Manchester City the new Chelsea?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (57 posts)
  1. TravelMonkey profile image61
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

Does anyone think Manchester city will become the new Chelsea and start dominating the Prem League?

I'm not sure they will, they might break into the top 4, replacing Liverpool but the top teams already have solid foundations with Chelsea and Manchester United having an almost inpenetrable fixed position.

City beat Chelsea to sign Robinho who plays for city in their next game ,ironically against Chelsea.

Should be a good game : )

2. profile image51
    archimedes09posted 15 years ago

Wigan Athletic 2 - 1 Manchester C.

7 Blackburn Rovers FC  6   10
    8 Manchester City FC   6   9
    9 Portsmouth FC          6   9

No comment

3. TravelMonkey profile image61

6 games gone, nothing can be cemented now. Arsenal were beaten 2-1 by Stoke so mis-haps do happen.

Man City will finish in the top 5 this season and will qualify for Champions league within three.

You heard it here first!

4. profile image54
    sharewareposted 15 years ago

well, u never know what will happen in this ridiculous football business.

people are buying players for fun and they don't really care about how they insult the world of football.

i think it will take few months (or may be years) to build a strong team. although chelsea was built quickly, but it was one of the top teams.

but still, football is the team sport. even though Man City will buy 6-7 world class players it will take time to gel them. Remember what happend in Madrid when Real wanted to buy all the megastar players. they collapsed at the end!!!!

only time will show

5. TravelMonkey profile image61

As an avid Manchester united supporter I truly hope they don't succeed, especially with our current position in the league. Liverpool are looking pretty good this time around but i'm sure it is a phase like most other seasons wink

1. ASHWINSPGA profile image58
      ASHWINSPGAposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It has been 3 weeks after your post but Liverpool are still tops. I think this is the season they are going to stake a claim what is rightfully theirs. the league title. Man Utd is over man. Come over to Anfield where the grass is greener. big_smile

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
        Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The Championship is much more interesting!

Of course the Championship is interesting. Look at how many teams are up there fighting for top 2 towards the end. Bristol flopped at their last 5 games and Hull took advantage, Barnsley made a sudden U turn and limped their way to safety. Thats what makes it so damn exciting. you will never know its over till its over.

.....and Preston won today. Looking forward to another adrenaline filled season!

Shucks Liverpool drew again!!! Hull is really turning out to be a surprise package. They are doing more damage than Reading did when they went up. They even managed to score 3 at old trafford now thats something most big teams cant even boast about. But to even things up Man utd drew too. And now if only Chelsea do the same today all things will be in order.

Aston Villa are up there too - it could be a very interesting season! Impossible to predict who will win the title this season.

Nope winning the title will be one of the 3 though i doubt Man Utd will be able to cover the loss points. Its just the unpredictability of games now thats exciting and at the same time intruging. No more 100% Arsenal wins against bottom clubs and even for Man Utd Chelsea and Liverpool there are no such thing as sure fire wins. But end of the season the top 4 will pull through thats how it is unless City. Newcastle Villa and Spurs use their money wisely and have a good start to the season if not dont expect any major change to the league table at every end of the season for a long long time.
                  I miss QPR. i always see them as a very glamorous team with a great name for a club and just for that alone deserve to be in the Premiership same goes for Sheffield United Coventry City and Crystal Palace. They all have big team names and these names really don't belong in the Championship

6. TravelMonkey profile image61

No way, nice try but I could never make the trip to Anfield or wherever you are being moved too. Your time at the top will come to an end soon, its not long before Villa move in on your top four spot, or even better, Everton smile

Chelsea drew again which is good news.

The Premier League is looking a lot better this season with a lot more teams not too far behind the top spots and only a few points in it in the relegation battle, the battle for Europe looks to be a lot more competitive and interesting.

7. TravelMonkey profile image61

I loved Crystal Palace back in the day, good old Chris Armstrong with his diving headers. Sheffield Wednesday were a good team with the likes of Chris Waddle.

I played in a charity match recently where to brothers supporting Sheffield United and Wednesday played against each other on a conference level pitch to raise money for a good cause. I played for United and received a phone call on my way down saying that Chris Waddle was rumoured to be playing, he didn't turn up in the end, thank god. Great day though and we won the game on penalties.

