- Sports and Recreation»
- Hiking & Camping
Maryland State Parks
My family and I love going camping as mini weekend vacations. Sometimes you just need to get away. And camping out in Maryland is very inexpensive but very beautiful and fun. Some of the most beautiful Maryland State Parks are located in western Maryland. So you get to enjoy the Appalachian mountains.
Personally we like to go tent camping. Most camp sites at a Maryland state park has a place cleared for your tent. There is also a picnic table and a camp fire ring. All you need to do is set up your tent and have fun enjoying the out doors.
My personal favorite thing to do while camping in western Maryland is going hiking and enjoying all of the wonderful wildlife. If you get to visit the mountains in the autumn is you see the most beautiful colors of fall leaves. It really is breath taking.
Maryland State Park Campsites
Some of the best state parks for camping with a tent are...
- South Mountain State Park which is located along the Appalachian mountains. This site offers camping, hunting and of course hiking.
- Big Run State Park offers family camping as well as youth camping. It is located along the Savage River Reservoir which makes it a popular camp site for those who enjoy fishing. You can also enjoy boating and swimming at this location.
- Potomac State Forest is located along the beautiful Potomac River. This Maryland State Park offers camping, archery, and hiking.
- Garrett State Forest in Garrett County, Maryland offers Primitive campsites, hiking, hunting, birding, biking, skiing and snowmobiling.
- Green Ridge, located in Flintstone, MD offers camping, biking, fishing, boating and backpacking. There is also a hunting a shooting range.
- Savage River State Forest in central and eastern Garrett County and has camping and lots of trails for hikers.
Maryland Department of Natural Resources has a huge list of all the best Maryland Camping and Maryland Parks for Families.