jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

when is it lawful for a goal keeper to catch the ball

1. profile image47
    biffa10posted 7 years ago

when is it
    lawful for a goal keeper to catch the ball

with regards to if the ball in over the field of play ie out side the box ,where must his feet be with nregard the are line ?

2. profile image0
    Vrijdag Pagesposted 7 years ago

After a header back from a player or a pass back that isn't looking like a goal scoring opportunity.

3. harleylyden profile image54
    harleylydenposted 7 years ago

he can only use his hands within the goal box, anything outside the box is feet only

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

It's a long time since I bothered to check the laws of football, everything keeps changing and I've given up trying to keep up, especially the offside rule:-)  As far as I know, the lines enclosing the penalty area are part of the penalty area, if the goal keeper's feet are touching those lines, he can handle the ball outside of that area.  I think that would be in keeping with other laws that the lines are part of the field of play.

5. Leachy79 profile image56
    Leachy79posted 7 years ago

The ball and the goalkeepers hands are the only things that are important here.  Both must be inside the penalty area.  The line is considered inside.  It does not matter where any other part of the goalkeeper is, so long as the ball and his hands are within the area.

6. SpiffyD profile image84
    SpiffyDposted 6 years ago

Leachy is absolutely correct. The position of the feet is irrelevant when the keeping is holding the ball. He can step outside of the box, once he holds the ball inside. The boundary lines belong to the penalty area, so once the whole of the ball does not cross the line, he can legally hold, touch or parry the ball.