Top 3 and Best Blackhead Remover Products
What are Blackheads?
Blackheads appear as small, dark bumps on the surface of the skin of the face, back, neck, shoulders, and chest. It is a clogged hair follicle that contains dirt, debris, oil, and other pollutants. Blackheads are one of the most common types of acne, affecting over 50 million people worldwide.
Although it can occur in every age group, blackheads are most common among girls and boys aged 14 to 18. 1 in 5 adolescents will have acne that can progress to facial scarring. While blackheads do not usually pose a health risk, this skin problem can progress to adulthood, which can have long-term effects in confidence and self-esteem.
A blackhead is a type of acne lesion called comedo. There are two types of comedo -- closed and open. Closed comedos are covered by the skin, and are commonly known as whiteheads. Blackheads, on the other hand, are open comedos, as they are on the surface of the skin. Because they are uncovered they are exposed to air, causing a process called oxidation. When comedos are oxidized they turn black, giving it its name.
Blackheads are caused by excess oil production in the sebaceous glands due to puberty, premenstruation, or smoking. Other causes of blackheads include unhealthy diet, poor hygiene, exposure to pollutants, overwashing or overscrubbing, and use of oil-based skin and hair products.
How are Blackheads Treated?
When it comes to managing blackheads, you have two options -- short-term or long-term approach. The short-term approach involves the use of pore-cleansing strips, blackhead masks, and blackhead tools. These products manually remove the blackheads, providing instant relief.
On the other hand, the long-term approach involves the use of skincare products with the aim of addressing the underlying problems. These include excess oil production, skin hygiene, and moisturization and hydration.
In the US alone, over $300 million is spent annually on acne and blackhead removal products. With a broad range of available products, it can be difficult to narrow down your options. Thankfully, this article discusses the top three items recommended for short and long-term removal of blackheads. If you found this article helpful, please share the article in Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest!
Below are the top 3 products for blackhead removal
1. Bioré Pore Strips
Product details: - View on Amazon
Bioré's deep-cleansing pore strips provide an instant solution for blackheads. The strip contains select ingredients that gently removes dirt, oil, sweat, and other pollutants. For just $10 and 10 minutes, it eliminates a week's worth of dirt buildup and blackheads. It prevents blocked pores, acne, and skin irritation. It also removes fine hairs and dead skin cells. Results are visible after first use, and through regular usage, it can also reduce the appearance of pores.
Compared to other brands, a Bioré strip works as a magnet, attracting dirt buildup to the surface, removing blackheads from the root. It uses c-bond technology instead of adhesives to ensure that the skin does not get damaged. The strips are also dermatologist-tested, cruelty-free, oil-free, and vegan.
How to use
This product is affordable, painless, convenient, and easy to use. Listed below is a step-by-step guide on how to use Bioré Pore Strips.
- Before using the strip, wash your face with warm water. Use a mild cleanser and lather gently into your skin. Massage your face in a circular motion. Rinse, then dry off with a towel.
- To open up your pores, use a facial steamer. If you don't have one, you can fill a sink with hot water and position your face over it. Steam for 10-20 minutes.
- Open a packet, twist the strip to loosen it up, and then remove the protective layer.
- The strip does not stick to dry skin, so dampen your nose, chin, or forehead with warm water. Dry your hands, then apply the strip to cover the area, sticky side facing down. Press down and flatten it out with your fingers. Make sure the strip sticks to the corner of your nostrils -- that's where most blackheads are concentrated.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes, or until the strip turns stiff. While waiting, avoid touching the strip, moving your face, or wrinkling your nose.
- Do not remove abruptly; slowly peel it off from top to bottom. If it's difficult to remove, try applying warm water to the area.
- To remove the residue and close the pores, wash your face with cold water. Gently dry off with a towel.
- For best results, use before bedtime. Repeat once a week.
After using Bioré strips, the pores open up, making them vulnerable to infections. The following are the aftercare measures for pore strips.
