90 Fashion Trends of the 90s
Before We Reveal the Top 90 Fashion Trends of the 90's, Let's Take a Look at 1990's Fashion and Why it is So Cool!
1990's fashion started late, as the 80's lingered well into the early 90's... but when it gained ground, it began, in some ways, as a rebellion against the overblown looks of the 1980's. Minimal makeup, natural or even ill-kept hair, ripped jeans, baggy clothes, and lots and lots of flannel took over. But the 1990's soon gave way to so much more; it became a true time of fashion freedom and expression. From street looks to goth looks to the retro looks of flower children to futuristic pop-star and naughty school girls looks, people were pretty unique in the 90's. So, in a way, this list was really difficult to write, because there are just so many iconic fashions from the 1990's. So, if I miss any of your favorites, please let me know in the comments section at the end of the list.
1998 - Britney Spears Began Her Reign as The Princess of Pop and a Major 90's Fashion Icon
The 1990's - The Most Comfortable Era of Fashion?
More about "The Rachel"
90's Fashion Icon Gwen Stefani with her band No Doubt
Get Ready to go Retro!
It is almost weird to think of the 90's as "retro" for this writer, as the 1990's perpetually feel like just a few years ago to me (which is obviously not the case); but I lived my elementary, tween and a portion of my teen years in the 90's, after all, so I experienced in full force the years of 80's fashion hangovers, rebellion against 80's fashion, the grunge movement, the "preppy" look, flower child revivals, raver culture, hip hop culture, goth nation, the idolization of "supermodels," the major entertainment industry influence in everyday fashion, an acceptance of street wear & not trying so hard, global influence, the internet, & yes... Jennifer Aniston's famous (or infamous) haircut: "The Rachel." So, it doesn't seem so "retro" to me, especially as my closet is actually still full of 90's fashions and I myself still wear many of these looks...
But I think I can understand how it would feel "retro" for others. Actually, it is probably much like in the 1990's when we were all pulling out iconic looks from the 1960's and 1970's. Only I now feel as they did then. (No, not old. Well... maybe a little.)
"Retro" or not, there is "No Doubt" (get it?) that 90's fashion is still influencing fashion today.
But what influenced fashion in the 1990's?
Fashion Icons: Posh Spice, Ginger Spice, Baby Spice, Sporty Spice, and Scary Spice!
Major Fashion Influences of the 1990s:
- Supermodels such as Kate Moss, Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista, Naomi Campbell, Claudia Schiffer, Helena Christensen, Christy Turlington, Heidi Klum, Tyson Beckford, Tyra Banks, and Jason Lewis
- Entertainers / Celebrities such as Winona Ryder, Drew Barrymore, Liv Tyler, Gwen Stefani, Selena, Johnny Depp, Princess Diana, Madonna, Reba McEntire, Mariah Carey, Courtney Love, Kurt Cobain, Britney Spears, The Spice Girls, Shania Twain, TLC, Tupac Shakur, Jennifer Aniston, Neve Campbell, Nicole Kidman, Christina Ricci, Marky Mark, MC Hammer, Will Smith, Pamela Anderson, Jenny McCarthy, Brad Pitt, Gwenyth Paltrow, Claire Danes, Lisa Bonet, Shirley Manson, Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, Will Smith, Melissa Joan Hart, Sandra Bullock, Leonardo DiCaprio, Rider Strong, Jonathan Taylor Thomas, Keri Russell, Sarah Michelle Geller, and RuPaul.
- TV shows such as: "Friends," "Blossom," "Beverly Hills: 90210," "Moesha," "Full House," "Boy Meets World," "Married with Children," "My So Called Life," "Party of Five," "Living Single," "Saved by the Bell," "Sister, Sister," "Home Improvement," "The Nanny," "Mad About You," "Dawson's Creek," "Daria," "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," "Murphy Brown," "Melrose Place," "Twin Peaks," "Felicity," "Martin," "Clueless," "Ally McBeal," "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Charmed," "Will and Grace," "That 70's Show," and "Sex and the City."
