with Chocolate Sauce
Apple Pie Filling with Caramel Sauce
Apple Pie Filling with fresh Raspberries
Apple Pie Filling, 1 Cup Brown Sugar, Cinnamon
What is your favorite Fruit Filling?
Setting up your Cobbler Ingredients
We cook our cobbler in a 12 inch cast iron dutch oven. Coat the bottom of the oven with cooking spray, and then line the dutch oven with tinfoil.
The setup is like this:
1. Pour the Pie Filling and Other Fruit on the bottom of the lined dutch oven.
2. Spread the Cake Mix evenly over the Pie Filling (Do not Mix!)
3. Take small chunks of the butter and lay them on top of the Pie Filling
4. Sprinkle on Top the Walnuts or Chocolate Sauce or Caramel Sauce
You want to cook this at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes. We have found the following works really well if you used charcoal briquets to cook dinner.
1. Place 9 briquets under the Dutch Oven
2. Place 14 briquets on the lid of the Dutch Oven (You may find different combinations that work better for your dutch oven)
While cooking rotate the oven and the lid to spread the hot spots.
Spoon into bowls and serve hot! Great on those cold nights.