- After washing with cold water, you can proceed to your usual skincare regimen. Use a purifying toner to thoroughly clean the pores. Dampen a cotton ball with toner, then apply gently to the face.
- Pore strips remove dirt, but it also removes your skin's topmost layer of oil. Use an oil-free moisturizer to hydrate and soothe the skin. Put a coin-sized drop of moisturizer to your palm, then apply to your face in a circular motion. Apply this on your skin before bedtime, and leave until morning.
- Wash off excess moisturizer with an exfoliating gel. If possible, use a cleanser with salicylic and glycolic acid to prevent further breakouts. To use, splash your face with warm water, then lather the gel onto your face. Rinse, then dry off with a towel.
This product is recommended for dry, oily, and normal skin with blackheads. However, it should not be used if you have irritated, sunburnt, excessively dry, or sensitive skin. It is also not recommended for cystic acne and whiteheads.
Keep in mind that pore strips are a short-term solution. Removing blackheads does not solve skin conditions like excessive oiliness. For better results, use with skincare products such as exfoliant peels, hydrating serums, and moisturizing creams.
If used more than once every three days, pore strips can cause skin redness, skin thinning, chafing, abrasion, even allergy. Consult your dermatologist for a long-term blackhead removal solution.
Do not use this product for the following reasons:
- If you're a child aged 16 or lower;
- If you're using retinoid-based skin treatments because they can cause inflammation and further irritation;
- If you have an allergy to any of the listed ingredients;
- If you have an active, inflamed cystic acne;
- If you have spider veins;
- If you have other skin conditions, such as eczema, rosacea, or allergy to cosmetic products.
2. Aztec Secret Healing Indian Clay
Product description: - View on Amazon
The Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay, one of the most popular skincare products in the world, is far from a secret. The Aztec healing clay is made from calcium bentonite clay, and enriched with minerals formed from volcanic ash. It has the following effects:
- Unclogs and shrinks pores
- Decreases oil production
- Draws out deep-seated toxins
- Removes blackheads and whiteheads
- Removes acne and acne marks
- Soothes, softens, and nourishes the skin
- Removes dead skin cells and develops new ones
- Removes imperfections
- Evens skin tone
- Exfoliates the skin
Compared to other masks, the mask is a safe option for all skin types, whether normal, oily, acne-prone, sensitive, or combination. It is one of the least expensive and most effective clay masks on the market. The packaging promises that it is the world's most powerful facial for deep pore cleansing -- and the Aztec Secret Healing Indian Clay delivers.
How to Use
The product is inexpensive, easy to use, and effective. Listed below is a step-by-step guide on how to use the Aztec Secret Healing Indian Clay.
- Before using the Aztec clay, first perform a skin test on your arm to check for allergies and sensitivity. If you do not notice any adverse reaction after five minutes, proceed to the next step.
- In a small bowl, add equal parts Aztec clay and apple cider vinegar. If you have dry skin, add one tablespoon of honey. If you have sensitive skin, use water instead of apple cider vinegar. The mixture can become too thick or clumpy, but as long as it sticks to the skin, it should be okay to use. Stir until thoroughly combined into a smooth paste.
- Using a spatula or a face brush, apply a ¼ inch-thick mixture onto your forehead, nose, cheeks, and chin.
- Leave the clay on your skin for 15-20 minutes. For delicate and sensitive skin, only leave it on for 5 minutes. It's normal to feel stiffening and tightening, even pulsating, as the package disclaims.
- Wash off the mask with warm water, and then pat your face dry with a towel.
- For best results, use before bedtime. Repeat no more than twice a week.
After rinsing off the clay mask, you might notice some redness. This is normal, and it will lessen after a few minutes. The following are the aftercare measures for Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay.
- Wait 30 minutes, or until the redness goes away. Then, using a cotton ball, apply a mild toner to your face.
- If you have dry skin, your face can get red and dry after using this product. To remedy this, use a hydrogel or a bio-cellulose sheet mask. Sheet masks moisturizes, hydrates, and calms the skin. Leave it on for 15-25 minutes, but do not leave it overnight. If you have oily skin, you can skip this step.
