jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you feel about the NFL moving up the kickoffs to the 35 yard line?

1. thebeast02 profile image84
    thebeast02posted 6 years ago

How do you feel about the NFL moving up the kickoffs to the 35 yard line?

In the season opener alone, we saw more touchbacks in Lambeau Field than it had seen all of last season. Player safety is an obvious concern, but this takes away a huge portion of the game. Not entirely, as we saw both sides have returns for touchdowns, but it still limits it greatly. Thoughts?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5498610_f260.jpg

2. Paul Kuehn profile image95
    Paul Kuehnposted 6 years ago

I'm all for it.  I remember back in the 60s watching football, and during that era kickoffs were from the 40 yard line.  It's always fun to see a 106 or 108 yard kickoff return.

3. Phil The Gain profile image64
    Phil The Gainposted 6 years ago

I think that it's pretty silly.  People are still going to get hurt.  Football should be about action and touchbacks aren't too exciting.

4. Tom T profile image68
    Tom Tposted 6 years ago

I'm not in favor of it.  I think kick returns are part of the game.  As kicker legs get stronger, there are more touch backs. Takes away from the game.  There is both in game strategy, how to defend against a good kick returner and personnel strategy, what players perform best in the kickoff game.  Those two aspects are gone.  There is no better way to change the momentum of the game if after allowing your opponent to score, bringing one back all the way for a touchdown on the kickoff.

5. JPayton profile image61
    JPaytonposted 6 years ago

It't completly lame - it takes away what the excitment of a kick off return brings to the game and also helps the teams with weak special teams.  I don't like it.

6. DJProfessorK profile image60
    DJProfessorKposted 6 years ago

That picture is hilarious, but I'd like to see it back at the 30. If only for the beginning of the season, it is important to have special team be a factor.

As the season progresses, the amount of touchbacks decrease, so it will still be a major factor late in the season.

7. naveickel profile image57
    naveickelposted 6 years ago

Personally I think this rule has taken away a lot from the excitement of the game. Being a Bears fan its disappointing to one of their strongest team assets nullified. If the real concern is player safety, then how is the always dangerous onside kick still allowed? Or  perhaps that's just next to go.

working