- Movies such as "Empire Records," "Reality Bites," "Clueless," "Dazed and Confused," "Thelma and Louise," "Pretty Woman," "The Craft," "Tank Girl," "Practical Magic," "10 Things I Hate About You," "Pulp Fiction," "Jawbreaker," "Cruel Intentions," "Ghost," "As Good as it Gets," "The Bodyguard," "The First Wives Club," "Waiting to Exhale," "She's All That," "Hope Floats," "Sabrina," "The Crow," "Soul Food," "Point Break," "The Faculty," "French Kiss," "How Stella Got Her Groove Back," "Out of Sight," "Now and Then," "Boogie Nights," "That Thing You Do," "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar," "Selena," "The Truth About Cats and Dogs," "Poetic Justice," "Can't Hardly Wait," "Benny and Joon," "Fried Green Tomatoes," "Sense and Sensibility," "Emma," "The Matrix," "Titanic," "Stealing Beauty," "Poison Ivy," "Hackers," "Before Sunrise," "Go," "Mallrats," "Boogie Nights," "Playing by Heart," and "Spice World."
- Musical Genres such as Grunge, Hip Hop, Punk, Metal, Emo, Alternative, EDM, R&B, World, and Pop (As well as a huge surge in the number of female singers/songwriters)
- Rave Culture / Skater Culture / Goth or Punk-Goth Culture / Country or "Cowboy" Culture
- Hippie fashion / Beatnik fashion / 1960's, 1970's, and 1980's fashion
- Lilith Fair
- "Rent" (Broadway show)
- Fashion magazines
- The Internet
- Personal Expression / Friends / Family
Time for those 90's Fashions!
Now that you know a bit more about 1990's fashion and what influenced it, we can now explore 90 fashion trends of the 90's!
These are in no particular order, because how do you really rate and rank freedom of expression, fashion, and art?
That being said, if you feel it is possible, and want to rank them yourself and share your ranked list in the comments, feel free to do so.
For now, please enjoy 90 Fashion Trends from the 90's!
-------------------- 90 Fashion Trends of the 90's --------------------
- The Use of Symbols / Animals in Clothing and Jewelry Design (peace signs, Yin/Yang, smiley faces, Ankhs, butterflies, stars, unicorns, horses, wolves, eagles, and dolphins)
- Fanny Packs
- Snap Bracelets
- Crop Tops
- Spaghetti Straps (dresses, tank tops, etc.)
- Scrunchies (in the hair or on the wrist)
- Combat Boots / Doc Martens
- Low Rise, Flare Leg Jeans
- Babydoll T-shirts (sometimes layered with spaghetti strap tank tops)
- Mini Skirts and Mini Dresses
- Jean Jackets
- Hoop Earrings
- Ripped Jeans (self-made or store bought)
- Platform Shoes and/or Thick Soled Shoes
- Sandals and Flipflops (jellies, Birkenstocks, Adidas...)
- Rolled/Cuffed Jean Shorts
- Track Pants
- Cargo Pants
- Velvet (dresses, shirts, pants, scrunchies, etc.)
- Butterfly Hair Clips
- Chain Wallets
- Backwards Baseball Caps
- Wide Leg Jeans (like JNCO...)
- Converse Sneakers
- Leather (or Pleather) Biker Jackets
- Floral Skater Dresses
- Glitter - Lots and Lots of Glitter
- Black Nail Polish
- Maxi Skirts
- Jelly Bracelets
- Mood Rings
- Biker Shorts
- Mary Jane Shoes
- Bucket Hats
- Buttons / Pins / Brooches
- Friendship Bracelets and Necklaces
- "Granny" Sweaters (vintage sweaters, usually long, with pockets...)
