What is your understanding of Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do?

1. bernard.sinai profile image81
    bernard.sinaiposted 5 years ago

What is your understanding of Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do?

According to my understanding, Jeet Kune Do is a philosophy rather than a style of martial art. The idea is to adopt techniques that are practical and useful and disregard those that are not and simplification i.e., refining techniques by removing unnecessary motion.

What is your opinion?   

2. sengstar2005 profile image96
    sengstar2005posted 5 years ago

My understanding of Jeet Kune Do is that it is supposed to not be a style or a system. It's more like a way of expressing yourself.

From what I have read and seen in documentaries, it looks like a system. Whether they borrow techniques from Muay Thai, Wrestling, etc.., at the end of the day, it is a type of system. If it was a philosophy, then you can apply it while still being a boxer, or a kareteka, or a kung fu stylist. Then there would be no need for Jeet Kune Do schools. Perhaps Jeet Kune Do is no longer what Bruce had intended it to be. I certainly have no interest in it as compared to when I was younger (when I wanted to be like Bruce Lee).

3. NateB11 profile image94
    NateB11posted 5 years ago

You pretty much nailed it. It involves developing whatever is useful in terms of techniques of different systems, and developing attributes--reflexes, speed, power--using drills. There are some basic principles like economical motion, etc.