About Sunglasses And What Are Some Important Points In Choosing The Right One?
This word conjures up images of people, across all age groups, social strata and nationalities, wearing a variety of sunglasses, from the simplest to the trendiest.
Sunglasses never go out of fashion. In fact, fashion and sunglasses are a very unique combination newer designs are seen in both, all the time. Today's generation goes for the looks of these sunglasses.
Sunglasses basically serve 2 purposes.
- They protect the eyes from the harmful UV rays.
- They proclaim the wearer's style statement as it is also worn as a fashion accessory.
Sunglasses are worn for a variety of other reasons too.
- To avoid eye contact.
- To hide one's emotions.
- To hide abnormal eye appearance as in the blind.
- To hide many disease conditions affecting the eyes like conjunctivitis, black eye etc.
- To hide eye movements especially in games like poker.
Additionally, sunglasses boost one's self confidence and personality, in many cases.
Why Do We Need To Protect The Eyes From UV Rays?
Ultra violet rays are one of the causative factors for developing cataract and other vision problems.
In addition, the high energy visible (HEV) radiations or blue light, are absorbed deep into the eyes causing retinal damage and macular degeneration. Also, sunglasses dilate the pupils so it is absolutely imperative that one goes for sunglasses whose lenses absorb 100% of UV radiation.
Poly carbonate lenses absorb 100% UV rays. Polaroid sunglasses are another. Always buy lenses or sunglasses of reputed brands to be sure that they are 100% UV absorbing.
Even if you are wearing a large hat but are out in the sun, you need sunglasses because UV radiation can be reflected by the water, road, sandy beaches, car windshield glass, etc. Snow and windshield glass can throw back almost double the intensity of UV rays.
An optician or an ophthalmologist can evaluate the level of UV and visible light radiation that the sunglasses block by using a spectrophotometer.
Bronze, copper or reddish brown colored lenses block blue light or HEV rays. To enable more protection from the sides of the sunglasses prefer a frame with a thicker temple or a wrap around type of frame.
Sunglasses For Kids
Sunglasses are in fact more necessary for kids for the following reasons.
- Our eyes get 80% of their total UV exposure by age 18. So it is never too early for kids to start wearing sunglasses.
- Kids spend much more time outdoors than most of the adults.
- The eyes of children are more sensitive to UV radiation and blue light.
- In tropical areas, at high altitudes and in environments where light is highly reflected, like sandy beaches, water, snow etc, sunglasses become all the more important for children, because of the increased UV radiation.
Different Types Of Lenses And Their Benefits
- Blue Light Blockers
Such lenses block the HEV rays or blue light. They are usually amber colored. It is believed that HEV radiation is harmful to eyes.
- Polaroid Lenses
The block the horizontal glare coming from water, the road surface or a sandy beach.
- Anti reflective Lenses
These block the glare reflecting from the back surface of the lenses.
- Mirror Coated Lenses
These have a special coating on the outside of the lenses. Thus they reflect a good amount of light back and effectively reduce the amount of light entering the eyes.
Such lenses are very useful in extremely bright conditions.
- Gradient Lenses
These lenses are tinted dark at the top and going lighter lower down.
- Double Gradient Lenses
These are tinted equally at both the top and the bottom while being lightest in color at the middle.
- Photo chromatic Lenses
These are colored lenses that change their level of darkness in response to the surrounding brightness.
Though lens color has no bearing on the UV protection particular color lenses work better in certain situations. For example, yellow lenses for target shooting and brown lenses for golf players as these provide a better and clearer view thus enhancing vision for the related sports.
Some Points To Keep In Mind While Buying Sunglasses
- One type of sunglasses will definitely not be suitable for all occasions.For instance, one day you could be by the beach and the next day you could be playing golf.
In the first case, polaroid lenses will help to avoid the horizontal glare from the water and sand, while for golf, brown tinted lenses will help in better depth perception.
- Hold the sunglasses at some distance in front to check for distortion in lens by moving the sunglasses across the field of view.
- More expensive sunglasses do not necessarily offer the best UV protection. They could be more trendy than protective.
- Purchase sunglasses that cover the entire eyes well. Also be sure the eyes are not visible through the lenses.
- A lighter color frame may not come through on a fair skin and vice versa. Therefore consider your clothes color, skin color, hair color while selecting sunglasses.
- If you want trendy and good quality sunglasses go for branded ones like the ones mentioned below.
