Top 5 Reasons to Play Pickleball
What Is Pickleball?
No, it's not a new condiment or something junior high boys throw at junior high girls. Pickleball is a fun, energetic game that can be enjoyed by the whole family, from your six-year-old niece to your 84-year-old girlfriend. Check out the latest craze that's taking America's over-40 crowd by storm!
The Official Description
According to the USA Pickleball Association (yes, it really exists!), pickleball is played by two teams of two on a court with the same dimensions as a badminton court. The net is lowered to 34 inches. It is played with a plastic ball, similar to a whiffle ball and large, solid paddles. It is a fun, casual game that can turn fiercely competitive.
The Top 5 Reasons to Play Pickleball - There may be more!
Why take time out of your day, invest in some pickleball equipment and call a few friends? Read on...
- It's a blast! Whacking a ball as hard as you can, hearing the sound echo across the courtyard and watching your opponent's face freeze in fear is FUN! Because pickleball uses a ball similar to a rigid whiffleball, you can hit it hard and it won't launch into outer space (unless you have a tail wind.) However, many strategic players use the soft and subtle approach, gently tapping the ball so it falls just over the net. Either way, you can't help but get happy playing this game.
- You can play with anyone. Because the court is smaller than a tennis court, the ball is easy to hit and the paddle easy to hold, pickleball can be played by everyone, from children to the elderly. In fact, it is most popular in the over-40 age group. Power and speed are not necessary to play a rollicking game of pickleball.
- It's great exercise. While games like tennis require a lot of running, and 18 holes of golf takes half a day (at least,) you can get a great workout playing pickleball for an hour or so. Pickleball helps get your blood circulating, strengthens your muscles and releases endorphins you forgot you had.
- You can play it anywhere. Once you have the paddles, balls and a net, you can set up a pickleball court almost anywhere: a school parking lot, a basketball court or indoor gymnasium. Pickleball is portable and you can set up a game in a matter of minutes. If you just have paddles and balls, you can use a tennis court in a pickle (haha, sorry!)
- It's a social game. You can invite friends, acquaintances or even co-workers to play a friendly game of pickleball. It's a great way to get outside, take advantage of beautiful weather, laugh a little and work up a bit of a sweat all at the same time. Do you need more reasons to start playing pickleball?
Pickleball was named after Pickles, the cocker spaniel of one of the co-founders of the game. He used to chase stray balls then hide in the bushes.
Pickleball Stuff on Amazon
Pickleball! Get yer pickleball here! Get 'em while they're hot!
Once you've fallen in love, get this tell-all book.