- Fashion and Beauty»
- Skin Care»
- Facial Skin Care»
- Acne, Pimples & Blackheads
6 Ways to Cure Acne With Natural Ingredients Found in Your Kitchen
Behind the Scenes with Acne
Acne comes in many forms, including dry red skin, blackheads, whiteheads, large papules, and in extreme cases, scarring. It commonly shows up during puberty, as hormones in the body rise, but it can come on at any time. Acne is most notables recognized on the face, but it can occur all over the body, including the chest and back.
Common over the counter treatments include benzoyl peroxide, topical ointments, antibiotics in pill form and salicylic acid. While many people have seen positive results with these commercial products, many people have a negative response to these chemicals. For instance, benzoyl peroxide can irritate sensitive skin and cause it to become red, dry, and flakey. Users might notice a burning sensation and the urge to scratch their face.
For me, there was only one commercial product that worked, and it cost me close to $30 a month. Yes, at the time it was worth it, but as time progressed, so did my life, and so did the bills. I had to cancel my subscription and try drugstore facial washes, but I had no luck. I ended up with a painful red face, and I still had acne. So, I applied my healthy eating habits to my skincare, literally. And, wah-la, it seems that natural, cheaper products can help clear my skin as well as a very expensive acne treatment.
Honey is more than just a delicious, healthy treat. It is one of the world's greatest creations. It is is used in detoxes, facial masks, and recipes. Honey contains natural antibiotics that help fight acne. It is also very sticky, giving it the ability to pull dirt and oil from your pores. All you need is some raw honey and if you choose, cinnamon. Cinnamon is also a common ingredient in natural beauty recipes.
- Steam your face with a damp warm towel for a few minutes before applying the honey (This helps open up your pores)
- Put two tablespoons of honey in a microwave safe bowl
- Microwave the honey in five second increments. You do not want it to be hot, as it will destroy the natural properties found in raw honey, and also because it could burn your skin. Just make it warm
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the honey and mix thoroughly
- Apply the mixture to your entire face and let sit for 10-15 minutes
- Wash off with washcloth and warm water
Now you have brighter, softer, sweet smelling skin. I don't recommend doing this daily or even every other day because raw honey can be kind of pricey. I use this mixture on my face once a week, usually in the morning, as the cinnamon brightens skin and wakes your face up.
Quick Crazy Pimple Tip
Although it isn't found in your kitchen, toothpaste can do wonders if you need to spot treat. Before bed, put a small dab of toothpaste on your pimple(s) and let dry. Go to bed and wake up the next morning to a shrunken pimple and less redness.
Do not use this method before going on a date, because you will have a warm Italian kitchen fragrance for a little while. This is more of a "before-bed" treatment. Garlic has natural antiseptic properties that fight and kill bacteria. So, again, steam your face with a warm wash cloth before beginning this process so that your pores are open and ready to be cleaned.
- Finely mince 3-4 cloves of garlic and mix with a small amount of warm water. It should resemble a paste.
- Cover your face with the mixture and leave it set for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse your face with warm water.
I know, I know, you can't bare the smell of garlic any longer. But on a positive note, you won't get attacked by vampires tonight. If you must, wash your face with a gentle face scrub afterwards to help remove the scent.
3. Diluted Lemon Juice
Lemon juice contains glycolic acid, which is known to exfoliate the skin. So, for a cheap and refreshing skin treatment, go get yourself a lemon and make some magic. Because lemons contain glycolic acid there is a chance that this will dry out your skin. I recommend buying a oil free hydrating cream if you want to use this treatment regularly. On a more positive note, lemon juice will make your skin brighten up, any dark spots will fade, and say goodbye to pesky acne.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon into a bowl
- Dilute with warm water to 2 parts lemon juice, one part water
- Use a cotton pad or clean wash cloth to apply the juice to your face
- Allow juice to stay on your face for 15 minutes before rinsing with warm water
This is another treatment that I would not recommend daily or even more than once a week. Because of the acid, overuse could cause your skin to become dry and irritated.
4. Baking Soda
This is best done before a shower or bath and is mostly recommended for a body treatment because it can be harsh on the skin due to the alkalinity. It does work, however, and if you want to have beautiful, clear shoulders for summer, I do recommend trying this once every two weeks or so.
- Make a paste out of baking soda and water. Depending on how much area you have to cover will depend on the amount. Just make sure it is thick enough to stick to your body and not slide off.
- Rub the paste over your shoulders and chest, do not scrub. If you can reach your back, apply it there also.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes max (this is just an estimated time. I have never left it on longer than this)
- Get in the shower or bath and gently rinse off the mixture.
5. Green Tea
Green tea is right up there with honey when it comes to healthy, beautiful benefits. There are many ways to apply green tea to your face, but my personal favorite is quick and simple. All you need is a green tea bag. This can be done as often as you like. Green tea makes your skin feel rejuvenated and fresh.
- Run a green tea bag under hot water for 15-30 seconds
- Squeeze most of the water from the bag, leaving enough that it is still damp
- Rub the bag across your face for 2 minutes
- You don't even have to rinse this stuff off
Does this make up for the garlic? Green tea smells good, feels good, and leaves you with an incredible glow that will have all your girlfriends wondering what product you are using.
Which Method are You Looking Forward to Most
Who knew that something so delicious could help lead the way to clear skin? Strawberries help soften the skin, reduce pores, build collagen for less noticeable wrinkles, and they fight acne. And the best part is, you get to bite the strawberry before hand.
- Bite or cut strawberry in half
- Take the remaining half and rub the flesh of the strawberry all over your face
- Let the juice set on your face for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
Again, this makes up for the garlic? Now you smell like a warm summer day and look like one too. Cheesy, but give it a try and you will be singing the same happy song. Because this lovely fruit helps soften the skin, you can use this treatment method as much as you like.
There is Always a Natural Remedy
I have learned that no matter what kind of beauty or health predicament I'm in, usually there is a natural remedy. From face scrubs, to detoxes, to homemade cleaning agents, something natural always kicks the commercial product's butt. And they are safe to have around the house, even with kids, and typically much MUCH cheaper.
For great Natural Facial Recipes, check out this article