Are NFL preseason games to long in it's current format of four games?

1. Sam Tumblin profile image68
    Sam Tumblinposted 3 years ago

Are NFL preseason games to long in it's current format of four games?

Personally I think preseason is too long, to me I think two games should be good enough. The reason I say this because talent is often evaluated thru practice, and each year you pretty much have an idea as to who's starting or not. Many times major changes are made if their are injuries or glaring needs such as quarterback, but sometimes that takes weeks to get the right personnel for a system. What do you think? Are NFL preseason games to long in it's current format?

2. Dan Boehlen profile image59
    Dan Boehlenposted 3 years ago

4 preseason games is too many.  Starters are rarely on the field for games 1 & 4 and only slightly longer in game 2.  Game 3 is the only one where starters play extended series, and even then most are pulled at halftime.

I would like to see a format where there are 2 preseason games (keep the regular season at 16, that is enough).  In its place there should be a series of scrimmages.  Yes, this means less money for owners b/c scrimmages are performed at practice facilities.  But they could work it out where 3 or 4 teams get together at a neutral location and work in a rotation.  This would need to be a more controlled, not full out, no holds barred.  The purposes is to get reps & develop players.  Then get to the 2 preseason games where you play your starters more in preparation for the regular season.  Something needs to change.  Charging regular prices for games played predominantly by guys who won't be in the league 2 weeks later is highway robbery.

1. Sam Tumblin profile image68
      Sam Tumblinposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's a hot mess the NFL needs to fix! Maybe even Thursday night...I misses the Saints versus Carolina that got moved...another subject.
      Thanks

working