James Beattie warrants premier league action at least I think.

A guy from my hometown! - Always look out for him, and would not mind him at Preston.

Glad you had a great day out, and all for a good cause smile

2. ASHWINSPGA profile image58

AH Crystal Palace. The experts on the dead ball free kicks. Just loved them and their Tdk blue and Red stripes. Cant wait to see them up again. They really love to stir things among the big boys. Notice how the Championship top 3 are leaping above one another. Man anyone willing to stick their neck out for the 3 to make it to the Epl next season? Im going for Birmingham and Wolves for auto promotion and Reading to make it through the back door.

8. TravelMonkey profile image61

Yeah I do hope the premier league livens up a little this season, who do you think will go down?

West Brom
    Sunderland
    Bolton

Bolton?? seriously travel Monkey? They are doing quite well actually. they just ended a fine 5 game winning streak. thats 15 points.
      If i were to predict i say, WestBrom(No way they are going to do that miracle escape they did a few seasons ago)
      Stoke City(Players will soon find the season too long to fight all the way and give up)
      Portsmouth( With the player exodus happening in January i don't think they are going to gel together quickly enough with an almost new team midway through the season.

No argument here, although I feel that West Ham may be in trouble. I have great respect for Zola as a great player and a little gentleman, but maybe this is not the time for an inexperienced manager. Added to the financial turmoil, it does not bode well.

True Sufidreamer i was inclined to add West Ham to the list  too but Zola being there made me lose heart. What a player. One of the greatest down to earth footballers i have seen in my time. I want him in England for a long time.as i wish for Roy Keane.
          Hey after being this long in Hubpages its so nice to finally meet football fans here and talk about our love.. Got to thank travel Monkey for that.

9. TravelMonkey profile image61

Maybe I was being a little biased adding Bolton, I support Tranmere as a second team and they do not favour too well in my books.
    City lost at the weekend (again(and against West Brom)) and Hughes has come out saying that the owners are giving him the chance to spend his way out of trouble. I personally do not mind if our league has millions of pounds invested in to it, it'll cement our status of the greatest league in the world.

I love football, every chance I get I am either playing, watching or drawing up my fantasy team smile

It would be nice to know what team you guys support?

It really funny you know only a while back Travel Monkey was asking whether City would end up turning into a new Chelsea now they are in the drop zone. Football is sure funny. Anyway Im Liverpool out and out. Dont really have a second team but if i were to choose one based entirely on a soft spot in my heart then that will be Forest. cant help feeling something for fallen champions

10. TravelMonkey profile image61

I know, it is a funny old game. Give them a season or two and they'll be up there.

As for Liverpool, do you think they have what it takes to win the league now? Personally I don't think they have the depth in their squad to go the full length; granted, they have a world class starting team but playing players such as Lucas and Babel will not win you a title.

11. profile image57
    panah100posted 15 years ago

Nope. Can't see them achieving what Chelsea has.

We have seen funny things happening in Championships. Anyone willing to stick your neck out and say they knew all along Liverpool would win the European Cup in 05? IN singapore the odds of them winning after the knockstages were over were 25/1. so i don't think its entirely impossible for Liverpool to win the league. and you cant exactly say their players are not class. Almost everyone of the first 11 are full internationals. remember they have lost only once this season and their record against the top 3 reads win2 draw 1. So i think they got a good thing going there and it can only get better under Bentiez

12. profile image57
    panah100posted 15 years ago

Well, Rafa has been known for taking European Cups more seriously, if you know what I mean. Liverpool is just a difficult team to play against but they did get lucky against AC Milan in that final. Let's not forget that.

