jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Francisco Liriano Throws First No-Hitter Of 2011

1. I am DB Cooper profile image71
    I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago

Twins pitcher Francisco Liriano, who has been awful this season up until last night, no-hit the White Sox in a 1-0 complete game win. The no-hitter brings Liriano's ERA to under 7.00 on the season and his record improves to 2-4.

Liriano was due for one of these starts. He's been blowing up my fantasy team all year. Interesting fact from last night's game: it was just the 5th 1-0 no-hitter in the past 20 years. Edwin Jackson, the losing pitcher in last night's game despite giving up just 1 run in 8 innings, had one of the other ones last season.

1. LakeShow T profile image77
      LakeShow Tposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LoL, ironic Jackson was pitching for the opposing team in this game. I remember all the talk about Jackson's ugly as it gets no-hitter last season and it's just funny how Liriano's was almost as ugly this time around.

On a side note, the Twins have been horrible this season and I don't know where that's coming from. Perhaps this can help get them going.

2. optimus grimlock profile image53
    optimus grimlockposted 6 years ago

to bad the ump blew the call on a beckham single when the tag was off by atleast a foot. its better to be on liriano's side of a nono then what happend to galaraga last yearliriano is still a slightly over average pitcher

1. LakeShow T profile image77
      LakeShow Tposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That would have been a fielder's choice and not a hit had it been called correctly.

I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's true. The missed call moved Liriano one out closer to the no-no, but it wouldn't have been scored a hit either way since a force out had already been made at second base.

3. LakeShow T profile image77
    LakeShow Tposted 6 years ago

Justin Verlander just pitched his 2nd career no-hitter today. These feats are seemingly becoming much less rare every year.

I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Very true. Liriano pitched a no-hitter and it wasn't even the top pitching performance in the American League last week. There have been half a dozen pitchers take no-hitters into the 7th inning in the past 7 days. Looks like we're going to have back-to-back Year(s) of the Pitcher.

4. optimus grimlock profile image53
    optimus grimlockposted 6 years ago

anibal sanchez has took 1 8 2/3 innings and another 7 innings he'll get another no hitter this season. I think another guy that could do it is cj wilson both are similar and underrated pitchers.

working