- Fashion and Beauty
1990's Era Lipstick Trend!
Makeup Geek's 90's Lipstick Collection
Do you remember the 1990's?
I am back with another hub for you guys to read. I have to really go back in time with my thoughts and dig a little deeper to remember what makeup was in the 1990's. Yes! I love the 90's, mainly because I grew up in that era. I loved my childhood and have some amazing memories from it! I'll be honest, I did do some research as well to make sure I am on the right track! I remember looking at movie actress's and the bold burgundy lipstick that they used to wear and would think I would follow them one day! Those actresses were so bold, natural yet simple. If you can relate to me then you will like this hub for sure! Let's bring back the 1990's lipstick memories! Happy Reading!
Maybelline Color Sensational Lipcolor
90's Lipstick Trends!
If you go back in time and try to remember all the beautiful actresses that use to wear lipstick, some names that would come in mind are, Jenifer Aniston, Spice Girls, Sarah Michelle, Britney Spears and Jenifer Lopez to name a few. If you look at their 90's pictures, you will see a bold lip liner with a brown lip color filled in. It was a trend and complimented their warm eyeshadows and natural face. Shades like raspberry, browns, mauve, reds, and plums were really famous in the 90's. Below are some shades from various companies starting from drugstore to high end that reminds us of those in the 90's. Please refer below!
Maybelline New York Lip Colors
Maybelline is one of my absolute favourite drugstore products. Their lip colors are very vibrant and match up to the price. The color sensational line is very creamy and has a matte finish. With 8 of the shades available, 4 match the 90's era perfectly. These include Rose, Nude, Maroon and brown.
The Superstay 14HR lipsticks are incredible. They smell good, look good and feel good! The 14HR statement is completely agreeable. It lasts a long time and keep the lips super moisturized. With so many different shades available on the Maybelline site, two of these made it to the 90's era list. Refer Below!
The Color Sensational Lipcolor's are awesome as well. The creamy formula of these lipsticks is made from honey nectar. It has an amazing long last result with a smooth finish.
- Maybelline Color Sensational Rebel Bloom in Rose Rush
- Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Mattes in Darling Nude
- Maybelline Color Sensational The Buffs in Maple Kiss
- Maybelline Color Sensational The Buffs Untainted Spice
- Maybelline Superstay 14HR in Ceaseless Caramel
- Maybelline Superstay 14HR in Till Mauve Do Us Apart
- Maybelline Color Sensational Lipcolor in Plum Perfect
- Maybelline Color Sensational Lipcolor in On the Mauve
- Maybelline Color Sensational Lipcolor in Barely Brown (Shimmer)
- Maybelline Color Sensational Lipcolor in Bronzed (Shimmer)
- Maybelline Color Sensational Lipcolor in Bean There
Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy MattesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Color Statement LipstickClick thumbnail to view full-size
Milani Lipstick in Matte Confident
Milani Statement Moisture Lipsticks
Milani's lipsticks are also very affordable ranging between $5.99 to $7.99 CAD depending on the sale promotion at retail stores. I believe they have lots of 90's color shades in their collection. I wonder if they were inspired by the 90's era? You never know! (laughs). Here is a list of Milani lip colors of the 90's.
- Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipstick in shade 69 Matte Beauty
- Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipstick in shade 71 Matte Flirty
- Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipstick in shade 61 Mattte Naked
- Color Statement Moisture Matte Lipstick in shade 67 Matte Confident
- Color Statement Lipstick in shade 48 Tuscan Toast
- Color Statement Lipstick in shade 50 Velvet Merlot
- Color Statement Lipstick in shade 55 Bahama Beige
- Color Statement Lipstick in shade 42 Rose Femme
- Color Statement Lipstick in shade 08 Ruby Valentine
NYX Cosmetics Creamy Round Lipstick
NYX Extra Creamy Lipsticks (For Colors & Details)
- Extra Creamy Round Lipstick | NYX Cosmetics
Moisturizes lips and provides rich, lasting color.
