Do you think it's a good idea to host a Athletics World Championships in Africa

1. AfricaResource profile image63
    AfricaResourceposted 6 years ago

Do you think it's a good idea to host a Athletics World Championships in Africa in 2019?

2. MarleneB profile image96
    MarleneBposted 6 years ago

I would shy away from having any event in any country (not just singling out Africa) where there is so much upheaval. I fear for the safety of athletes in countries where war and strife is a daily part of life. On the other hand, living here in America and relying on the national news to feed information to me, I may be way out of line with my thinking. I am curious to read other points of view on this subject. Excellent question!

3. CyclingFitness profile image96
    CyclingFitnessposted 6 years ago

Of course it could be seen as a good idea. As a continent Africa provides a huge number of competitive athletes to the world stage. Why shouldn't they have the opportunity to showcase their talents on their own continent?

In response to MarleneB- whilst there are a number of African countries currently in positions of political unrest that is not the continent as a whole and South Africa showed at the recent Soccer World Cup the potential and ability they have to stage an event on the world stage.

A real worry is that many see a problem with a country within Africa as a problem within the African continent as a whole. Having recently visited Morocco and witnessed at first hand it is a very stable country so the risk in many cases is that people only consider Africa as a whole and not it's individual countries. You hear of people that went to Africa to Climb Kilimanjiro however you don't hear people say they travelled to Europe to Climb Mont Blanc or Asia to climb Everest.