Lucky? How? the three goals were well worked goals. the penalty was given after Gattuso pulled Gerrard back when he was on goal clear cut. so no luck there. the only luck that happened was the double save in at extra time by Dudek. The first effort was a great one handed save the second was saved by pure blind luck. saying that AC too had their moments so i don't think you can credit that win by luck. Football Miracle yes. why? because they hit 3 in 6 mins. thats called fighting spirit. If 3 goals in 6 minutes is luck then how about United's 2 goal in a minute against their final with Bayern? The expectancy level in Liverppol has changed. Now that they have established themselves as regular contenders for the European crown Rafa now knows Liverpool want the only trophy they have not won yet. He is even doing the unthinkable by resting players in Champs League matches so that they are fresh for their league game. I have a feeling they are going to make their mark this season. Of course Chelsea are helping them with their cause by dutifully drawing games when Liverpool does likewise tongue

13. TravelMonkey profile image61

Yeah they were quite lucky to be fair. Liverpool should have been done and dusted early in the second half. Gerrard is a well known diver if you look back at how many penalties he has won for Liverpool; he goes down well too easy. He can't half give a tackle but taking one is another matter.

Liverpool are favoured by many to win the title now as they pride themselves on being stronger in the second half of the season but they still have a lot of hard fixtures, Man u have had a lot of their tough away fixtures out of the way now and it'll only be a matter of time before Liverpool start slipping up to mid table teams.

"Michael Shields has been seen wearing a 'free Steven Gerrard T-shirt"

Stevie G got arrested yesterday morning. Seems like iverpool once again are pressing the self destruct button. sighhhh.... How can a captain with so much of things going on for his club concentrate fully with a court case hanging over him? Lets see lets see.

I am a Preston North End fan, so I hope that Gerrard is locked up until after Saturday. If the police could see fit to arrest the rest of the first team squad, that would be even better wink

Thats a nice New year wish. MAY YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE MY FRIEND

14. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 15 years ago

Thanks Buddy - yours too smile

I cannot get across for the match, but a win would be nice. A draw and replay at Anfield would also go down well.

Going to be tough, though - Liverpool are on form at the moment sad

Liverpool are not known to drop out so early in the cup. They have won most of the time whichever team they face. True its really going to be tough for Preston. hey how about this prematch title... English Football league first ever champions up against 18 times winners Liverpool. Cool eh!!!

Going to be very tough! Interesting match up, though, as there are a lot of links between the two clubs.

The great Bill Shankly spent most of his playing career at Preston, and the Liverpool fans will be sitting in the Bill Shankly Kop.

Mark Lawrenson is a Prestonian and started his career with the club.

Our star striker, Neil Mellor, was a Liverpool player so will be keen to score against Liverpool.

A very tasty match - if Preston snatch a draw and a replay back at Anfield, that would be awesome. A win would be better, but a lot of luck will be needed for that!

2. triggywiggy profile image60
        triggywiggyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

yea but preston where the first ever team in the world to win a premiership That means preston are the best and are gon to beat Liverpool this week

:p

15. triggywiggy profile image60
    triggywiggyposted 15 years ago

i lived in preston and i support them

I think Preston will flog liverpool

GO PRESTON

16. JollieOllie profile image62
    JollieOllieposted 15 years ago

Let another PandE supporter. Liverpool v PnE who will win. Score?

Not saying - I hate to tempt fate. wink

It is on satellite over here, so I am going to sit with a beer and enjoy the match. At least PNE have nothing to lose!

Though im out and out Liverpool i always liked the underdogs to win in this kind of matches. Liverpool earn millions every year and for lower teams getting a draw or a win and a game in one of the 40 thousand seater stadiums against premiership apponents covers almost their entire season budget and if the team comes from the conference thats almost 3 seasons worth of wage bills covered. so i say go underdogs.
        http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/2830859179_ae1a5cd57d_b.jpg
        http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/2947220820_2a4c46126f.jpg?v=0
        http://farm1.static.flickr.com/87/275164685_960bfd4f5c.jpg?v=0
        http://farm1.static.flickr.com/80/243295964_6f04cfd141.jpg?v=0

17. JollieOllie profile image62
    JollieOllieposted 15 years ago

Its on Detanta sport. i would prefere it on fox sport though

18. Sufidreamer profile image78

Thanks ASHWINSPGA

I have beer and I am looking forward to the game! Whatever the result, the two clubs have an immense amount of respect for each other, and I hope that it will be a great match.

