What was the best hike you have been on and why?

1. hockey8mn profile image77
    hockey8mnposted 5 years ago

What was the best hike you have been on and why?

2. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 5 years ago

I would have to conclude; it was the day we were dropped off by chopper north of Lake Superior, about 5 miles from the former North point of the Ogoki (logging) Road. I think it was about 5o miles north of Nakina.
    Later that day after setting up camp and hiking about 2 miles we (we worked in parties of 2) Leno and I came across a cedar swamp which we quickly found out was flooded with crystal clear water, in other words there was a natural spring leaking out and flooding the area of beautiful cedar trees. There were some flowering plants in the undergrowth in the higher areas; yet for the most part it was just a swamp of magnificent cedar trees.
    The area had an aroma that was rose-like and it truly was mesmerizingly peaceful and serene. We had no idea we would ever come across such a treasure and at first it seemed like just another swamp. After we rested there for awhile; we marked it on our notes, completed our surveying and returned to camp.
    Now the hike was really nothing out of the ordinary; it took us through pine ridges, several swamps, some rocky areas with jack pine, and spruce lowlands. Yet this particular cedar swamp near the end was so beautiful, unique and quite frankly mystifyingly serene and highly attracting.
    It has left a "flash bulb" like memory within me and although I know I loved being there I have little idea why...

working