7 Best Shampoos for Dry Scalp
When you are fighting a dry, itchy scalp, it’s very important that you wash with a gentle shampoo. Products loaded with sulfates and harsh chemicals not only exacerbate dry, Itchy scalp condition but often are the cause of it.
This articles lists the gentlest shampoos that have been designed to help relieve dry scalp. All of them are free of sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate.
1.Majestic Pure Argan Oil Shampoo
Average Price=$13 for 16oz.
Majestic Pure Argan oil shampoo is an all-natural shampoo. The ingredient list is very short because it’s free of many nasty chemicals and additives. But the ingredients that it does has, are quality.
Infused with six different natural oils (Argan oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, camellia seed oil, coconut oil and almond oil) the shampoo is deeply nourishing and moisturizing. If you hair is dry or your scalp is so dry that it itches. This shampoo can moisturize it well.
Do not think that just because it is rich in oils it will weigh your hair down. It does not!
The shampoo leaves hair clean and scalp itch free. Washing your hair with Majestic Pure Argan Oil shampoo is actually a very refreshing experience. You really feel like you are pampering your hair with something that is truly natural and healthy.
You almost don’t need a conditioner with this shampoo. But using the matching conditioner will get you better results.
- Actually does condition as it shampoos.
- Hydrates hair and scalp well.
- Rich in natural oils like Argan oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, camellia seed oil, coconut oil and almond oil.
- Tames frizz.
- Cruelty free.
- The shampoo cleans hair well and does not leave it in tangles.
- Comes with a money back guarantee.
- Color safe shampoo.
- Good for dry, damaged hair.
- White in color therefore making it appropriate for grey hair and will not stain it.
- You may not like the scent which is strong and more on the masculine side.
- It doesn't lather like the shampoo you're likely used to. The first washing will barely lather but the second washing nicely lathers up.
- You may experience some build up if you use it every day like a regular shampoo. Try and space it out a couple of times a week.
- There is room for improvement with the pump supplied with the product.
2.Maple Holistic Hydrate shampoo
Maple Holistics Hydrate shampoo is a classic treatment for hydration and nourishment of thirsty hair and scalp. It effectively balances sebum secretion, soothes scalp and moisturizes hair. Rich in carotene which keeps hair well-conditioned while jojoba and almond oil help to smooth hair and calm dry, irritated scalp.
Truly a sulfate free shampoo, it’s also free of parabens and silicones. This hypoallergenic shampoo is what your itchy, dry scalp needs. By moisturizing scalp it prevents hair loss, dryness, itchiness and flakes. It has strong herbaly, earthy scent. Thankfully, the smell does not linger.
Do not just apply this shampoo with your hands, if you are trying to get rid of dry itchy scalp, purchase a plastic brush with small rubber or plastic bristles to stimulate the scalp and really work the shampoo into your scalp. This will help get rid of itchy, dry scalp quickly. The brush helps massage the scalp, distribute shampoo evenly and most importantly, scrub away scales and left over shampoo.
You have to use Maple Holistics Hydrate Shampoo several times before it really starts to work. It's important to lather a small amount into your hair and let it sit on your scalp for a few minutes before you rinse it off. If you just shampoo and wash out quickly, it won’t be as effective.
- Soothes and calms dry, itchy scalp.
- Helps prevent hair damage, split ends and hair loss.
- Sulfate free.
- Rich in natural oils, vitamins and anti-oxidants.
- Paraben free.
- Silicone free.
- Suitable for dry hair and scalp.
- Lathers well.
- Cleans without stripping hair and scalp of its natural oils.
- Cruelty free.
- Great customer service.
- Everyone’s hair is different and reacts differently to a shampoo. If the shampoo increases the dryness and frizziness of your hair DO follow with a good conditioner.silk18 conditioner by Maple Holistic pairs well with this shampoo. This conditioner is a blend of 18 different amino acids to deliver silky softness to hair and assure moisture retention.
- The bottle is small and expensive. And if you have thick hair you might go through this fast.
- The shampoo takes time to make difference in your scalp and hair health.
- Product is really thick and difficult to apply. Diluting it with water might help.
- May strip hair color.
- The scent is strong and you may find it unpleasant.
