- Fashion and Beauty
10 Tips for Better Skin
Your skin covers your entire body and can constitute 16 percent of your body weight. Since the skin is on the outside of the body, you want to have it looking and feeling as good as possible. Especially when it comes to the face, hands, and feet which are the most exposed parts of the body. Most days you come in contact with the sun, air pollution, smoke, and dry or humid air. All of these can affecct the way your skin looks and feels. The following tips will help you to combat all of this and keep your skin as smooth and elastic as possible.
1. Protect your skin from the sun with sunscreen. Whenever you are out in the sun for more than ten minutes, apply a layer of broad spectrum SPF as that will protect you from all the rays (UVA and UVB). Both can do damage to the collagen and elastin, so you need to protect your skin from it. Even when it is cloudy, the sun's rays can affect your skin. Make it a practice to apply sunscreen every day before you leave the house. If you find that it feels thick or sticky after applying with your hands, try using a sponge. The sponge will help you to apply a thinner layer that will help your skin absorb it better.
2. Use shaving cream whenever your shave. If you shave dry skin, it can cause irritation and redness. You could also be more susceptible to cutting yourself. After you shave, smooth on some body lotion to soothe the area. Always make sure your blades are sharp. Replace once they become dull.
3. If you have dark spots or scars on your skin, apply lemon juice. Over-the-counter products at the pharmacy contain harmful chemicals so you should avoid them. Pure lemon juice is natural and will do the trick more effectively.
4. No matter what type of skin you have (oily, dry, or normal) use moisturizer. All skin needs moisturizing to keep it soft and supple. Just look for the moisturizer that is for your type of skin. When moisturizing the face, do not forget the neck area. The neck can sometimes age more quickly than your face.
5. If you live in a dry area or have forced air heat in the winter, run a humidifier. Dry air can dry out your skin and make it crack. A humidifier releases moisture in the air. Make sure you have one running in your bedroom at night as well. You will find it makes a big difference in your skin.
6. Make sure you are getting the proper amount of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, and calcium. All of these are important for your skin and can prevent acne or dryness and wrinkles. They can help prevent cancer and heal wounds faster also. If possible try to get these vitamins from fresh food sources such as fruits and vegetables.
7. Remove all makeup before bedtime. If you can, wear as little makeup as possible. Many makeup products can cause blemishes. Use a wipe specifically for makeup removal first. Then use a cleanser on the skin both morning and night, as well as your moisturizer directly after. Try to use a gentle cleanser made with natural ingredients. Many contain harmful chemicals such as parabens and sulfates.
8. Don't neglect your hands and feet. Both of these show aging early if not moisturized on a daily basis. Apply moisturizer to feet at night and put on some cotton socks to hold it in. Your feet will be soft and smooth come morning. Try the same thing with your hands but use cotton gloves. Performing this daily will keep your hands and feet looking young.
9. Use rubber gloves when washing dishes or using cleaning products. Most household cleaning products contain harsh chemicals that can leave hands dry and red. Rubber gloves are affordable and easy to use.
10. Exfoliate your skin at least once a week. This step will slough away dead skin cells and leave skin that is fresh and smooth. Use a gentle exfoliator and do not scrub too hard as that will have the opposite effect. Cleansers are available that have exfoliating ingredients. If you have sensitive skin, these might work best.
No matter what your age or skin type, these tips will help you to keep your skin soft and supple. Remember that you need to perform these tasks as rituals for them to work fully. One misstep can set your skin back. When starting on any new skin care regimen, take a good look at the product's ingredients that you are using. Some brands use harsh chemicals. The best products contain natural ingredients that you can pronounce. They may be more costly, but isn't your skin worth it?