5 Steps to a Successful Skincare Routine
Skincare is Not Optional
Skincare versus Glamour
Some people believe glamour products or makeup are the most important part of looking fresh faced and having good skin. I do absolutely disagree. As a matter of fact, I believe it is just the opposite. Skincare is much more important than glamour for long term, good skin. I believe everyone should have a daily skincare regime and it neither has to be expensive or time consuming. Consistency is the key.
The products may differ; however, the routine is the same both morning and night. Although, during the hot summer months because we sweat and spend lots of time outdoors, I suggest you cleanse, tone and moisturize at least three times a day instead of the generally recommended two times per day. Clean skin is the key to good skin.
I also recommend a scrub twice a week, and an at home facial mask once a week and if you can fit it into your budget, a professional facial quarterly. Also, it is important to find an age appropriate skin care line that works for your skin type. And…drum roll please…the key is consistency so stick with it. Most product lines have a catalogue of products for all ages and skin types and for reasonable prices.
I want to reiterate that good skincare does not have to cost a fortune. It just needs to be age and skin type appropriate. Another myth that needs to be exposed is that oily skin does not need moisture. This is such a myth and absolutely not true! All skin types need moisture and there is a difference between moisture and oil. If you have oily skin do moisturize, just be sure to use moisturizers that are especially made for oily skin.
Choose an Age and Skin Appropriate Skincare Line
Skin Care Routine – Morning:
- use your fingers to massage the cleanser into the skin in a circular motion
- be gentle around the eye area – do not pull or tug the sensitive eye in this area (it easily wrinkles)
- rinse with warm water first and then cold water(the cold water will close the pores)
- use a clean damp washcloth everyday to pat your face dry. Do not use the same bath cloth that you use for your body on your face (I change my facial cloth daily)
- do not skip this step
- after cleansing your skin, chances are your pH balance is off and toning your skin will help to reset your pH balance
- use a cotton swap or cotton circle to go over your skin with the toner
- avoid the sensitive under eye area during this process
- once the toner has been applied, wait until your skin is completely dry before continuing with the process
- apply your moisturizer with your fingers in an upward, circular motion
- be careful around the sensitive eye area
- tip - only use your ring finger to apply moisturizer around the eye area
- the ring finger will apply the least amount of pressure
- if you use a separate eye cream or serum, apply it now remember to use the ring finger
That is the morning regime. The entire routine can be completed in 10 minutes.
Skin Care Routine – Evening:
Follow the first 3 steps from the morning routine (cleanse, tone, moisturize)
- The only difference is if you are like me, you use a lighter moisturizer during the day than you use as your nighttime moisturizer
- On Tuesday and Thursday evenings I also use a gentle skin scrub/exfoliation between the cleanse and tone steps
- On Sunday evenings I add a deep cleansing facial mask between the cleanse and tone steps
That is the evening regime. The entire routine can be completed in 10 minutes except for Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays when you add the extra step of the scrub or the deep cleanse facial. You will still only need to spend approximately 20 – 25 minutes from start to finish. Your skin is worth it, don’t you think?
Skincare before Glamour
Try to Remain In The Know Of Skincare Trends
Science continues to enhance skincare, and now skincare gurus suggest the following:
- Use a facial moisturizer with retinol and sunscreen
- retinol – reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles
- sunscreen – protects your skins against sun damage
- Use an eye cream with antioxidants
- antioxidants – chemicals that prevent or slow cell damage
Try this routine for one month and I guarantee positive results if you choose the right products for your skin type and consistently use them.
Until next time…here’s to your good skin