3.Tree to Tub Organic Soapberry Raw unscented Shampoo
Average Price=$19 for 11oz.
It’s so hard to find an unscented shampoo and add on the desire for an all-natural hydrating shampoo and most of the big companies cannot deliver.
A blend of finest botanicals like Wild Soapberry, Olive Leaf, Aloe Vera and Gotu Kola, Tree to Tub Organic Soapberry Raw unscented shampoo is an all-natural pH balanced, fragrance free, hydrating shampoo. It’s especially suitable for those looking for a shampoo to moisturize their hair and scalp.
The primary ingredient is organic soapberry that has been used since ancient times in Ayurvedic medicine to gently cleanse irritated, dry skin. Its natural lather is pH balanced and perfect for human body.The shampoo cleanses gently and dissolves oils without over drying your scalp and hair.
Tree to Tub Organic Soapberry Raw unscented Shampoo is perfect for those who are sensitive to shampoos with essential oils and other fragrances.so if you are allergic to a lot of scented hair products, do try it.
You may not need a conditioner with this shampoo because it leaves hair clean, hydrated and tangle free. It comes with a soapberry which you can plant.
- Free of SLS.
- Excellent customer service.
- Free of parabens.
- Moisturizes dry and itchy patches on scalp.
- Free of perfumes and dyes.
- Naturally anti-bacterial, anti-fungal shampoo that cleanses really well.
- Lathers well.
- Free of silicones.
- pH balanced shampoo.
- Good for those with psoriasis.
- The shampoo strengthens hair and soothes dry irritated scalp.
- The shampoo is drying if you use it frequently and they do not offer a fragrance free conditioner with this. Avoid using it more than 3-4 times a week.
- The shampoo has less lather than conventional shampoos.so you might end up using more for more lather.
- It’s expensive and comes in a small bottle.
4.Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Shampoo
Average Price=$11for 8.5 oz.
Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Shampoo is a gentle but effective cleanser. Free of sulfate and parabens, it is a healing blend of different essential oils like tea tree, Rosemary, Eucalyptus and peppermint.
Tea tree oil is very effective at removing grease and product build up. Besides being a good anti-microbial agent, It has been known to regulate scalp sebum secretion levels. So if your scalp is dry and itchy, the shampoo will help calm it.
Washing hair with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo on hot days feels really refreshing. The peppermint in the shampoo tingles the scalp and gives a delightful cooling sensation. Thus the shampoo increases blood circulation to the scalp and helps promote hair growth.
So you're getting a soothed, clean scalp and stimulating natural hair growth in one shampoo bottle.
- Organic tea tree botanicals alleviate dry flaky scalp.
- The price is reasonable.
- Sulfate free.
- No harsh ingredients.
- Stimulates scalp circulation for refreshed feel.
- For a sulfate free shampoo, it lathers and cleanses well.
- No artificial fragrance.
- The blend of essential oils condition, soothe and clarify the scalp.
- Color safe shampoo
- Cruelty free.
- Safe to use after Brazilian blow out.
- Paraben free.
- Leaves hair very clean.
- The texture is a bit runny and the opening pours so it can be easy to get too much.
- The shampoo is not very moisturizing to hair. Those who have dry or brittle hair should follow with a heavier conditioner or use a leave in conditioner.
- The natural ingredients may cause an allergic reaction in some people.
- The rectangle shaped packaging is awkward and it’s not easy to get out the product with the lid in the way.
- The shampoo has tea tree and menthol scent and no additives to sweeten it.But the scent doesn't linger.
- As the shampoo is free of sulfates and harsh surfactants, it might not lather as much but the second time when most dirt has been removed it will lather well.
5.Maple Holistic Sage shampoo
Average Price=$9 for 8 oz.
Maple Holistic Sage Shampoo is an all-natural, hypo-allergenic, color safe shampoo for dry scalp.
Sage is the primary ingredient in the shampoo. Sage is known for its antiseptic and anti-inflammation properties. It helps prevent clogged hair follicles and reduces dandruff. Besides reducing inflammation and adding shine and luster to hair, Sage also helps combat hair loss and baldness.
