jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Are people safe with more guns or less guns?

1. andrew savage profile image59
    andrew savageposted 5 years ago

Are people safe with more guns or less guns?

2. dailytop10 profile image93
    dailytop10posted 5 years ago

It's not just about having guns or not. Even a plain rock can be used as a deadly weapon. In fact, everything around us can be lethal if used with killer intent. We should not concentrate on eliminating every tool for violence since it's simply not possible. Why not aim for its root cause? The best way to start is educate the young ones about violence and remind them that it won't lead to anything good.

1. niceandfizzy profile image79
      niceandfizzyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That’s so true, the saying 'guns don't kill, people do' comes to mind.

2. andrew savage profile image59
      andrew savageposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How do you feel about Swiss gun control laws?

3. dailytop10 profile image93
      dailytop10posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Laws regardless how well-made they are won't be of use without proper implementation. I don't have anything against gun control laws as long as they are seriously carried out. Without action, they are simply empty words.

3. internpete profile image90
    internpeteposted 5 years ago

It all depends on the person.

Give a violent person a gun, the world is less safe.

Give a reasonable, upstanding, level-headed person a gun, the world is a safer place.

It's not the guns that are the problem, they are just a means for violent people to act out their violence.

4. tksabresinos profile image59
    tksabresinosposted 5 years ago

The question should be are people safe with the people they surround themselves with? I have friends with guns and I feel completely safe with them more so than some other friends of mine that don't know anything about gun safety. The fact still stands that gun violence will go down with less guns, but the fact will still stand that the amount of violent people will probably remain the same. To be honest I think that if we put less media out there that show guns killing people gun violence will actually go down. It's how people think to use the tools given to them.

1. ercramer36 profile image95
      ercramer36posted 5 years agoin reply to this

See the city of Chicago aka murder capital of the United States.  Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the nation. The violence is an issue of the heart and only by changing their hearts will we see the murder rate drop.

5. Edward J. Palumbo profile image85
    Edward J. Palumboposted 4 years ago

We live in a complicated world. Well trained and well motivated people are safer with guns. The mere existence of firearms is not a CAUSE of violence. The violence we observe as a society is the product of a very different attitude and deterioration of social responsibility attributable to other issues. We have a great many laws that address the legal purchase and use of firearms, but we cannot legislate good intentions, moral responsibility and judgment. On the other hand, we cannot punish those who have conducted themselves blamelessly to contain those who have violent intent. It is the greater wrong to deny good citizens the right to defend themselves against criminals. The criminals will not willingly disarm.