jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What do you do when you're camping and it's raining?

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 3 years ago

What do you do when you're camping and it's raining?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8998461_f260.jpg

2. mgeorge1050 profile image79
    mgeorge1050posted 3 years ago

We usually bring along a deck of cards for rainy days.  Card games and the occasional card trick help pass the time.

lisasuniquevoiceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

mgeorge,
      I'm going to take cards, scrabble, and backgammon on my next camping trip.
      Thank you,
      Lisa

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

It depends on how hard it's raining and what the temperature is like. Unless there's a lightning, I'll put on my boots and raincoat and still enjoy a good walk through the woods. As mgeorge said, cards are always a good activity. If your the creative type, you can always sit around making up stories.

lisasuniquevoiceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

sheilamyers,
      I like the idea of going for a hike in the rain. I guess you just have to go for it.
      Thanks so much,
      Lisa

4. Availiasvision profile image83
    Availiasvisionposted 3 years ago

I went camping in Big Basin and it poured cats and dogs for 3 days straight, with absolutely no letting up.  Even though it wasn't ideal, I gained thicker skin and learned a few tips and tricks. 

Using tarps and canopies, we set up a tent city, and spent most of our time living outdoors.  It took some effort, but we started a bonfire and used that to warm ourselves.  The heat creates a little pocket of dryness around it. 

I also took rain walks, which gave me a different perspective on hiking.  You do have to be careful of flash floods, slippery trails, and hypothermia.

Reading books, playing cards, and socializing are all great ways to enjoy your time camping in the rain.

working