Some Points To Consider When Choosing A Frame
It is very important that the sunglasses we choose also look good on our face. This includes the style of the frame and the color of the lenses.
When choosing sunglasses one should consider these points.
- Sunglasses frames matching primarily with the skin tone and then with the eye & hair color go better than ones that do not.
- The shape of the frame should contrast with the shape of the face.
- The size of the frame should be in proportion to the size of the face.
Choosing Sunglasses Based On The Shape Of The Face
Face shapes are of 7 types :
Round, Oval, Heart, Square, Diamond, Oblong & Triangular.
Choose frames that suit your face and add to your personality rather than blindly following trends. However if you wish to accentuate a particular feature like a sweet and delicate face then you could go in for a much larger frame that draws attention. Usually, frames that at contrast with the shape of the face are selected. Select frames and lenses that go well with your skin tone, eye color and hair color too.
- Oval Face
This is the most well balanced face.
Most frame styles go well with this type of face but do not select a large frame.
- Round Face
This face is shorter than an oval face but with smooth curves and without any abrupt angles. Frames which add some angles will go well with this face shape and make the face appear longer.
- Heart Shape Face
This face is wider at the forehead & narrower at the chin with prominent cheekbones.
Choose sunglasses that are wider at the base than at the top for a chin broadening effect or select rimless sunglasses.
Avoid top wide and decorated sunglasses.
- Square Face
A face wide both at the forehead and chin levels.
Sunglasses that do not make the face appear wider but accentuate the length of the face would do well in this case.
Angular frames are out. Round or oval frames are in.
- Oblong Face
As the name says this face is longer than it is wide with high cheek bones, long nose and high forehead .
Choose tall frames with broad lenses and wide or decorated temples to add width.
- Diamond Face
This face is narrower at both the eye line and the jaw line. The chin is small with prominent cheek bones.
Oval, cat eye or rimless frames go well with this face, the latter accentuating the cheek bones.
- Triangular Face
This face has a narrow forehead and wide jaw. The eye line widens at the cheeks and chin.
Semi rimless frames and top heavy frames suit this type of face.
Some Leading Brands In Sunglasses
It is an Italian brand, founded in 1937 and the biggest manufacturer of sunglasses
It is an American brand founded in 1937 manufacturing sports products.
It is an Italian brand founded in 1913 manufacturing fashion goods.
It is an American brand founded in 1937, manufacturing electronics and eyewear.
It is an Italian brand founded in 1921 manufacturing consumer goods.
It is an Italian brand founded in 1925, dealing in multinational luxury goods.
It is an American brand founded in 1981 manufacturing fashion goods.
It is an American brand manufacturing fashion goods.
- DKNY (DONNA KARAN NEW YORK)
It is an American brand founded in 1981 manufacturing fashion goods.
- EMPORIO ARMANI
It is an Italian fashion company founded in 1975.
Peggy shares the importance of wearing sunglasses for eye health in this hub!
- Eye Protection and the Importance of Wearing Sunglasses
There are many good reasons to wear sunglasses in addition to fashion. Learn about Pterygium, Photokeratitis, Cataract, Cancer Prevention & more.
Some of my other hubs on Lifestyle
- High Blood Cholesterol - How To Control It Naturally
High blood cholesterol causes high blood pressure, heart diseases and can be a risk factor for a heart attack. To know how to reduce cholesterol levels naturally, read on...
- Rheumatism And Arthritis - Symptoms, Causes And Its...
Rheumatism and arthritis are two diseases that can be controlled by proper lifestyle management and natural home remedies. To know more about them and how they can be controlled, read on...
- Natural Home Remedies To Control High Blood Pressure...
High blood pressure is more of a lifestyle disease than anything else. Even chronic cases respond to a sensible lifestyle change along with natural remedies which are available in every home. To find out which natural food benefits in high blood pres
- About Vegetarianism And A Vegetarian Diet - Some Health Aspects And Benefits
Do you know a vegetarian diet is healthier than a meat diet? Want to know more? Read on...
- Some Tips To Keep Eyes Healthy With Videos By Baba Ramdev
Our immediate connection with the outside world is through the eyes. It thus becomes imperative that we maintain our eyes in good health for as long as possible. To know how read on...
Importance Of Sunglasses For Health
How To Choose Sunglasses?
© 2012 Rajan Singh Jolly