smile smile smile

Preston have never made life easy for any opponents and i can bet they are going to score the first goal. They would had trained like crazy and im 100% sure the first goal will be one that was worked on the training ground. but after that almost all these teams make the mistake of trying to hold on to the lead and thats when Liverpool will get to play their football again. When this happens you can be sure of Robbie Keane getting a hatrick for himself. If Preston are to get something out of this game first of all they must believe that the first goal was their own hard work and they can get another if they try again but if they start thinking wow we managed to get one we are so lucky now lets defend thats asking for trouble. Im so excited. Like you said Sufidreamer they got nothing to lose and Liverpool got everything on the line especially their pride. The crowd is going to be fantastic
      . Preston 1  Liverpool 2

19. Sufidreamer profile image78

1 - 2 is not a bad estimate.

As long as the team has a go, and sometimes a little bit of luck may come along. PNE very rarely keep a clean sheet, so we will probably need to score more than one. That is a tall order although, if you offered a 1 -1 draw now, I would happily take it!

1-1? Robbie Keane, Riera, Gerrard, Alonso Kuyt and even Benayoun are on fire my friend. Preston need to park their bus at the goal mouth for that score.  We will see in another hours time. The crowd is fantastic

20. ASHWINSPGA profile image58
    ASHWINSPGAposted 15 years ago

Man City are really in deep sh*t. They are down 0-2 to Forest and City are playing at home to add insult
    and Chelsea are only 1 up on Southend. Hope the Minnows score late and go to The Bridge and do a Barnsley. haha Now that would be a sight

Forest Green the conference team are 2-2 with Derby
      Arsenal 3-1 up against Plymouth
      Barnsley down 2 to West-ham
      Ipswich 2 up at Chester
      Thats the important ones right now. of course there are others playing, Hull and Newcastle no goals yet
      Everton 1 up against Maccesfield. Yeah go Merseyside
      Sunderland just scored 1 against Bolton
      Cardiff 1 up to Reading
      Midddlesboro 2 goals to the good against Barrow. no surprises there. will keep you updated my friend enjoy

21. ASHWINSPGA profile image58

fOREST NOW 3 UP AT Man City
    Arsenal disallowed a goal so they are only 2-1 up to Ply mouth. Forest green and Derby nopw 3-3

22. ASHWINSPGA profile image58

well Liverpool are leading, and Preston first 10 minute attacking frenzy seems to have fizzled out. Its all Liverpool now and if they continue playing like this i won't be surprised if Preston gets hammered. Half -time now. time for a toilet break and beer top up big_smile

23. ASHWINSPGA profile image58

http://lbtoronto.typepad.com/lbto/images/2008/06/12/peace_sign_2.jpghttp://www.parteaz.co.uk/cms/files/Number%200%20-%20Blue.jpg

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_02/LiverpoolFansGET_468x313.jpg

24. Sufidreamer profile image78

Ah, Well.

0 - 2

Preston had a go, but Liverpool had too much quality. At least Blackpool were knocked out by Torquay, so it is not a bad day!

Thats the spirit buddy. and also of course the mighty Chelsea held to a draw by a league 1 team

25. Junkster profile image59
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

Meh, Chelsea? Mighty? haha

thats right hahahaha
      http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/jamm216/1_203282273l.jpg

lol

26. TravelMonkey profile image61

Everton keeping the mighty Liverpool to a draw hey. lol
    That's the thing with Liverpool, they peak way too early and then people start saying "oh its their year this year, they can go all the way" But like every season, their premature form dips. Yes, they are strong towards the end of the season but its mid season they need to focus on. I think Rafa should get on with his Champions league journey, once again - FACT

27. rambo87 profile image61
    rambo87posted 15 years ago

Travel Monkey there is still a lot of games to play and a lot can still change. Liverpool's "dip" in form consists of a few home draws which in truth is not the end of the world. Although Man United are now favourites any slip up or even a win for Liverpool at Old Trafford could put Liverpool right back in the driving seat.

28. TravelMonkey profile image61

Yeah but with all the problems in the background they're doomed to nothing again this season. Its hardly going to be  a surprise again though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)