NYX Cosmetics Creamy Round Lipsticks
There is a wide variety of NYX lipsticks that would also fall under the 90's lip color trend! The difference in this brand is the creamy formula and the shimmer. They are all classic colors with a long lasting effect and smudge proof. These lipsticks have a little bit of scent to them. They are moisturizing and glide on easily. However, you do need two coats to make the color pop because of the shimmer. There was a lot of shimmer in the 90's! Here's a look at those lipsticks.
- Heather-Creamy Pink Mauve
- Perfect-Brown with Red Undertone
- Hope-Plum Red
- Topaz-Frosted Natural Brown
- Honey-Soft Beige
- Darling-Light Copper Beige
- Hayes-Muted Brown Pink
- Heredes-Creamy Natural Beige Brown
- Cocoa-Rich Mauve
Estée Lauder Pure Color Matte Sculpting Lipstick
Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick
Yves Saint Laurent ROUGE PUR COUTURE Lipstick Collection
Urban Decay Matte Revolution Lipstick
Tarte Amazonian Butter Lipstick
High-End Lipsticks for 90's
There are also some high-end lipsticks that are both matte and shimmer that remind us of the 90's as well. These are highly pigmented and last long. You pay a higher price, but you get an amazing quality and finish.
- Estee Lauder Pure Color Matte Sculpting Lipstick - Nude to Brown: It has a cream formula with a matte finish. It glides on smoothly and the lipstick is made at a curve to define the fine shape of the lips. The cover is super classy. The price is $30 US on Sephora's site.
- Kat Von D - Matte Coco Rose: This one is a bold color that has a long lasting color. It is said to have a "velvet-touch comfort". One sweep of this lipstick gives you the perfect finish. It's formula has Vitamin A, C and E. Your lips will feel super moisturized. It does have a scent to it as well. The price is $21 US on Sephora's website.
- Yves Saint Laurent (Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick Collection)-204 Rouge Scandal - Matte Maroon Red: This has more of a satin and matte finish. It has a lot of antioxidants that help make the lips feel moisturize. It is the perfect color for the 90's with the a hint of both red and maroon together. The cost is $36 USA on Sephora's site.
- Urban Decay Matter Revolution Lipstick - Matte Medium Brown: This one is super creamy also. It is very buttery and rich in the formula. It has a matte finish with velvet feel to it. It is also very moisturizing with a blend of Shea butter, oils, and avocado. The pigmentation is intense makin git very bold. The cost is $22 US on Sephora.
- Tarte Amazonian Butter Lipstick - Plummy Rose - Deep Mauve Rose: Another creamy and formula lipstick with lots of moisturizers. Like the name says, it has Amazonian butter in it. It has a creamy shiny finish. The cost is $17 on Sephora's site.
- Bobby Brown Lip Color - Pale Mauve - Light pinky mauve: This one has a soft matte finish. It has Vitamin E and C. It moisturizes the lip. The cost is $27 USA on Sephora.
Voila! This is what my collection would consist of if I had to bring a bunch of amazing 90's lipstick together in the high-end category! These work perfect for the 90's era due to its richness, and pigmentation and boldness.
Bobbi Brown Lip Color
Farah's 90's Makeup Look
Your Favorite 90's Shade?
What 90's shade would you wear today?
Thank You For Reading!
This is all I have for the 90's lipstick! Did you guys notice, the 90's lipstick is the same trend as the fall season today. Any blogs or YouTube channel you see you will see browns and burgundy as the fall season favourite. This is because the trend has come back and everyone just uses it as a fall trend at the moment. I love wearing these colors in the fall as well! They are bold and beautiful. They are different from the regular pinks and red! Let me know what your favourite 90's lipstick color is in the comments below! I love reading comments!
So, then I will talk to you in my next article. Till then be safe!