- Rinse off the sheet mask. The skin does most of cellular repair and regeneration during sleep; to maximize this, use a moisturizing all-natural night cream. Put a coin-sized amount of the product on your palms, then apply lightly and evenly to your face and neck. Leave it on overnight, then wash off with a gentle face cleanser in the morning.
Before using the Aztec clay mask, here are a few things to remember:
- When mixing the clay mask, do not use a metal bowl or spatula. This will lessen the effectivity of the product. You can use either plastic or wood.
- Washing off the clay mask clogs the sink or shower drain, so make sure to strain the mask bits, then throw it out in the trash.
- If you experience prolonged redness or skin irritation, discontinue use of the product immediately.
- Because of its popularity, there are many imitations of this product. Only purchase Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay from reputable sources.
- Do not use this product with oil-based moisturizers, as they can clog the pores.
3. Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Night Pads Extreme
Product description:- View on Amazon
Nip + Fab's Glycolic Fix Night Pads Extreme is an intensive exfoliant product that solves the blackhead problem from the root. Through chemical exfoliants, it gently cleanses the skin and removes the deepest layers of dirt, grime, oil, and dead skin cells. These night pads contain the following ingredients:
- Glycolic acid: removes the outermost layer of dead skin cells, decreases hyperpigmentation, corrects discoloration, reduces scarring
- Salicylic acid: dissolves skin debris, loosens and unclogs pores, is the recommended treatment for blackheads and whiteheads
- Lactic acid: moisturizes the skin, removes impurities and toxins, evens the skin tone, has anti-aging properties
- Hyaluronic acid: hydrates the skin, increases elasticity and firmness, brightens the complexion, softens and soothes the skin
Compared to other glycolic night pads, Nip + Fab provides the same effect at a cheaper cost. It also has the benefit of being in the Nip + Fab's Glycolic Fix product line, meaning it works best in conjunction with the brand's other products.
How to Use
- Wash your face with warm water, then lather with a hydrating or purifying facial cleanser. Rinse well, then pat dry with a towel.
- Using a night pad, wipe your face and neck.
- In the morning, wash off the pad's residue with a facial cleanser. Dry off, and then apply a thin layer of SPF protection to your face.
- For best results, use before bedtime. Repeat once a week for sensitive skin, two to three times for oily, normal, and combination skin.
Nip + Fab's Glycolic Fix Extreme product range consists of the following products:
- Exfoliant night pads
- Micro-exfoliant scrub: chemically exfoliates the skin through its minerals, and mechanically exfoliates through its texture
- Liquid exfoliator: deep cleanses the skin, removes skin debris, unclogs the pores
- Bubble sheet mask: the charcoal-infused mask attracts skin impurities, blackheads, and whiteheads, leaving the skin purified and hydrated
These products addresses not only blackheads, whiteheads, and acne, but also the holistic health of the skin. The following are the step-by-step measures for Nip + Fab's Glycolic Fix product range.
- Before you start, conduct a skin test for the products you want to use. Apply said product on a small patch of skin. If you do not notice any adverse effects such as itch, redness, abrasion, or inflammation, proceed to the next step.
- Instead of a cleanser, use the 3-in-1 micro-exfoliant scrub. Wash your face with warm water, put a small drop of scrub, then rub it in between your palms. Gently massage the lather onto your face, moving in a firm, circular motion. Rinse well with warm water, then dry off with a towel.
- Dampen a cotton ball with a few drops of liquid exfoliator, then apply to your face and neck. Avoid the eye area.
- Use a night pad to wipe your face and neck.
- Before opening the sheet mask packet, rub the outside to distribute the contents evenly. Wash your hands with soap, dry off, and then proceed to apply the sheet mask to your dry face. Leave for 10-15 minutes, then rinse off the residue with warm water.
- In the morning, apply a thin layer of SPF protection to your face.
Before using any of the Glycolic Fix products, here are a few things to remember:
- Do not use for if you're a child aged 12 or lower.