- Black Eyeliner (on all sexes and genders)
- Wine / Berry / Burgundy Lipstick
- COOGI Sweaters
- Bustier Tops (think: Selena)
- Tube Tops
- Skater Shoes
- Tie Dye
- Images of Tweety Bird, Betty Boop, Cathy, Marilyn Monroe, and Audrey Hepburn
- Baggy EVERYTHING
- Body Conscious Dresses
- Layering Jewelry
- Matching Tops and Bottoms
- Mixing Flannels and Florals
- Belly Rings, Eyebrow Rings, and Tongue Piercings
- Ballet Flats
- Halter Tops
- Sports Bras Worn as Tops
- Vintage Band T-Shirts
- Animal Prints
- Tinted Sunglasses
- The "Sexy School Girl" Look
- Capri Pants
- White Canvas Shoes
- Pop Can Tabs Tied to Shoelaces
- Pukka Shell Necklaces
- Knee High Boots / Go-Go Boots
- Tailored Pant Suits
- The "Little Black Dress"
- Black Nylons and Black Fishnet Tights
- "Stonewashed" Jeans
- Pashminas / Wraps / Ponchos
- Trench Coats
- Popcorn Shirts (the tiny shirts that look like doll clothing, but stretch...)
- Polo Shirts
- Ski Goggles
- Lip Gloss (especially LipSmackers)
- The "Smokey Eye"
- Peasant Tops
- Every Crazy Hairstyle Under the Sun
- Hair Through History: 11 Trendy Hairstyles of the 1990's | Beauty Launchpad
- 90s Hairstyles We Thought Were Absolutely Cool
- Best 90's Hairstyles We Loved
- The 19 Most Important Hairstyles Of The 90s
- The 15 Most Important Men's Hairstyles Of The '90s
- 11 Black Hairstyles From the '90s That We Will Never Forget
- The 16 most 90s Hairstyles - Metro News
- 20+ Best 90s Hairstyles For Men - Back to the Future
- '90s Hair Styles | Cuts, Colors, Updos, & Accessories | Babble
- '90s Hairstyles Female Celebrities Wore in the 1990s | Teen.com
A Few More 90's Fashion Trends that Didn't Quite Make the List
- The Importance / Status of the Brand Name (TOMMY, JNCO, Starter Jackets, Vans, Adidas, Old Navy, etc. / Brand Names on T-shirts, embroidered on jeans, on hats, jackets, purses, backpacks, etc.)
- Cotton Candy Pink Hair
- Hair Dyed with Kool-Aid
- Spikes (on necklaces, collars, belts, etc.)
- Cowboy Hats and Cowboy Boots
- Soccer Socks
- "Wife Beater" Tank Tops
- Razor Back Sports Tank Tops
- Jeans from Head to Toe
- Khaki Pants and Shorts
- Jean Skirts
- Backwards Pants
- Chopsticks in the Hair
- Bindis on Westerners (think: Gwen Stefani)
- "Mom" Jeans
- Stirrup Pants
- Leotards with Jeans
- Fingerless Gloves
- Thick Tights / Leggings / Stirrup Pants Worn Under Skirts, Dresses, and Shorts
- Messy Ponytails, Braids, and Buns
- Beach Hair / Bed Head
- Long Sweaters Worn as Dresses
- Varying Thickness in Neckties
- Crimped and Permed Hair
- Embracing Natural Texture in Hair
Drew Barrymore - 90's Fashion Icon
Do You Love 90's Fashion?
Are you a fan of these 90 fashion trends of the 1990's?
Did I miss any of your favorite 90's fashion trends?
The 1990's were such an amazing time for fashion and self-expression, so I know that there is a chance that I, in fact, missed some of your very favorite 90's trends.
If I did, please let me know which ones in the comments below!
And if there are a few 90's trends that you are just DYING to bring back, let me know those too! (For me, personally, it's all about crop tops, jean jackets, chokers, and... who am I kidding... I love it all! Well, except maybe the whole "backwards pants" thing...)
I do hope you enjoyed this list of 90 fashion trends of the 90's. I look forward to your feedback and to seeing these trends on the streets!
For now though, "I'm outtie."