jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What type of backpack do you use for a weekend hike?

1. Outbound Dan profile image99
    Outbound Danposted 5 years ago

What type of backpack do you use for a weekend hike?

So what kind of pack are you using for a standard 3 day backpacking trip?  Though I have many packs, perhaps too many, my favorite weekend pack is either my MacPac Amp Race or my Granite Gear Vapor Trail.  Then again, my North Face Skareb is pretty cool too.  Anyway, just wonder what everyone else is carrying. 

2. krillco profile image93
    krillcoposted 5 years ago

When I was a Boy Scout leader, I used a (used) A.L.I.C.E. pack, sized medium....worked great...got a lot of use out of it...likely originally cost the taxpayer a few hundred dollars, got mine on cheaperthandirt.com for about twenty bucks.

3. Turtlewoman profile image95
    Turtlewomanposted 5 years ago

I have only used my Arteryx Bora once for a weekend hiking trip. I bought it on Steep and Cheap 2 years ago at a really good discounted price.
    It had a pretty good moisture resistant outer layer. Shoulder straps and belt were very comfortable. I actually really liked the quality. Arteryx usually makes top notch, quality winter jackets so I figured their backpacks would be impressive too. It's probably going to last me another 30 years, at the rate that I use it. :-)

4. Availiasvision profile image83
    Availiasvisionposted 3 years ago

I have a Northface Terra 35, a Dueter Futura Pro 34, and a Dueter ACT lite 60.  They all serve different functions.  I use my smaller bags for one-nighters, and extended day trips, while I use my 60 liter for longer excursions.  '

I love my Dueter ACT the most because it is lightweight, simple, has tons of room, is very narrow for fitting into tight spots, has a helmet/wet item pouch, and a back plate unlike anything else I've tried.  It's also adjustable, so I can lend it out to friends and always have it fit them.  The hip belt glues to your hips and holds the weight really well.  It cinches down really small, and expands out an extra 10 liters for long adventures.  I fell like I can use it for everything.