- Do not use for peeling, irritated, and wounded skin.
- Keep in mind that all products are potent, and should be used with a sunscreen.
- Do not use if you have skin conditions like eczema, rosacea, wounded or irritated skin, or allergy to cosmetic products.
- If you experience any redness, swelling, or irritation, discontinue use of the product immediately.
- Avoid the eye area. In case of contact with the eyes, rinse out with water.
Did You Know?
Although it can be tempting, don't squeeze out your blackheads, especially not using your hands. It does more harm than good - Blackheads are hard to remove, and squeezing can cause a simple blackhead to become a cyst, acne, or nodule. Even if you do manage to remove one blackhead, it will only release more bacteria into surrounding pores. Forceful removal can also cause skin irritation, cystic infection, inflammation, hyperpigmentation, pore enlargement, and in some cases, permanent scarring.
Bioré Pore Strips
The product shows instant results. With regular use, it also has long-term benefits, such as the appearance of smaller, tighter pores.
The product is a short-term solution. For best results, it must be used in conjunction with other skincare products.
Aztec Secret Healing Indian Clay
The product is beneficent to the overall health of the skin, addressing skin problems beyond blackheads. It is a highly-acclaimed short-term and long-term solution for blackhead removal.
A small number of users report that the product is too harsh for dry and sensitive skin.
Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Night Pads Extreme
The product is a chemical exfoliant that belongs to a product line with other skincare necessities that work well together.
The results of the product are not instant, but are visible after consistent use.
The three products listed above are in the same price range, and will only set you back $10-11. All three also have mostly positive reviews in Amazon, are featured in numerous beauty blogs, sites, and magazines, and they live up to their reputation, too.
Pros 1: The first product, the Bioré pore strip, is a quick, painless, and cost-effective short-term solution to blackheads. Through a unique blend of ingredients and advanced technology, Bioré removes blackheads, eliminating dirt, oil, and debris from the root. It shows results after the first use. On the strip, you can see the blackheads removed from your face. You will also notice that after three to four uses, your pores will appear significantly smaller.
Cons 1: Each use of a pore strip removes dirt and oil accumulated in one week. For best results, you'd have to use the product every week, and in conjunction with other skincare products. Pore strips also do not treat the underlying causes of blackheads, which means that the problem is likely to recur.
Pros 2: The second product, the Aztec Secret Healing Indian Clay, is a clay mask that takes care of the holistic health of the skin. It is a long-term solution that addresses problems like blackheads, whiteheads, and acne. The Aztec clay is the most popular skincare products available in the market, and for good reason. Not only is this clay mask cheap and applicable for all skin types, it is also highly-effective and highly-recommended by celebrities and over 16,000 users on Amazon.
Cons 2: Although the Aztec clay mask is suitable for all skin types, a small percentage of users have reported that the product is too harsh for excessively dry and sensitive skin. It is a deep pore cleanser that contains intense ingredients. While it removes oil and dirt from the skin, it can also remove the protective layer of oil and moisture. For best results, perform a skin test first, and use with a moisturizer afterwards.
Pros 3: The third product, the Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Night Pads Extreme, is a face wipe that contains chemical exfoliants effective for deep pore cleansing. The chemicals in these night pads remove deep-seated dirt, oil, and dead skin cells. Nip + Fab is the least expensive and most effective night pad in the market that targets blackheads and other types of acne. It is also a part of a product range designed specifically for intensive skincare.
Cons 3: Compared to other products on the list, the effects of Nip + Fab night pads take longer to be visible. The product is effective nonetheless.
For a short-term solution to blackheads, you should try Bioré pore strip. It is more effective than other pore strips on the market, even at a low price. It is also less damaging than other manual blackhead removal methods, like blackhead mask and extraction tools.
If you prefer a long-term solution to blackheads, you should try the Aztec Secret Healing Indian Clay or the Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Night Pads Extreme. The Aztec is effective for most people in eliminating blackheads. But if the Aztec clay mask is too intense for you, try the Nip + Fab night pads. It is a much gentler product with the same effects.