Cosmetic Dentistry – A Complete Consumers Guide
Dentistry wasn’t so popular in the past until recently the concept of cosmetic dentistry came in. Whilst traditional dentistry emphasizes on oral hygiene and prevention and diagnosis of any oral health conditions followed by the required treatments. Cosmetic dentistry primarily emphasizes on improving one’s smile, teeth and overall teeth structure including the mouth. To be more precise, dentistry includes general, restorative and family dental treatments that address certain dental complications that demand necessary treatment, but cosmetic dentistry allows you to choose your desired treatment methods according to your needs. It isn’t about any complication but basically addressing certain concerns that are not really medical in nature.
Cosmetic dentistry can include family dentistry and restorative benefits as well. For instance, a dental filling is one of the most commonly practiced dental treatments for decayed teeth. Earlier on these fillings were usually composed of amalgam, gold or silver that left some visible marks on your teeth. However, with the advancement in the dental treatments and particularly cosmetic dentistry you can now have tooth colored fillings for the same purpose. These are basically porcelain fillings that match the color of your teeth. In fact, people are now choosing to replace their old fillings with new porcelain fillings for an enhanced appearance.
The Different Aspects of Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry is now being considered as the only durable dental treatment, and it is all due to the natural-looking methods of treatment used for bringing about remarkable changes in one’s overall appearance. Furthermore, dentists are also using excellent techniques of cosmetic dentistry to preserve the natural look of your teeth and its structure, which wasn’t really possible in the past.
Cosmetic dentistry also makes use of different technologies including lasers, beams, non-abrasive chemicals etc for excellent results. Smile makeovers, teeth whitening and implants are some of the most sought after treatments that fall into the category of cosmetic dentistry. As these processes are non-invasive, you don’t require sedation or anesthesia and it takes very little for the procedure to show its results. Excellent!
Different Treatments Involved in Cosmetic Dentistry
There are different cosmetic dentistry treatments of which teeth whitening is the most heard of. Noted here are some of the widely used cosmetic dentistry treatments.
- Teeth Whitening: One of the most requested procedures in some of the leading nations, teeth whitening can dramatically change your facial appearance in approximately 60 minutes. As our teeth become stained and yellow or grey over time due to certain foods and beverages or due to improper hygiene, people often feel the need to restore the color of their teeth. Bleaching or teeth whitening can do just that for you and enhance your smile in very less time.
- Composite Bonding: With the help of this method of cosmetic dentistry you can now easily improve the conditions like chopped, discolored, decayed or broken teeth. Your teeth can actually be repaired with these treatments to correct your appearance. A specially formulated composite material is applied into your cavity that looks quite similar to your dentin and enamel. After applying it is hardened with the use of high-intensity beam or laser. This results in proper restoration of your teeth that blends well with your surrounding teeth structure, thus giving you glittering smile.
- Inlays and Onlays: This is often called indirect filling. These are made from composite or porcelain material that lasts longer and provides a filling to your teeth. It helps in treating decayed tooth and other structural damages. While the dental fillings are usually molded into the teeth during the visits, the onlays are made in the dental laboratory and then fitted with an adhesive into the correct place.
- Veneers: Porcelain or composite veneers help in laminating the surface of your teeth to repair cracks and chips that can make your appearance dull and ugly. It is also used for filling the gaps between teeth and sometimes for teeth whitening as well.
- Smile Makeovers: Smile makeover is a comprehensive procedure that involves the assessment of one’s smile in order to successfully improve the overall appearance of the candidate. It usually involves more than one of the cosmetic dentistry procedures like veneers, teeth whitening, sculpting or some other combinations. Smile makeovers involve both the upper and the lower jaw for better effect.
- Dental Implants: Implants are basically artificial teeth replacement techniques that can be used as a prosthetic or artificial replacement treatment. In case of a tooth loss or sudden accident or badly broken teeth, dental implants can be used. The results of dental implants have been very impressive. It not only helps in improving your appearance but also makes you look younger and better.
- Full Mouth Reconstruction Techniques: This method of treatment involves your full mouth including teeth, muscles, bone structure and other necessary details. During your whitening treatment, if there are any other functional problems your dentist might advise a full mouth reconstruction treatment. This treatment might sound very difficult and painful, but it is not, with the latest advancements in the field of medical science, these treatments are just so easy that you would not even realize that you are actually being treated for something. Dentist now offers more functional, durable and sound treatments having a natural look and feel.
If you are unhappy with your smile, cosmetic dentistry is the only way for you. There are many cosmetic dentists available today, offering comprehensive range of treatments that can help in enhancing your appearance to make you look good and feel better once again.
Life is too short to be gloomy and sad; instead you must laugh and laugh aloud so that the world can hear your. And the world should laugh with you too.