Besides sage it has other wonderful ingredients like spikenard, botanical keratin, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, rosemary, and peach kernel extract. Tea tree oil is famous for having powerful antimicrobial properties and it balances scalp sebum secretion levels. Spikenard promotes hair growth while Jojoba and Argan oil are great at moisturizing hair and scalp. The shampoo will leave your hair clean and scalp itch free.
Maple Holistic Sage shampoo is an effective shampoo for dry scalp and mild cases of dandruff but those who have moderate to severe dandruff might not find it very effective.
- Entirely free of sulfates.
- Helps reduce dandruff
- The scent is strong but it’s not unpleasant.
- Paraben free.
- Good for dry,itchy scalp.
- Cruelty free.
- Rich in nourishing essential oils.
- Hydrates hair and scalp really well.
- Gentle on color treated hair.
- Vegan friendly.
- Those who are very sensitive to fragrances should proceed with caution.
- Scalp problems may return as soon as you stop its use.
- The shampoo won’t help much if you have severe dandruff. It’s suitable mostly for those who have mild dandruff.
- The bottle is small and expensive.
6.Shea Moisture's African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo
Average Price=$10 for 13 oz.
Especially designed to treat dry, itchy and flaky scalp Shea Moisture’s African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo is a homeopathic remedy that provides natural solution to the problem of scalp itching, dryness and dandruff.
The main active ingredients is lemon balm( Melissa Officinalis) which is an effective anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial agent. Besides Melissa Officinalis there are some other healing natural ingredients present like tea tree oil, willow bark extract and shea butter.
Willow bark extract is good at exfoliating and detoxifying scalp. Tea tree oil removes grease and regulates sebum secretion and Shea butter hydrates hair and scalp.
The shampoo is entirely sulfate free so it might not lather much. To get nice lather, transfer the shampoo to a squeeze tip bottle .Wet your hair thoroughly and divide the hair into sections. Apply this to one section at a time. This is will help you get good lather.
Shea Moisture's African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo is an effective product for dry scalp especially If your itch and dryness has been caused by using products loaded with sulfates and nasty chemicals.
- Especially designed for dry, itchy scalp.
- Eases dandruff.
- Paraben free.
- Entirely Sulfate free.
- An all-natural shampoo.
- Natural and certified organic ingredients nourish and soothe the scalp
- Melissa Officinalis (the primary active ingredient) help moisturize the scalp and kill bacteria.
- Regulates scalp sebum secretion levels.
- An excellent deep cleanser; removes all the product buildup and grease.
- Cruelty free
- The scent is quite strong and medicinal but it doesn't linger after you rinse out the shampoo.
- You may find that the shampoo is harsh on your color treated hair.
- It’s not very moisturizing to hair so it is necessary to follow up with a good conditioner.
- This is a deep cleansing shampoo that should not be used daily or frequently. However, Everyone’s hair is different and reacts differently to a shampoo. To be on the safe side do not use it more than once or twice a week and always follow with a good conditioner.
7.Honeyskin Hair and Scalp Therapy Shampoo
Average Price=$10 for 4 oz.
Honeyskin Hair and Scalp Therapy Shampoo is an organic, pH balanced shampoo designed for sensitive, itchy, dry scalp.
Aloe Vera gel is the primary ingredient in the shampoo which soothes scalp irritation and nourishes hair .Besides Aloe Vera it contains Manuka Honey(a type of medicinal honey) to help detoxify your scalp and provide relief from dandruff and itchiness. Also in the mix is present Cehami, an Australian botanical which reduces redness, itching and inflammation and stimulates hair growth.
Honeyskin Hair and Scalp Therapy Shampoo is pH balanced to protect both scalp and hair and restore them to their proper moisture level. The brand claims that shampoo is so gentle that it can be used on a baby’s scalp.
- Paraben Free.
- Gluten Free.
- Gentle anti flake shampoo that will cleanse and soothe the scalp.
- pH balanced(5.5) color safe shampoo.
- Sulfate Free.
- Aloe Vera and Manuka Honey clarify and repair damaged skin
- 60 day money back guarantee.
- Gentle but effective shampoo.
- Used with the conditioner, it has left my hair soft, shiny, and fuller looking.
- It suds just a little bit.
- Shampoo is very watery which makes it hard to use.
- You may not like its scent.